• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where have all the KJV defenders gone?

Discussion in 'Fundamentalist Christians' started by tracifish, Feb 28, 2007.

1. AACJ

AACJ Please Pray

+938
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Yes, it only takes about an hour to learn old English words that more accurately reflect the Greek than do the modern Bible versions. Some of the language of the KJV was fabricated to more accurately reflect the Greek. In addition, the KJV has its own built-in dictionary. And yes, you are correct, the KJV is more conducive to memorization (the cadence and syllabification, etc). Too many new Christians are unaware of the many benefits of reading from the KJV.

It's nothing but a smoke screen to bring in the sales when claims are made by the Bible makers that the KJV is harder to read from. Readability tests demonstrate otherwise. I doubt a child will understand what a "habitation" (new version) is, but the same child will more than likely know what a "house" is (KJV).

In my opinion, new versions are largely commercial enterprises. This has certain accompanying evils.

That being said, I believe Christians should be praying for a worthy successor to the KJV that is just as inspired. A worthy successor will not come forth if it it not brought forth by prayer. The KJV came forth only because of prayer. Too many Christians are not mindful of this. However, this will require translators and makers that will bow the knee to the Holy Spirit and not to copyright law. Accurate Bible translation is not just an academic exercise; it is a spiritual work requiring Spirit-led translators.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Lady Bug

Lady Bug Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,543
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I don't think the KJV is that hard to understand lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+100,366
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    i agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Lady Bug

Lady Bug Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,543
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    the only part that's a little hard is the Pauline epistles for some reason...I don't know why...lol.

5. brinny

+100,366
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    i agree, but like you said, they're not that hard to understand. :)

6. SistrNChrist

SistrNChrist Newbie

+121
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Depends, because some people might have a hard time with the Old English style of the KJV. I personally can understand it, because I've read a lot of Shakespeare, which was written around the time that the KJV came out, but I get that some people have an easier time understanding NKJV/NIV translations.

7. AACJ

AACJ Please Pray

+938
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    As I understand it, the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level Indicator has the kjv as more readable than many of the popular English versions.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. ItIsFinished!

ItIsFinished! Jesus Christ is our only hope.

+836
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    In my opinion the KJV is the best English translation.
    Wow this thread has been going on over a decade.

9. brinny

+100,366
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    LOL!

10. Pioneer3mm

Pioneer3mm New Member Supporter

+41
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There are still some kjv defenders...
    - Who declare that kjv is the only Bible
    Christians should use!!

11. BaptistBibleBeliever

BaptistBibleBeliever Brother Virgil Supporter

+82
    United States
    Baptist
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    I hold to the view that the KJV is the best Bible and that God has used it to the saving of millions over the past 408 years. Yet, I find myself accused of being a cultist. I once was a Mormon, so I know what a cultist is. Holding to the KJB does not make one a cultist.

12. BaptistBibleBeliever

+82
    United States
    Baptist
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    I have asked the powers to be to give us our own group where we can be free with the inane arguments and simply post using a single Bible and not worry about threads become a Babylonian tongues confusion. I loathe hearing how one Bible has it right and the KJB is inherently corrupt.

13. BaptistBibleBeliever

+82
    United States
    Baptist
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Exactly! You don't hear about the multitudes clamoring for Shakespeare to be rewritten in easier language. I find it funny that the newer translations also have 'archaic' language in them but no one seems to mind that.

14. Brotherly Spirit

Brotherly Spirit Well-Known Member Supporter

+636
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Wow a lot of needed information. The Bible is the way to go for clarity about beliefs, but it's more complicated then I thought. What I had in mind was literal versus contextual, for example I've been mainly using NASB online and the only Bible offline is NKJV Gideon New Testament.

Acts 8:37 NIV;KJV - - Bible Gateway
    Acts 12:4 NASB;KJV - When he had seized him, he put him in - Bible Gateway

Couple examples from the quoted posts and video. First time seeing a verse omitted at the site (mentions in footnotes). And also surprise to see Easter in the Bible, the video said it's a different context used than elsewhere for Passover. What exactly is the meaning of Easter in KJV Acts 8:37, another context for Passover or another holy day like the Easter that's celebrated today?

15. BaptistBibleBeliever

+82
    United States
    Baptist
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Easter means Easter, the pagan holiday of the Caesars.

16. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Well-Known Member

+2,755
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Single
    Maybe they learned their translation worshipping is a bit silly.

17. obadiahorthodox

obadiahorthodox Newbie

+5
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Ha Ha Ha, I own a 1764 Scottish KJV Bible and I believe (snark) THAT is the Only True KJV all others are heretical