where exactly did preterist beliefs orginate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenlu

May 29, 2002
Visit site
✟625.00
Thanks a lot davo...I've scanned through them and they look like they will be very helpful...

I have a question...for this question...let's say preterism is correct...I believe I've heard posters say that this age will last forever...as in the earth and human beings being born on earth forever...Do you believe this to be true?...if so, do you believe that this world will ever get back to it's original purpose as in the Garden of Eden...since the Garden was in fact on earth...I could see this happening? What do you think...?

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Originally posted by jenlu
I have a question...for this question...let's say preterism is correct...I believe I've heard posters say that this age will last forever...as in the earth and human beings being born on earth forever...Do you believe this to be true?...if so, do you believe that this world will ever get back to it's original purpose as in the Garden of Eden...since the Garden was in fact on earth...I could see this happening? What do you think...?

Hi jenlu. I guess the "original purpose" of Eden was "relationship" with God. Wilful sin fractured that relationship and Christ's Coming was all about restoring that relationship. Focusing upon the "temporal" nature of things IMO misses the mark in the sense that we can become like Nicodemus who misunderstood the spiritual significance and essence of what "rebirth" was all about because he had a "temporal mindset."

I have no scriptural reason to believe God's good world will not be as Paul says -"world without end." I can see the real possibilty that through the grace of God humanity will continue to discover more and more how God's world works, and so through scientific means make "life" [physical] as we know it, better for all. How that will all work out I have no idea. Man because of sin has the tendency to corrupt the good that God gives -that's why this world will always need the Gospel, and why we will always have opportunity to share it.

davo

Upvote 0
Originally posted by davo

Hi jenlu. I guess the "original purpose" of Eden was "relationship" with God. Wilful sin fractured that relationship and Christ's Coming was all about restoring that relationship. Focusing upon the "temporal" nature of things IMO misses the mark in the sense that we can become like Nicodemus who misunderstood the spiritual significance and essence of what "rebirth" was all about because he had a "temporal mindset."

I have no scriptural reason to believe God's good world will not be as Paul says -"world without end." I can see the real possibilty that through the grace of God humanity will continue to discover more and more how God's world works, and so through scientific means make "life" [physical] as we know it, better for all. How that will all work out I have no idea. Man because of sin has the tendency to corrupt the good that God gives -that's why this world will always need the Gospel, and why we will always have opportunity to share it.

davo

Good points davo. What most people miss in the Bible is that God never came to restore the earth back to it's original purpose. God came to restore man back into his presences. The Garden of Eden has taken on a much higher form. It called the heavenly.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by gwyyn
I was wondering when did the first preterist views orginate? Do you get all your evidence about the fulfillment of the first part of Revelations and Matthew 24 from Josephus?

I believe that preterism originated with this man Spanish Jesuit Luis De Alcazar (1554-1613), although this is just info I found on the internet. He wrote Investigation of the Hidden Sense of the Apocalypse.

Upvote 0
This is a post from Terry cz the second coming of Christ.

All of christianity is false. Your Jesus said in Matthews 10 :23 that he would return before his disciples went through the cities of Israel. That did not happen so he is a false prophet.

Againg You Jesus said in matthew 16:28 that his disciples would not die before he returned. That did not happen either which makes Jesus a false prophet.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Manifestation1*AD70
This is a post from Terry cz the second coming of Christ.

All of christianity is false. Your Jesus said in Matthews 10 :23 that he would return before his disciples went through the cities of Israel. That did not happen so he is a false prophet.

Againg You Jesus said in matthew 16:28 that his disciples would not die before he returned. That did not happen either which makes Jesus a false prophet.

This to me seems like he is looking at this strictly with human wisdom. Perhaps Christ did come in judgement when the temple was destroyed in 70 A.D., but I do not think that He came as most consider the "second" time. I don't see anywhere in the Scriptures where He says that He will only come a "second" time. I do not think that He has come in His glory, gathering His chosen from the ends of the earth.

Those passages can be interpreted different ways. I know the way that you interpret them, but if I interpret it a different way, it does not mean that Jesus is a false prophet. I know that He is not. I have faith, even if the Bible does not always make sense to me. God's ways are not my own...He speaks in Spirit, and because His ways are so great and beyond my own...it can be hard to pin Him down with my own thinking. I have faith. Whether or not someone thinks Him a false prophet. Perhaps they need to think that He came already the "second" time, because if they didn't they wouldn't be able to believe according to the way they interpret those verses. I hope that came out the way I wanted it to.

The important thing is that I love the Lord, and I have faith in Him.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just got done reading those 2 verses and much more also and at what times they were said.
Both of those verses can easily refer to God rising from the dead and appearing to his disciples. He did return. He returned from the dead.

Much different though then the actually 2nd coming of Jesus. Hope that gives you something to think about and I didn't read the whole thread so I hope it has not already been posted. ;)

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Originally posted by Project 86
Just got done reading those 2 verses and much more also and at what times they were said.
Both of those verses can easily refer to God rising from the dead and appearing to his disciples. He did return. He returned from the dead.

Much different though then the actually 2nd coming of Jesus. Hope that gives you something to think about and I didn't read the whole thread so I hope it has not already been posted.

G'day Project :wave: , since you read the passages you would have noticed that before the "Son of Man" comes Matt 10:23 -they were to be persecuted from city to city. You'll find a record of this in Acts, AFTER Christ's resurrection, but not before.

When the "Son of Man" came in His Kingdom in Matt 16:28, He came giving rewards as per verse 27. Both the scriptures speak of resurrection -but not Christ's, this was The Resurrection [with rewards] that was concurrent with The Parousia and The Judgment in AD70.

davo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Road Runner
What did I walk into here? I thought with all the signs of the upcoming Revelation, this idea had been put to rest.

What "signs" are those?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.