Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Where does the Bible say anyone is a child of Mary other than Jesus?

How can James be the brother of the Lord if his father is not Joseph?

matt 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;

3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;

if Jesus has brothers why is only James called the brother of the Lord? Why is he so special?

why is lot called Abraham’s brother when he is his nephew?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

matt 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;

3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;

if Jesus has brothers why is only James called the brother of the Lord? Why is he so special?

In short, it doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Any relative could be called brother as in Abraham and lot
And Mary’s sister also named Mary?
Jn 19:25
It’s her sister in law.
It still does not say anyone is Mary’s child accept Jesus!
When they went to Jerusalem when He was 12 the family only had 3 members Joseph, Mary, and Jesus!
At the cross Jesus gave his mother to John that would not be right if She had other sons!

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Not to quibble, because I agree with your main point, but the James that is traditionally called the brother of the Lord is not the same James as the apostle and the son of Zebedee. Which brings up the interesting thought that other than Judas, James was the first apostle killed and John was the last to die.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
the James that is traditionally called the brother of the Lord is not the same James as the apostle and the son of Zebedee.
I think the Catholic tradition is that James the brother of Lord is the son of Alpheus. And I think this makes sense. Jude (not Iscariot) writer of Jude's epistle, is also a brother of James, but not son of Alpheus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the Catholic tradition is that James the brother of Lord is the son of Alpheus. And I think this makes sense. Jude (not Iscariot) writer of Jude's epistle, is also a brother of James, but not son of Alpheus.
You might find this interesting then.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox Tradition is that James is a son of Joseph,
Yes, I remember reading that EO believe Joseph was a widower. Are Joseph, Jude, and Simon also Joseph's sons? Who is Mary of Cleopas, then? Was any of Jesus' brothers included in the 12 Apostles?

I remember reading the Protoevangelium of James a long time ago, and rejecting this belief. I can't remember the reasons, though. It's been a long time :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Cleopas was Joseph’s brother His wife is called Mary’s sister but it’s sister in law!

Joseph may have been married before the scripture is silent about it and Jesus’s brothers and sisters are probably cousins some of the are children of another Mary! But Mary the sinless mother of God and mother of our salvation is a perpetual Virgin and has only one child!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember reading the Protoevangelium of James a long time ago, and rejecting this belief. I can't remember the reasons, though. It's been a long time :).
Consider that the Protoevangelion of James is based on Tradition, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Mary the sinless mother of God and mother of our salvation is a perpetual Virgin and has only one child!

Mary was not sinless

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Mary herself knew she was in need of a Savior,

Luke 1:46 "And Mary said, "My soul doth magnify the Lord,"

Luke 1:47 "And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior."

Where in the Bible, does it say she was sinless? She was a good woman and had found favor with God but only one was without sin and that was Christ.

Luke 2:7 "And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

It says he was her firstborn. The first, meaning she had others after him.

Matthew 1:25 "And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn Son: and he called His name JESUS."

It says specifically, he knew her "not till" she had brought forth her firstborn Son.

So he did "know" her afterwards making her not a virgin anymore. So we can safely assume she had other children.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Consider that the Protoevangelion of James is based on Tradition, not the other way around.
If James, brother of the Lord, is son of Joseph then we have 4 Jameses: In addition to him there is the son of Zebedee, the son of Alpheus, and the son of Mary of Cleopas.

This is certainly possible. But it is easier to believe there were only 2 Jameses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Mary was not sinless

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

1st Paul was quoting the ot which say all have sinned accept my people!
2nd this is a generalization, it’s not absolute, it does not include Jesus Christ, Mary the ever Virgin Mother of God, the new eve and ark of the new covenant, or children under the age of reason, or those with mental issues or any who lacks free will!
The Bible often uses generalizations which are not absolute or literally true only normally or generally true for example: Matt 3:5-6 did all Jerusalem go out to John and be baptized of Him? No it’s a generalization.

Mary herself knew she was in need of a Savior,

Luke 1:46 "And Mary said, "My soul doth magnify the Lord,"

Luke 1:47 "And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior."

Mary is a creature and all creatures need salvation, but Mary was saved in the first moment of Her creation, you can save a person from a pit or prevent them from falling in the pit in both cases the person was saved!

Mary’s very existence her soul magnifies the Lord, Lk 1:43 Mother of God, Lk 1:28 Hail Mary full of Grace and the Holy Spirit which She communicated to Elizabeth and her whole family, highly favored, found favor ( our salvation ) with God, not for herself for she was already immaculately conceived, but for us her spiritual children, Jn 19:26-27 rev 12:17 for she is the mother of our salvation! Lk 1:38 Lk 2:30

Where in the Bible, does it say she was sinless? She was a good woman and had found favor with God but only one was without sin and that was Christ.

Lk 1:28 full of grace

Luke 2:7 "And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

It says he was her firstborn. The first, meaning she had others after him.

no it does not! I have one son, he was my first born, and my last born, and my only born! And it says Her son ( singular one and only) is God! Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Matthew 1:25 "And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn Son: and he called His name JESUS."

It says specifically, he knew her "not till"she had brought forth her firstborn Son.

So he did "know" her afterwards making her not a virgin anymore. So we can safely assume she had other children.

No! That’s a way of defining a point in time, Matthew is proving the Virgin birth and making it clear they had no relations up to this point! It does not say they did after that point, how could a mere man enter where the Holy Spirit conceived the Son of God? Nowhere does the scripture say they ever had relations in fact it says the opposite, Lk 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? she is a perpetual Virgin who made a vow of perpetual virginity to God and would not even become the Mother of God if it meant violating Her vow to God Lk 1 makes no sense without Her vow of perpetual virginity! The scripture only says one person is Mary’s biological Child! That’s Jesus Christ our Salvation and Mary is the mother of our salvation!

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
she is a perpetual Virgin who made a vow of perpetual virginity to God and would not even become the Mother of God if it meant violating Her vow to God Lk 1

Not biblical. Where are the scriptures to prove this that she made a vow of perpetual virginity?

And there was no reason to keep her a virgin. She was married to Joseph.

How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

Of course she hadn't up to that point. Why do you think God found favor with her. But there was no reason for her to remain a virgin after Jesus was born. Her and Joseph were married.

The word "till" is the Greek word 2193 heos and it definitely means until she gave birth. It means until.

how could a mere man enter where the Holy Spirit conceived the Son of God?

Again, your words, not God. The bible specifically says she knew him after the birth of Christ. If you don't believe than so be it. But that is what the bible says.

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Is 7:14 Mt 1:23

Mt 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. Are her other children called Christ? Only Jesus was born of Her!

Lk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.

32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

she shall bring forth a son, one, singular that’s scripture!

Are her other children called Jesus and Son of God? No

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mt 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. Are her other children called Christ? Only Jesus was born of Her!

Matthew and Luke only have the lineage of Jesus, it has nothing do with Mary (other than being his mother) and other children by her.

Again, where are the scriptures that says she made a vow of perpetual virginity?

Upvote 0