Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Most all of us have friends or family who worship slightly different than we do. And we do on occasion visit their chosen house of worship. Generally, this is no problem, and except for the differing frequency in which the Lord’s table, or communion is served from church to church, we are mutually ministered to, but not all.

The people of God who have kept the table of the Lord shouldn’t have to look at this as if what they are about to partake is the most significant table or not, it is in my thinking if we are not complicit in adding to nor taking away anything surrounding this tradition, we are upholding the proper ‘worthy’ tradition.. It is of my opinion that one of the greatest misconceptions arise out of whether the “bread” or cup is changed?

“Eucharistic action into Flesh and Blood.” – Theodore of Mopsuestia Commentary on Matthew 26:26

Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you,
unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man
and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Whoever has the Son has life;
whoever does not have the
Son of God does not have life.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—
and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God

For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup,
you do show the Lord's death till he comes.
Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread,
and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily,
shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

(John 6:53, 1 John 5:12, Ephesians 2:8, 1 Corinthians 11:26,27)​

What keeps us apart is this;

The one wants to proclaim Jn 6:53 nourished by 1Jn 5:12 and everything under it,

The other wants to be “nourished” from John 6:53 as a separate work and everything he can add to it.

We cannot add and we cannot take away, we must not tamper with simplicity!

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Most all of us have friends or family who worship slightly different than we do. And we do on occasion visit their chosen house of worship. Generally, this is no problem, and except for the differing frequency in which the Lord’s table, or communion is served from church to church, we are mutually ministered to, but not all.

The people of God who have kept the table of the Lord shouldn’t have to look at this as if what they are about to partake is the most significant table or not, it is in my thinking if we are not complicit in adding to nor taking away anything surrounding this tradition, we are upholding the proper ‘worthy’ tradition.. It is of my opinion that one of the greatest misconceptions arise out of whether the “bread” or cup is changed?

“Eucharistic action into Flesh and Blood.” – Theodore of Mopsuestia Commentary on Matthew 26:26

Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you,
unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man
and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Whoever has the Son has life;
whoever does not have the
Son of God does not have life.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—
and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God

For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup,
you do show the Lord's death till he comes.
Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread,
and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily,
shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

(John 6:53, 1 John 5:12, Ephesians 2:8, 1 Corinthians 11:26,27)​

What keeps us apart is this;

The one wants to proclaim Jn 6:53 nourished by 1Jn 5:12 and everything under it,

The other wants to be “nourished” from John 6:53 as a separate work and everything he can add to it.

We cannot add and we cannot take away, we must not tamper with simplicity!
I shall reflect on this very important subject.

Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'Where does a son dine?' That's a good question? We dine with our brothers and sisters in Christ. Concerning the 'Communion' or 'Breaking of Bread' or 'Lord's supper',we follow the Bible teaching on participating in it. The bread and wine are 'emblems' or 'symbols' of the Lord's Body and Blood. Some believe in 'transubstantiation',ie. that the bread and wine actually becomes the Body and Blood of Christ. We take communion in 'remembrance' of Christ. 'For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you show the Lord's death until He comes'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some churches have a closed communion ... even some non catholic churches.. they will specify that the Table is only for those that believe (the saved) , some like to restrict the table to those that are members... I would listen closely to the communion call from the pastor and respect his doctrinal position.. The body of Christ is composed of "every tribe and nation", communion is a remembrance we share with other believers

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟987,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What is it on everyone’s heart but to sew this up once and for all without demolishing those last strands of unity! So, on behalf of that which each of us represent, be that smaller or larger in comparative tally truth, we pray it receives from the Lord the proper acknowledgement.

One thing that comes to mind there for me if that is what your wishes are; does that help or hinder this effort? First off, the effort to protect unity isn’t being accomplished till we appropriately admit,

I can’t do it without you. There are things I can’t do without them. There might be things they can’t do without me. Remember the words of Paul? Some are “of Cephas” > founder, some are of Paul > insight, some are of Apollos > disciplined. Now which of those hands could say to one of those feet, I don’t need you?

The spirit of faulting is quite robust at times, others gravitate to the above and we certainly don’t want to subject the Lord’s table to the accompaniment of demons. I haven’t yet suggested that, for that wouldn’t be possible till the fuller rejection of “life” in Christ alone and not from the emblems were permitted.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What is it on everyone’s heart but to sew this up once and for all without demolishing those last strands of unity! So, on behalf of that which each of us represent, be that smaller or larger in comparative tally truth, we pray it receives from the Lord the proper acknowledgement.

One thing that comes to mind there for me if that is what your wishes are; does that help or hinder this effort? First off, the effort to protect unity isn’t being accomplished till we appropriately admit,

I can’t do it without you. There are things I can’t do without them. There might be things they can’t do without me. Remember the words of Paul? Some are “of Cephas” > founder, some are of Paul > insight, some are of Apollos > disciplined. Now which of those hands could say to one of those feet, I don’t need you?

The spirit of faulting is quite robust at times, others gravitate to the above and we certainly don’t want to subject the Lord’s table to the accompaniment of demons. I haven’t yet suggested that, for that wouldn’t be possible till the fuller rejection of “life” in Christ alone and not from the emblems were permitted.
'i can't do it without you. There are things I can't do without them. There might be things they can't do without me. Remember the words of Paul 'Some are of Cephas - founder. Some are of Paul - insight. Some are of Apollos - disciplined. Now which of those hands could say to one of those feet,I don't need you?' Thanks for food for thought,'rock'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟987,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My question is for my many brothers out there, after so much affectionate promotion, will the teaching of the ‘Eucharist’ survive the Lord’s scrutiny in that day?

I, like many welcome the Apostolic teachings / traditions, not the least among these things said, one inscription reads, “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ”. The word of Christ and the Apostles have not let us wander far unto our own devises concerning the Lord’s table. But not all.

In the truest sense, it is a marvel that the teachings of the Eucharist and the liberty it takes to extract “receiving” (not life) certain things even when it is not clearly stated. But then, refuse exactness of the Holy Spirit with that same zealous promotion over openly stated; 1. “Proclamation” of the sacrificial fulfillment and 2. “Discernment” of the body, the Church.

Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

(1 Corinthians 11:27-29)​

Wherein did we receive such a device but to have sufficient peace over His word,

For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

(1 Corinthians 11:26)​

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟987,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Off topic, yet, allow me to drive it home brothers and sisters.

What climate of importance does the reader suppose an issue of this sort is tied to? I'll tell you how much! After one’s conversion, this one stacks right up there with confession of one’s sin. But something has made many threads, not just this one – toxic.

If sonship was secured with joy, then after 10 or 30 views of this topic of higher importance, the innocence of righteousness by Christ would signify joy from God’s kingdom through the Holy Spirit. For as Paul stated, those three comprise the kingdom of God anywhere the believer exercises them.

But, as it is here, well over 500 views, we can rest in the Lord’s very own response to a poor show of thanksgiving,

But where are the [many]? Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” – (Luke 17:17,18)​

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟987,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper. For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

(1 Corinthian 11:26,20-22)​

When some argue, “the actual body and blood’, while others argue it only a ‘feast of memory and hope, while retaining the ‘symbolic’ use of the same. Few have retained verses 20-22 specific context of ‘supper’.

Without adding reason as to why the Lord’s table transformed itself from verses 20-22 actual meal-setting, to a fully condensed ceremony, are we still 'despising' this institution by that transformation that wouldn’t sustain a bird?

Upvote 0