Where do you buy your headscarves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoseofLima

frostymama said:
A bit off topic, but does anyone know when sites like modestworld and tznius restock their inventory? Everytime I go to a site selling decent modest clothes they are completely sold out of most sizes (especially the biggest ones). I'd love to get a skirt or 2, but they never have any in stock.
I have found it to be totally random, although sometimes e-mailing them can provide more info. I bought my daughter some skirts from modestworld- and they have been able to endure her for a year and a half (she is the roughest, toughest little thing!).

There is another great site for skirts www.hannahlise.com.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
RoseofLima said:
There is another great site for skirts www.hannahlise.com.

Oooh, that's a great site. Those remind me of the skirts I bought from Loose Lucy's (a hippie store :D ). My Lucy skirts are beautiful but the viscose fabric is rather delicate and I keep having to seal holes in it.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Kgreg said:
Am I correct in assuming that the Orthodox Church requires women to cover their heads in church?

To my knowledge, the covering of heads of women was a long long tradition in most Christian Churches until sometime in the 50's or early 60's.

Some monestaries require that women conver their heads. I suspect there are a few parishes here and there in America that require it.

Interesting, most of the "traditional Orthodox" countries has seen a drastric reduction in women wearing headcoverings to the point were it can be rare to see this.

While at the same time, many churches in America filling up with converts are showing more and more women covering their heads.

(That said, some of the Russian Orthodox Churches, including ROCOR have been using headcoverings all along, so it is not just a convert thing to do.)

Those of us who wear headcoverings do not see this as belittling to women or insulting. It affirms our womanhood! Headcoverings also help us to focus in our prayers. When I look at an icon of a female saint with extremely few exceptions their heads are covered. They are hardle second class in the Kingdom of God.

However, there are people who do not like to wear headcoverings as they mistakenly see this as insulting to women or the church saying women are "dirty".

Some women do not wear headcoverings because they don't want to cause trouble in their parish even though they would want to wear them. Maybe they have been told "women do not cover their heads here" by other women.

I have been told that some women do not want to look the "the old babuska's" (the old women of the church) and they think a scarf will make them look old too. They want to look young and modern. I was told once by someone that they didn't wear a scarf as it would mess up her hair.

So there are many reasons why some woman wear scarves and others do not. I personally do not think that the prayers of a scarf wearing woman is heard any differently than the prayers of a woman who does not cover their hair. I also think that there are many many women demonstrating the fruits of theosis (spiritual growth) who do not cover their heads. Therefore, imo, it does not matter if a women is covered or not. But I do think if a woman feels compelled to cover her head, that she would be wrong to avoid doing so unless her Spiritual Father has told her not to cover.

Upvote 0

Kgreg

Nov 1, 2005
New York NY
✟1,773.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Whoa!!! I wasn't being critical! I was just asking a question.

II Corinthians admonishes women to cover their heads while praying and men to not cover their heads. This is where the tradition of women covering their heads in church comes from.

I think it was Vatican II when the RCC stopped requiring women to cover thier heads in church. I was visiting a friend recently. He has a picture of him toasting his best friend and the friend's bride at the post-wedding luncheon in 1962. The wedding had been that morning in a Catholic church. The women in the wedding party at the table all have what look like 12 inch by 12 inch lace veils on their heads. Perhaps you have also seem some footage from the JFK days immediately post assassination showing young women going into Catholic churchs to pray and pulling out small veils and covering their heads as they enter the churches. I recently caught a mass on EWTV, the Catholic cable channel. The mass was in a small church/TV studio chapel. One young woman in the congregation of about 50 people was wearing a veil on her head.

I was aware that in the past the RCC had required women to cover their heads in church, but I did not realize that it was a tradition in the OC too. I think the eveidence of this tradition in Protestant churches is best demonstated today by women in the UK always wearing a hat to a church service of any sort. Here in NYC, you will still see this among older women in some of the older congregations.

I, being very anti-legalism, don't think that covering or uncovering a woman's head in church is a factor of salvation or affects the power of her prayer. Although, it is nice to see modesty and humility in women and in men.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Kgreg said:
Whoa!!! I wasn't being critical! I was just asking a question.

II Corinthians admonishes women to cover their heads while praying and men to not cover their heads. This is where the tradition of women covering their heads in church comes from.

I think it was Vatican II when the RCC stopped requiring women to cover thier heads in church. I was visiting a friend recently. He has a picture of him toasting his best friend and the friend's bride at the post-wedding luncheon in 1962. The wedding had been that morning in a Catholic church. The women in the wedding party at the table all have what look like 12 inch by 12 inch lace veils on their heads. Perhaps you have also seem some footage from the JFK days immediately post assassination showing young women going into Catholic churchs to pray and pulling out small veils and covering their heads as they enter the churches. I recently caught a mass on EWTV, the Catholic cable channel. The mass was in a small church/TV studio chapel. One young woman in the congregation of about 50 people was wearing a veil on her head.

I was aware that in the past the RCC had required women to cover their heads in church, but I did not realize that it was a tradition in the OC too. I think the eveidence of this tradition in Protestant churches is best demonstated today by women in the UK always wearing a hat to a church service of any sort. Here in NYC, you will still see this among older women in some of the older congregations.

I, being very anti-legalism, don't think that covering or uncovering a woman's head in church is a factor of salvation or affects the power of her prayer. Although, it is nice to see modesty and humility in women and in men.

Oh, I didn't think you were being critical. I was just answering your question.

BTW, if you read the contents of Vatican II there is no mention at all of headcoverings for women. Interviews right after the the conference (or whatever they call it, can't think of it now) said only that it was "not important" which many say means the matter was not important enough to discuss, but other interpreted to mean covering ones head is not important.

However, that said, the Orthodox Church is as old as the Catholic Church and the tradition of covering one's head dates back to the very earliest moments of the church in 33 A.D.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Xenia Rose said:
However, that said, the Orthodox Church is as old as the Catholic Church and the tradition of covering one's head dates back to the very earliest moments of the church in 33 A.D.

Yep.

Besides the passage in I Corinthians 11, if you check out the paintings in the Roman Catacombs the women who are praying are also veiled. It is a very old tradition within Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Xenia Rose said:
Oh, I didn't think you were being critical. I was just answering your question.

BTW, if you read the contents of Vatican II there is no mention at all of headcoverings for women. Interviews right after the the conference (or whatever they call it, can't think of it now) said only that it was "not important" which many say means the matter was not important enough to discuss, but other interpreted to mean covering ones head is not important.

Vatican II, What is Vatican II? :D

Upvote 0

Elizabethcynthia32

Jul 17, 2006
Central Florida
✟7,708.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if anyone here does it, but I buy my scarves at the thrift stores and at Goodwill. I wash them well when I get them home (as with anything else coming from any store) and they work well. Sometimes it's amazing what you find in places like that.

Cynthia:crosseo:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.