Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lately I've been thinking of my interactions with other people, as floating brains interacting with other floating brains... So is that where we are, in our brains..? Or are we our whole body..? Or is it that we are spirit's who are the lord's of our bodies, and every little chemical and electric reaction in our brain is like our own universe, and our consciousness is like a god of that little world? Or perhaps we're all interconnected pieces of a larger human spirit.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have a very well defined, visible limit. My brain doesn't "float" or interact directly with other brains (floating or other wise).

I also fail to see what this post has to do with ethics or morality.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lately I've been thinking of my interactions with other people, as floating brains interacting with other floating brains... So is that where we are, in our brains..? Or are we our whole body..? Or is it that we are spirit's who are the lord's of our bodies, and every little chemical and electric reaction in our brain is like our own universe, and our consciousness is like a god of that little world? Or perhaps we're all interconnected pieces of a larger human spirit.
We are our whole body.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are our whole body.

Except, when I look in the mirror at my eyes, I see eyes that are thousands of years old... These are not really my eyes. These eyes belong to my ancestors... But "me"... I am the vocal narrator that is called "consciousness".

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

We are the whole person, body, soul, and spirit, bound in a specific place. I can know that I am my body for I alone know what it is like to have my toe or something, but when it is separated by amputation I can no longer know what it is like to have or be that. The soul and spirit for Christians is self-evident. The activities on the three parts of the soul are in one place and nowhere else, I can not realize God from China when I am in America. So I end where my body ends.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Except, when I look in the mirror at my eyes, I see eyes that are thousands of years old... These are not really my eyes. These eyes belong to my ancestors... But "me"... I am the vocal narrator that is called "consciousness".
When I look in the mirror, I only see myself.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
There was a faith-healer of Deal,
Who said, "Although pain isn't real,​
If I sit on a pin
And it punctures my skin,​
I dislike what I fancy I feel."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Our DNA is so old, it's not even funny. We're the survivors of the survivors from the beginning of life.
From what I understand, in the resurrection, though we will have glorified bodies, it is THESE bodies, glorified. No, I don't know what that means, other than no ailments, disfigurements, disease or blemishes.

• Agree
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Try coming up with a useful invention, and see if it hasn't already been thought of. I'd bet it has.

Potentiality is limited. I don't think we're really as unique as we like to think we are. You could even have a near-identical twin somewhere in the world and not even closely related to you.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Try coming up with a useful invention, and see if it hasn't already been thought of. I'd bet it has.

Potentiality is limited. I don't think we're really as unique as we like to think we are. You could even have a near-identical twin somewhere in the world and not even closely related to you.
True. I'm 60% banana DNA, so that leaves a lot of room.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm still trying to figure out why I keep waking up as Me and not someone else.
I remember sitting on the potty trying to figure this out and I'm nearly 50 now, so it must be a tough question.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Or is it that we are spirit's who are the lord's of our bodies, and every little chemical and electric reaction in our brain is like our own universe, and our consciousness is like a god of that little world?

Eh, I can't make 1 hair of my head change color naturally. I can move my body, exercise it, build up muscle if I wanted to. More or less the same w my mind. I can even shut my eyes if I want to. But I can't turn off my hearing. If I'm in pain, I can't turn that off either - physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually... well, not without some chemical additives anyway, which I eventually had to forswear. So "Lord of my own body" seems a bit of an overreach. No one else has direct use of my appendages, so far as I can tell, that's good, but that's about it.

Even that can be an overreach (I know we both quit smoking recently, but how many times did you swear off previously, only to suddenly find you had auto-grabbed a pack and lit one up without remembering the swear-off? Quite a few for me)

I'm not entirely certain where my thoughts come from - I suspect "from the heart/soul" which can be a bit disconcerting depending on their quality and content from time to time.

"our brain is like our own universe, and our consciousness is like a god of that little world?"

Kind of, but small god, small world.
Imagination is limitless, but locked in that world, pretty impotent.
It's also limitless... but in a finite direction, so to speak. And not necessarily the best one.
And eventually things go bad there, like Lewis's "spoiled egg" that never hatched
I don't think we are meant to be Gods there either
(and believe me, I tried - it didn't go well)
(but it's OK, almost no one noticed lol)

Or perhaps we're all interconnected pieces of a larger human spirit.

I think we may be (having been created by a divine spirit) pieces of that divine spirit
So not seeking the will of that Creator and then doing it
(or knowing it, and then refusing and doing the opposite...)
...It's a little like a piece of God turning it's back on itself
Which sounds like it would be a pretty painful contortion
And I can assure you
It is

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our DNA is so old, it's not even funny. We're the survivors of the survivors from the beginning of life.

True, it took QUITE a lot to get us here. Not quite on topic w this thread, but I've been enjoying it lately.
Even in the last 1000 years, there have been an awful lot of 6's.
I think we needed a few just to get through the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
True, it took QUITE a lot to get us here. Not quite on topic w this thread, but I've been enjoying it lately.
Even in the last 1000 years, there have been an awful lot of 6's.
I think we needed a few just to get through the Cuban Missile Crisis.

For the first 20 seconds I agreed with him, then it all turned into the hackneyed PRATT known as the Fine Tuning argument.

Is there nothing new in life??

OB

Upvote 0