where do we go (if we have already passed) while we are waiting for Christ to return?

jikky

I'm a guy!
Jan 2, 2011
Australia
Visit site
✟7,737.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read this via - christianity dot net dot au

Since God has handed all judgment to his Son (Acts 17:31) - when Christ returns, we will all be judged by him (2 Corinthians 5:10; Romans 2:5b-11). At this time, all our ‘secret’ actions and thoughts will be revealed (1 Corinthians 4:5; 2 Peter 3:10b; Revelation 20:12). Those people who are not Christian (ie ‘those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel’) will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction (2 Thess 1:7-10; Matthew 25:46l:2 Peter 3:7b)) - there will not be a second chance for them to repent! - the time to repent is now. God is currently patient with non-Christians and wants them to repent (2 Peter 3:9). The future non-Christian condemnation is referred figuratively as being thrown into hell - ‘the lake of fire’ (Revelation 20:14-15) where the fire is not quenched (Mark 9:47-48). . Even non-Christians who have died before Christ returns will be judged at his return (Revelation 20: 13).

My question is, where do we go (if we have already passed) while we are waiting for Christ to return?

papaJP

Prophet
Nov 15, 2010
Kerrville, Texas
✟15,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may get many answers that are not the same. I can only tell you what I believe. Our soul and spirit will be with God in a period of rest. When Jesus returns we will all be given a new body and be transformed into perfection as part of God's Glory.

Be careful that you do not buy into the RCC's teaching of Purgatory as it is not biblical.

If you study the Book of Revelation it refers to those who are with God. It also talks of those who arise from the dead. Believers will be with God and nonbelievers will be in a place absence of God.

This is such a deep and complicated question that to answer would take many pages of bible verses and interpretation.

Upvote 0

Son of Israel

Oct 9, 2009
Rogue River, Oregon
✟1,338.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Since God has handed all judgment to his Son (Acts 17:31) - when Christ returns, we will all be judged by him (2 Corinthians 5:10; Romans 2:5b-11). At this time, all our ‘secret’ actions and thoughts will be revealed (1 Corinthians 4:5; 2 Peter 3:10b; Revelation 20:12). Those people who are not Christian (ie ‘those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel’) will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction (2 Thess 1:7-10; Matthew 25:46l:2 Peter 3:7b)) - there will not be a second chance for them to repent! - the time to repent is now. God is currently patient with non-Christians and wants them to repent (2 Peter 3:9). The future non-Christian condemnation is referred figuratively as being thrown into hell - ‘the lake of fire’ (Revelation 20:14-15) where the fire is not quenched (Mark 9:47-48). . Even non-Christians who have died before Christ returns will be judged at his return (Revelation 20: 13).

My question is, where do we go (if we have already passed) while we are waiting for Christ to return?

A Christian voluntarily dies in the waters of baptism. The price of death is satisfied as it is in Christ's death and resurrection that we die and are raised out of the water. It is a legal contract.
Now, death has no more power over us. We aren't hurt or affected in any way in the second death when our body "passes";

(Rev 2:11) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

:)

Upvote 0

papaJP

Prophet
Nov 15, 2010
Kerrville, Texas
✟15,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Christian voluntarily dies in the waters of baptism. The price of death is satisfied as it is in Christ's death and resurrection that we die and are raised out of the water. It is a legal contract.
Now, death has no more power over us. We aren't hurt or affected in any way in the second death when our body "passes";

(Rev 2:11)He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I think he is speaking of the first death of the body not the spirit.
When we die our first fleshly body returns to dust. Our spirit and soul go to be with God until the second coming and then in a new body we are resurrected to be with God to rule the new creation.

Upvote 0

Just4Jesus

Legend
Jan 16, 2006
Alabama
✟81,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is going to be a very interesting thread. I have read where if you are absent from the body you are present with Christ. Also Paul(I think) says we are asleep in Jesus waiting for His return. But we know it can be interpreted so many ways.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is going to be a very interesting thread. I have read where if you are absent from the body you are present with Christ. Also Paul(I think) says we are asleep in Jesus waiting for His return. But we know it can be interpreted so many ways.

It seems to me that we are awake, yes!
Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. Matthew 17:3

When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” Revelation 6:9-10

Upvote 0
H

Heavens

(Rev 2:11)He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

:)

Exactly :clap:
Nice post Son.
You don't "go" anywhere! You are alive now in Christ and death has no power over you in that you already died once. You remain forever in Christ our God! Praise Jesus! There isn't any other thing to be concerned about lol, Jesus has taken care of all that.

Upvote 0
H

Heavens

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I think he is speaking of the first death of the body not the spirit.
When we die our first fleshly body returns to dust. Our spirit and soul go to be with God until the second coming and then in a new body we are resurrected to be with God to rule the new creation.

? :confused:

Upvote 0

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Those who do not know God.....

1Jo 3:6No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.

So, I would add the word YET after the verse because that would be implied in Context.

Upvote 0

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Either you are in the lambs book of life, which is the Son's domain.

OR

You are in the line of Judgement which is the Father's domain.

The question is a soteriological issue. But the more important question, is how to get there. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

In Revelation 20:14 we read that hell is thrown into the lake of fire. You treat them as if they are the same, if I am understanding you correctly.

My former belief was that all in the white throne judgement went into the lake of fire.

I am no hold to that as it appears that some people do survive the white throne judgement. They go on to have their name entered into the book of life. This helps to explain the judgement of the nations, the sheep and the goats etc.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Grave. We are dead while we wait. It is as if (but not literally) as if we were asleep. Jesus said that the day is coming when everyone who is in the grave will hear his voice and come out. This is recorded in The gospel of John, Chapter 5.

Upvote 0

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Basically you rest.

As far as Matthew 17:3 goes, that's a very interesting verse. One theory to explain that without us being resurrected already is that:

Matthew, Mark, and Luke each record an account of the transfiguration of Jesus (Matthew 17:1-9; Mark 9:2-10; Luke 9:28-36). Notice Christ's instructions to the disciples as they descended the mountain: "Tell the vision to no one" (Matthew 17:9). A vision is not a material reality; it is a supernatural scene observed in the "mind's eye."
Moses was dead and buried long before this event (Deuteronomy 34:5-6), as was Elijah. The disciples saw these men only in the glory of the resurrection—an event which will not actually occur until the second coming of Christ (Hebrews 11:39; I Corinthians 15:51-52; I Thessalonians 4:13-17). So, the three disciples seeing Moses and Elijah in the transfiguration did not see ghosts or spirit beings of any kind but a vision of how they would look—glorified—in the resurrection.
The account of the transfiguration in Matthew 17 also explains Matthew 16:28: "Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste of death till they see the Son of man coming in His kingdom." Since God's Kingdom has not yet been established here on earth and the disciples all died, the obvious meaning is that some of the disciples were to be shown the splendor of the Kingdom in a vision. And so they were, through the transfiguration.

Could the whole thing be a vision that they had? It would make sense for Jesus to say "Tell no one the vision you have seen" if that's the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0