• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Where do I stand with God?

got_questions

Jul 29, 2018
Colorado
✟7,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I am writing this to get some advice about where I stand with God.

I was saved in the sixth grade and had a powerful salvation experience. I was filled with the Holy Spirit all the time in the year or so that followed, and it was wonderful.

But I changed schools the following year and eventually fell away. I got heavily into sins like inappropriate content, and it got so bad that I had demons speaking to me all the time and didn't even resist. Things got really dark, and I developed a dissociative disorder, which is like a type of multiple personalities.

I am now 30 years old and doubt my salvation. I have tried for years to come back, but I still have the dissociative disorder, and it is possible that there are parts of my mind that are unrepentant. I have said the sinner's prayer many times. I have been to deliverance ministries, and deliverance is a work in progress. I don't feel the Holy Spirit at all.

How can I be "saved" again and feel the Holy Spirit? I would do ANYTHING to get my relationship with God back. I would do absolutely anything. Please help! Thanks.

got_questions

Jul 29, 2018
Colorado
✟7,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I should also ask: what about people with multiple personalities when one part of them is repentant, and another part is not? Can they be saved?

In people with dissociative disorders, other "personalities" can be essentially reservoirs for anger and negative affect from past traumatic incidents. So if one of these personalities is not repentant, can a person still be saved?

And thank you, Basil. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
That is a question that I have never seen in all my years and I am older than probably 85% of the posters here. It would seem that yours is a question that only God can answer. Anyone here that gives you an answer is just giving you their view, as I know of nothing in Scripture that would give us a specific answer to your question.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I was saved in the sixth grade and had a powerful salvation experience. I was filled with the Holy Spirit all the time in the year or so that followed, and it was wonderful.

But I changed schools the following year and eventually fell away. I got heavily into sins like inappropriate content, and it got so bad that I had demons speaking to me all the time and didn't even resist. Things got really dark, and I developed a dissociative disorder, which is like a type of multiple personalities.

I am now 30 years old and doubt my salvation. I have tried for years to come back, but I still have the dissociative disorder, and it is possible that there are parts of my mind that are unrepentant. I have said the sinner's prayer many times. I have been to deliverance ministries, and deliverance is a work in progress. I don't feel the Holy Spirit at all.

How can I be "saved" again and feel the Holy Spirit? I would do ANYTHING to get my relationship with God back. I would do absolutely anything. Please help! Thanks.
By grace you are saved through faith, and not of yourself. It is the gift of God. That is what the Scripture says. When you were born again, you were justified and became a new creature in Christ. You had a spiritual circumcision, not made with hands, but by the Holy Spirit where he separated your flesh from your spirit. This means that what you have done in your flesh does not affect your spirit because there is a separation between the two. This means that your spirit is still alive in Christ.

What has happened to you, because of your backsliding, you have lost your fellowship with God, but not your relationship. You are still God's child and Jesus is still your Brother. That has never changed. If you read 1 John 1:9, that is the promise of God for all backsliders and those who upset their fellowship with God through sinning.

But God is a good and loving God, who would run after you crying, "Let me forgive you! Let me forgive you!" So stop, turn around and let God forgive and cleanse you. That's what He wants to do for you. Don't be afraid of God. He is not out to "get" you because you have fallen into the things of the flesh. He pursues you to forgive and cleanse you and put you back on the path of righteousness and sanctification. The best prayer you could pray right now is, "Lord, forgive me a sinner."

• Agree
Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

got_questions

Jul 29, 2018
Colorado
✟7,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK. I just edited my previous post to elaborate on the question.

I am curious what people think that I should do, though. I keep saying the "sinner's prayer" but don't feel saved. I don't feel the Holy Spirit at all. That is why I posted in this section - because it has to do with the nature of salvation and how a person can lose it and get it back.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello Friend and welcome to CF.
As for your question, If you have repented of your sins and confessed Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour then you are saved.
Your heart may condemn you, but 1 John 3:20 Says If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

The enemy is always trying to lie steal and cheat you out of your peace and joy.
Romans 8:38,39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

We can have the mind of Christ and the Divine thoughts of God. <staff edit>

<staff edit> you need to start to fellowship with believers and live the christian life. WE can never make a mess of our life so bad that God can not fix it. HE always has the way for us to go so that we can live our life to bring Him praise - honor & glory.

Our ship needs to have four anchors to survive the storms of life: Divine Love, Divine Faith, Grace & the Promises of God. This is what keeps us rooted and grounded and anchored in Him. The storms of life will come and we will remain steadfast and true in Him. Because we build on a solid foundation.

"For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I should also ask: what about people with multiple personalities when one part of them is repentant, and another part is not? Can they be saved?

In people with dissociative disorders, other "personalities" can be essentially reservoirs for anger and negative affect from past traumatic incidents. So if one of these personalities is not repentant, can a person still be saved?

And thank you, Basil. :)
I am inclined to believe that such a person can still be saved. However, I do not believe like many here, that we can be absolutely certain of our salvation, though I think we can be reasonably certain. God will still decide the fate of all of our souls. Too many here forget that Jesus warned in Matthew that many will call him 'Lord', but He will turn to them and say that He never knew them and tell them to depart to you know where. I suggest that you keep praying and I agree that healing services are worth trying, though there is no guarantee they will cure multiple personality disorder or any other medical problem for that matter.

The bottom line for all of us is that we have to trust in God's mercy. Believe me, we all have issues that need God's forgiveness. Very few of us come even close to living as Jesus wants us to.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I am curious what people think that I should do, though. I keep saying the "sinner's prayer" but don't feel saved. I don't feel the Holy Spirit at all. That is why I posted in this section - because it has to do with the nature of salvation and how a person can lose it and get it back.
There is actual and real guilt, and there is psychological guilt. The actual and real guilt between you and God was absolutely and utterly settled when you gave your life to Christ. That guilt has gone completely. God does not hold you guilty of anything right now. But you have guilt feelings because of the life you have led since your conversion. That is psychological guilt and that is what is standing between you and fellowship with God.

Faith does not have to have accompanying feelings. Christian faith is dependence on God's Word regardless of how you feel, and you go on for God on that basis, and not on the way you feel, or even the lack of feelings. You may feel like a cold fish, but you are filled with the Spirit and can go on living the Christian life knowing that you have a relationship with God and that He loves you and is more faithful to you than what you could ever be to Him.
Read the Bible and keep reading it until it fills your heart and spirit. Then do what the Bible says. What you say is very important, so tell God that you are His child, that you can stand before Him without fear or shame and that you want to be the person He wants you to be and to do His will for your life. It will take perseverance, and when God sees that you mean business with Him, you may get a better sense of where you are in Christ - but that is the icing on the cake. The actual cake is what you have already - your relationship with God.

Reactions: joshlete
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟686,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Salvation is not a "feeling". You wont always feel God around you, it is during those times you rest on the promises of God.. and the promises are:

if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

That's it.. God is the same always.. there are times you need to pray for healing and help, but you just have to trust in HIM..

Don't use the promises of God as some kind of excuse, but we all just do our best with the challenges we are given and then rest in HIM..

He will forgive us as much as we need forgiveness to get to where we are going.. :) Just gotta keep plodding on and praying. ..

Upvote 0

joshlete

Jul 19, 2018
vancouver
✟10,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some extra advice, which I haven't seen, is to use something I've been lacking a lot(pray for me), which is prayer. One of the most powerful tools a Christian has. Try to wake up and go to bed praying and seeking God. God's presence is there, it just takes some time and effort to replace the dark things in your life affecting you with God's grace, love, and wisdom.

Next thing I would say, is to read the books of the Gospel, my favorite is the book of John. A relationship takes effort and desire to feel and hold. Thankfully we have the Holy Spirit as our "wingman", in a sense, to guide us. But the Bible is a powerful way for us to spend time with our savior.

But to give you some confidence, the fact that you are feeling this way is assurance that the Holy Spirit is working in you. Just because you can't feel the Holy Spirit, does not mean the Holy Spirit isn't working. A person with no desire for God, would not even care. It is the Holy Spirit that condemns the sin and negativity in your life and heart.

While my situation is far from yours, I too have the similar feelings. Immoral lust has been looming in my heart for a great while. It has been a huge damper on my relationship with my heavenly father. Keep yourself in reminder that no one has a perfect lifestyle. Everyone goes through struggles, even the most Godly people. Use your struggle as an opportunity to grow closer to our Father. You shall be in my prayer, brother.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
David's Psalm of a sinner....

Psalm 51
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners will be converted to You.

John 15 (NASB)
11 These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Where do I stand with God?
<staff edit> You are even now "seated" with Christ in Heaven where you are to reign by faith with Him in this age. If you were sealed by His Spirit and were thus seated with Him - you still are.

We all must take that position of power by faith and, although your case is extreme compared to most of God's children, you must do the same.

We must live by faith in what God's Word says about our position and not by sight.

Take hold of what God says about your position with Christ.

By the way - they say that the surest way to run into a ditch when driving at night is to look at the ditch rather than where you want to be.

Overcoming sin and living in power by faith is no different than avoiding ditches and driving down the middle of your lane.

Let your mind dwell on the things of God and let the things of the past stay in the past.

If you have your mind stayed on what God says about your position you will leave no room for the devil and his Kingdom in your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Water baptism is not a “requirement” for salvation since God does the saving, but is something Christians get to do in order to help them.

I know that I needed everything God could provide to assure me of my conversion, both outwardly and mentally. God wants you to physically feel the experience of what is going on Spiritually.

You need to add to your conversion a definite time place and physical experience, which God has provided for you. We talk about being “Born again”, which comes from Nicodemus encounter with Christ (John 3 :1-21):

Being “born again” is what Jesus told Nicodemus he need to do. This requires some thinking, because Jesus does not address the questions or comments that are verbalized, but directs his comments to the persons next step in their personal spiritual development (what is on their heart spiritually). Jesus is not making some general philosophical statement (like Buddha might make) but is always addressing the audience He is talking to. We have to get into the context.

What did Nicodemus need to do next in his spiritual development?

What does Nicodemus need to be doing next? (study the Old Testament, become one of the followers of Jesus right then and there, Confess, repent, etc.)

The first thing Nicodemus might do at least is what he already knows he should do? Is that not where you would start? So what is that?

Since Nicodemus is still part of the Sanhedrin, he would not have been immersed baptized by John’s baptism. That would have got him thrown out of the Sanhedrin, but being smart Nicodemus would know he should be baptized.

John’s baptism would have been a hot topic among the religious scholars, yet the answer was obvious and they all know it (remember Jesus using it against them and causing them to quit asking him questions?)

Jesus is not going to hand out the answer to Nicodemus, since Nicodemus knows the answer, but he will make Nicodemus think about it hard, since it would already be on his mind.

Christian water baptism as seen in scripture seems to fit the “born again” scenario Christ was talking about since it: Is always adult (there are only two examples that “might include infants” but nothing definite, all the others are adult believers) water immersion to be a physical outward representation of what had or is happening spiritually in the person being baptized. It is mainly to help the individual being baptized to better grasp what is going on, but it can “witness” to others observing the baptism. It has the elements of going down under the water (burying the old man), placing your dependence in another; the person baptizing you (surrendering your life to God), being washed (having your sins washed away), rising out of the water (rising from the old dead body), and stepping forth out onto the earth (a new person). The person is walking out into the hugs of his new family. It is also a sign of your humility, since it is a humbling act anyone can simple allow someone to do it to them (so not a work) and since humility has been shown in the accept of charity (God’s free gift of undeserving forgiveness) it should just support and add to the memory of that acceptance. To refuse Christian water baptism when it is readily available might mean you are not ready to handle other responsibility like having the indwelling Holy Spirit and you are hurting yourself.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This thread has been moved from Soteriology to Recovery Related Spiritual Advice and has been reopened.

This thread was cleaned and some posts were removed or edited to comply with the guidelines of the recovery forum. If you wish to participate in this forum to provide support, please read through the Statement of Purpose and the Recovery Guidelines.

Please note, the Recovery forums do not allow any discussion of the nature of Spiritual Warfare at all.

Recovery Related Spiritual Advice

This sub-forum is for members who are struggling with a recovery issue and dealing with spiritual struggles because of or related to it. This is a moderated forum, where all posts must be approved before becoming live. There is no debate allowed in this forum, and no spiritual warfare posts or links allowed. OPs that are not asking for advice will be removed. Posts that are asking if God still loves me or if this is a sin need to be posted in Ask a Chaplain.

Christians and non-Christians may start threads asking questions of advice, only 1 OP per thread may ask questions but only Orthodox Christians may reply. If another member wishes to ask questions relating to or on a different topic about themselves and spiritual & recovery issues, must start a new OP.

Please review the recovery guidelines and site wide rules before posting in this forum.

Posts that deal with issues of sexuality and wanting to overcome sexual issues will be moved to the Struggles with Sexuality Forum. Posts that are not seeking advice, will be removed or moved if possible to a more appropriate area.

This forum provides support as well as encouragement from others going through similar issues or who have possibly been successful at making those changes.

OFF Topic Posts/Threads

Preaching or theological teaching or debating as this part of the forum is not for theological discussions, but for support and spiritual encouragement.

No self-promotion of books, recordings, YouTube videos or websites/blogs to gain advertising.

Posts that are not supportive of the Original Poster’s question of advice will be removed.

Discouragement of medications and medical treatment will be removed and staff actions will be issued due to the severity of risk related to diagnosing someone and giving treatment advice from professionals or non-professionals online.

Any posts dealing with spiritual warfare will be removed. Insinuating that members are possessed or that their health issues are caused by demons or due to sin is not permitted. This includes the devil is the whole problem. Linking to sites offline that address spiritual warfare are not permitted as well. Posts that balance out the the fact that both mental/physical health issues and spiritual issues may be at play rather than only spiritual issues are to blame, may be allowed.
Recovery Guidelines

The site wide rules give the outline for what is and what is not acceptable in the Recovery, Mental Health, and Physical Health forums. These Forum-specific guidelines clarify those rules specifically for this area of the site.

Recovery is a place for member peer support and encouragement, not as a substitute for professional care, nor a place for ethical/moral discussions. Only those who are seeking help may start threads in the recovery forums. Informational posts may be submitted to the recovery library for review to be posted.

Recovery Staff feel very strongly that members need to seek out real life licensed professional services and local pastoral care in addition to asking for support and advice here.
These things are considered off topic and will not be allowed in the Recovery forums:
Promoting yourself as an expert in your posts, or in your user title

Diagnosing anyone's symptoms

Offering treatment or any kind to other members

Prescribing/promoting medications of any kind, including over the counter or herbal remedies

Discouraging someone from taking prescribed medications, using or seeking professional services, using hotlines or crisis lines.

Ethical and moral discussions are dealt with in other areas of the forum. These discussions will be removed from recovery or moved to another area if possible.

Any posts dealing with, instructing or suggesting the need for spiritual warfare will be removed. Insinuating that members are possessed or that their Mental, Emotional or Physical health issues are caused by demonic or spiritual issues are not permitted. This includes the "devil is the whole problem" or "You need to get right with God" or "You do not have enough faith" type of statements would be examples of these types of posts. Linking to sites offline that address spiritual warfare are not permitted as well.

Asking or requesting that members engage in research topics or volunteer as research subjects, or links directing web-traffic to another site for this purpose is not appropriate and will be removed. Requests to post a research topic in other areas of CF need to be brought up in Support for permission and if granted, the most appropriate forum for posting it.

No polls or surveys are allowed.

Endorsement of certain topics - This is not allowed and staff will remove any posts which endorse or encourage any of the following behaviors/topics.
  • abortion
  • alcohol and/or drug use/abuse
  • bisexuality
  • extramarital or premarital sexual activity
  • gambling
  • harmful and/or hurtful behaviors of any nature
  • homosexuality
  • polygamy
  • transsexuality
  • suicide
  • violence
Recovery is a place people come to get support and encouragement in the process of stopping these behaviors/lifestyles and using the Christian faith to help cope with problems. Other areas of CF can be used for discussions of many of these behaviors/topics. Included in this rule is posting triggers to harmful behaviors.

Over the Counter & Alternative Remedies
  • Over the counter remedies can interact with prescription medications. Because of that, do not recommend what someone should take, including alternative medications. Limit discussion to your experience with a medication.
  • Cannabis (Marijuana) is an illegal drug in many states though some states have made it legal for medical purposes only. If you live in an area where it is legal for minor use or medical use, you may find more information about the drug from your physician. Discussion to promote it as an alternative drug not permitted in the recovery or main areas of CF, as this should be addressed with your physician.
Harmful or hurtful posts:

The Recovery Team Staff will remove posts or threads that we think could be harmful in any way to any member or group of members, Even if the post or thread might not be intentionally harmful. Members will receive notification if it is the only post removed or edited. If there are a group of posts being removed or edited, the thread will have a post that advises of this and states why they were removed/edited (not who specifically).

The Recovery Team Staff will edit or remove posts that we see as being a trigger for someone who is trying to stop doing some behavior. For example, a post that "argues a member should do x, y or z anyways because it doesn't matter" or "I'm just going to drink myself sick."

Because of the risk of triggering suicidal thoughts in others, we remove threats and/or endorsements of suicide. This includes posting that another member others know have killed him/herself. If you are having thoughts about suicide but have no immediate plans or intentions your posts may be able to show. Make sure to **Trigger Warn** the title and the top of your post. If you are having serious issues, log off now and contact 800-SUICIDE in the US, www.imalive.org online in the US, or www.befrienders.org for international crisis centers (found in the upper right hand corner of their site).

We want to allow you to have support from others but we must be careful not to have posts that might trigger others to follow suit. Staff will err on the side of safety and caution for other members in these situations. Please utilize local professional services such as calling 911, going to the emergency room or to a local medical clinic.

When Staff remove these suicidal posts or self harm posts of any threat or description from view we are encouraging the members to seek professional services in their local area and provide phone numbers to local crisis lines if available. Christian Forums is NOT a crisis center, nor are the Recovery Team members trained in Suicidal Intervention. Members continuing to post outside these guidelines may be banned temporarily to seek help offline.

Please note, the Eating Disorders forum may not have numbers in any format in posts, and they will be edited out without notice.

Posts that are graphic in the description of a type of event (such as in trauma that was quite abusive, details of substance use or graphic descriptions of surgery) will be edited or removed to protect others. Our site is open to those who are as young as 16, and may be read by individuals who are younger than 16.

Upvote 0