Where do I fit in with liberal/conservative?

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Both speaking politically and Christianity, where could I fit in the categories of liberal and conservative Christianity? I can respect conservatives more than liberals or the left, but there are certain parts to either side that I disagree on. It seems like if you identify as politically or religious "conservative", dogma says that only one side and all of the morality beliefs encompassed are no-more-or-less and either this or nothing. I don't think conservative is always the way I described, but it's much more common for them to believe in the more "Traditional" set of scripture and beliefs and pursue that exclusively no matter what.

But I also think the left is very crazy and destructive. They have their own "dogma" like political correctness and today I see more on the left outing conservatives away for their belief than the other way around. I just wish people would be more left alone than they are in the world now and I think there should be a better balance of individual liberty and avoid pulling the world too much into one extreme or the other.

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You sound very libertarian, actually. But, where you fall on any given spectrum really isn't particularly important. I tend to fall Libertarian, but I vote dominantly for Republicans, because the Republicans in my area nominate better people.

Don't get too hung up on terms; they can really destroy legitimate discussions before they even begin.

God be with us & our politicians!

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both speaking politically and Christianity, where could I fit in the categories of liberal and conservative Christianity? I can respect conservatives more than liberals or the left, but there are certain parts to either side that I disagree on. It seems like if you identify as politically or religious "conservative", dogma says that only one side and all of the morality beliefs encompassed are no-more-or-less and either this or nothing. I don't think conservative is always the way I described, but it's much more common for them to believe in the more "Traditional" set of scripture and beliefs and pursue that exclusively no matter what.

But I also think the left is very crazy and destructive. They have their own "dogma" like political correctness and today I see more on the left outing conservatives away for their belief than the other way around. I just wish people would be more left alone than they are in the world now and I think there should be a better balance of individual liberty and avoid pulling the world too much into one extreme or the other.

If I might offer a thought, just pursue righteousness in all you do. If people consider it left or right, matters not. Just what is righteousness, do that.

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Here you go:
Religious typology quiz | Pew Research Center

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I really don't like those labels when applied to the faith. I especially don't like it when one assumes political liberal and theological liberal are related. Politically I finally figured out I no longer fit in either liberal OR conservative molds. I am fully capable of being on one side AND the other side depending on what the political issues are. I just didn't fit in either camp. So I am now neither Democrat nor Republican. I couldn't possibly do the Democrat thing any more and I'm less than enthralled by the Republicans.

As for religion, I find I prefer smells and bells, Latin chants, creeds, and authoritative catechisms. I could be a traditionalist except for the charismatic leanings I have. I have been called a fundamentalist by some and a modernist by others, but neither is true. I just think one should say the creeds straight up, read the Bible paying attention to the literary form, pray like my life and the lives of others depended on it, and help the poor as best I'm able. Call that what you want, but I don't like either the liberal or the conservative label. I don't wanna fit in that way.

Skip the labels. Be a complete person and not a caricature.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How about this:

The way to approach this could be to think that conservatives generally respect the BASIS for belief X, but not so inflexibly the belief itself. For example, hardly any religious conservative thinks today that women should wear hats in church--but that was once common. Or that the worship service is so sacred that the priest/minister should speak only to the altar boys and in soft tones during the important parts. But when it comes to the doctrines that are considered essential, the Bible is still authoritative (or in the Catholic case, the Bible and Tradition).

On what would the religious liberal base his decisions? It usually is reason...reason that may override the historic beliefs of Christianity. That is liberal--to be guided by reason, social norms, practicality, etc. It does not mean that the Bible is shelved, but interpreting the Bible is made dependent upon what seems fair or sensible.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a deceptive quiz/ purpose is wrong - it is misleading.
Don't count on it for anything.
I'm using my results to decide how much offering to give
and if I will stay with my wife. And if I should keep my Bibles in 2019.

Upvote 0

JamieRedheadUK

Anglican
Feb 3, 2016
Manchester, United Kingdom
✟10,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There must be at least one hindered different political issues going on today and it is possible to have one hindered different positions on them on a sliding scale from die hard conservative all the way to absolute liberal. Given that it is very hard generally to label myself as one or the other.

Add in thelogy and that becomes even more complex. I am a smells and bells traditionalist but with liberal tendencies in certain areas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I usually fall into Conservative circles, but I do not identify with the term "Conservative". Conservatisim in the US, as it often manifests itself, is sort of a consensus dogma. People want to be considered a "true conservative", while that definition is typically whatever most "true conservatives" of a given era think it means.

It may be only a subtle difference at times, but I use the word "Traditionalist" for myself both with respect to religion and politics (politically I call myself a "Pragmatic Traditionalist"). For example, I believe in a "free market", but I believe that the importance of treating people as persons and protecting the institution of the family outweighs devotion to a set of economic ideals. If something is occurring which is harming people and families, I lose interest in caring about being ideologically consistent and would rather take steps to protect the integrity of a family-based society, as I consider that to be a higher good than I consider non-intervention to be (even though I do, generally speaking, believe in the government not picking winners and losers).

I think that this difference can be demonstrated by comparing Ben Shapiro with Tucker Carlson. Given the two "camps", I would be in the Tucker Carlson camp.

Reactions: Unboxed
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do indeed admit that saying something like "harms people" is far too vague, and I don't mean to imply that we should ensure that no one is ever harmed in any way. That is both manifestly silly as well as impossible, and people are "harmed" all the time in real life. So please don't read too much into that, as I was being a little careless with my wording.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I usually fall into Conservative circles, but I do not identify with the term "Conservative". Conservatisim in the US, as it often manifests itself, is sort of a consensus dogma. People want to be considered a "true conservative", while that definition is typically whatever most "true conservatives" of a given era think it means.

It may be only a subtle difference at times, but I use the word "Traditionalist" for myself both with respect to religion and politics (politically I call myself a "Pragmatic Traditionalist"). For example, I believe in a "free market", but I believe that the importance of treating people as persons and protecting the institution of the family outweighs devotion to a set of economic ideals. If something is occurring which is harming people and families, I lose interest in caring about being ideologically consistent and would rather take steps to protect the integrity of a family-based society, as I consider that to be a higher good than I consider non-intervention to be (even though I do, generally speaking, believe in the government not picking winners and losers).

I think that this difference can be demonstrated by comparing Ben Shapiro with Tucker Carlson. Given the two "camps", I would be in the Tucker Carlson camp.
I can appreciate that POV and that message, but as far as "Conservative Christianity" (this forum) is concerned, it is only the commitment to the mainstream of Christian belief and practice that should concern us, not political theory.

Upvote 0