Where did the Reformers get the Authority to Change the Bible?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A simple question, perhaps, but let's take a closer look. First of all, I am not going to dispute the excesses and injustices that SOME Roman Catholics visited upon other people. This is NOT a forum on the Inquisition or the Crusades. Here, we are only speaking of Authority.

With that in mind, Luther was a Roman Catholic, Augustinian priest-monk. His ordination gave him the authority to do certain things. Celebrate the Mass, hear confessions, anoint the sick, and so on. He was also held a position as Theology Professor at the Wittenberg University 'Leucorea'. He gave lectures over the Psalms (1514-15), Letter to the Romans (1515-16), Letter to the Galatians (1516-17), and Letter to the Hebrews (1517-18). Here he obviously had the authority to lecture, grade papers, and all of the other things that most professors do.

He was also a composer, and he did several other things. However, nowhere in my research have I seen him receiving the authority to change the Bible--WHICH HE DID! What I want to know is, where did he get such authority.

Did he get it from God? No, because when the Bible was being codified in the third and fourth centuries, the Early Christian Fathers who were doing the job would have heard from God not to put this or that book in the Bible, just as they heard from God about The Shepherd of Hermes. These were holy men, true believers in Jesus Christ, following Him alone, trusting in the Holy Spirit to guide them to the Truth. If God had not wanted the Apocrypha in the Bible in the 15th century, do you think He would have put it in at the beginning?

Don't try to say that not all the Jews accepted those books, because, as we have already seen, the Early Church Fathers, guided by the Holy Spirit had accepted them. And if we can't accept the authority for their decisions, then we must begin by throwing the whole Bible out the window and start again. I don't want to do that, and I don't believe any other Christian does.

Did Luther get his authority to change the Bible from the Pope? NO! Any other authority within the Church? Nope, not that either.

So, where did he (or any other Reformer) have the authority to change the Bible?

Please discuss.

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As an addition, when someone asked Luther why he made a change, he said, "Because Dr. Luther would have it so."

That sounded awfully proud, didn't it?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
With that in mind, Luther was a Roman Catholic, Augustinian priest-monk. His ordination gave him the authority to do certain things. Celebrate the Mass, hear confessions, anoint the sick, and so on. He was also held a position as Theology Professor at the Wittenberg University 'Leucorea'. He gave lectures over the Psalms (1514-15), Letter to the Romans (1515-16), Letter to the Galatians (1516-17), and Letter to the Hebrews (1517-18). Here he obviously had the authority to lecture, grade papers, and all of the other things that most professors do.

He was also a composer, and he did several other things. However, nowhere in my research have I seen him receiving the authority to change the Bible--WHICH HE DID! What I want to know is, where did he get such authority. .

In short, that is a false charge. It is a popular one with opponents of Luther or of the Reformation, but it simply isn't so. Being that he was the foremost Bible scholar in Germany, any skeptic today ought at least to realize that there are a lot of nuances and intricacies involved and it's not as easy as saying 'He changed the Bible.'

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A simple question, perhaps, but let's take a closer look. First of all, I am not going to dispute the excesses and injustices that SOME Roman Catholics visited upon other people. This is NOT a forum on the Inquisition or the Crusades. Here, we are only speaking of Authority.

He was also a composer, and he did several other things. However, nowhere in my research have I seen him receiving the authority to change the Bible--WHICH HE DID! What I want to know is, where did he get such authority.

Did he get it from God? No, because when the Bible was being codified in the third and fourth centuries, the Early Christian Fathers who were doing the job would have heard from God not to put this or that book in the Bible, just as they heard from God about The Shepherd of Hermes. These were holy men, true believers in Jesus Christ, following Him alone, trusting in the Holy Spirit to guide them to the Truth. If God had not wanted the Apocrypha in the Bible in the 15th century, do you think He would have put it in at the beginning?

Don't try to say that not all the Jews accepted those books, because, as we have already seen, the Early Church Fathers, guided by the Holy Spirit had accepted them. And if we can't accept the authority for their decisions, then we must begin by throwing the whole Bible out the window and start again. I don't want to do that, and I don't believe any other Christian does.

Did Luther get his authority to change the Bible from the Pope? NO! Any other authority within the Church? Nope, not that either.

So, where did he (or any other Reformer) have the authority to change the Bible?

Please discuss.

By and large, this seems like a Strawman fallacy. However, even if Luther or anyone did attempt to change the word of God (I am not saying that evidence has been shown that he did), they do so at their own peril.

Likewise, the Magisterium also has no authority to change the word of God. Nor does the Magisterium define what the word of God is. God defines what the word of God is and no one else.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As an addition, when someone asked Luther why he made a change, he said, "Because Dr. Luther would have it so."

That sounded awfully proud, didn't it?

Not that Martin Luther got everything right, but I don't think he was even close to as prideful as various Popes.

Something I think any Catholic who chooses to vilify Luther needs to be honest about.

Upvote 0

Seejer

Jul 20, 2017
Oslo
✟9,432.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These were holy men, true believers in Jesus Christ, following Him alone, trusting in the Holy Spirit to guide them to the Truth.

So you don't believe this august body of men had personal ambitions mixed up with their deliberations for a period of time spanning centuries?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In short, that is a false charge. It is a popular one with opponents of Luther or of the Reformation, but it simply isn't so. Being that he was the foremost Bible scholar in Germany, any skeptic today ought at least to realize that there are a lot of nuances and intricacies involved and it's not as easy as saying 'He changed the Bible.'

But this thread is not about the changes themselves. This is about the AUTHORITY to make those changes. To begin by disputing or defending the changes is not what this thread is about, and the actual changes themselves are not germane. Let's not get sidetracked.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not that Martin Luther got everything right, but I don't think he was even close to as prideful as various Popes.

You recently accused me of not reading the OP on another thread. Please READ the OP. I am pointing out that Luther (and others) made changes to the Bible on their own authority, and not by the Authority of God.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Something I think any Catholic who chooses to vilify Luther needs to be honest about.

Needs to be honest about...what? I am not vilifying Luther. I am asking where he got the AUTHORITY.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But this thread is not about the changes themselves. This is about the AUTHORITY to make those changes. To begin by disputing or defending the changes is not what this thread is about, and the actual changes themselves are not germane. Let's not get sidetracked.
All right. Then let's not kick off the thread by denouncing Luther for things he didn't do--or by focusing on him in any way. Instead, let's ask about who has the authority to determine doctrine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Please discuss.

Without an Ecumenical Council to define the Canon once and for all leaves the issue of the Canon open. Trent settled that from Rome's POV; but that is only relevant to Rome. In Luther's time there had not yet been church-wide synod to decide once and for all the contents of the Canon. Luther, fundamentally, did little more than participate in a 1600 year old conversation on the matter.

It's also worth noting that Luther's position and opinion is not regarded as "official" by Lutherans; for Lutherans the question of the Canon is still, technically, open. There is a certain irony in this, as virtually every other Protestant group accepted Luther's opinion on the Deuterocanonicals (generally)--though not his opinion on the Antilegomena--the churches which are called "Lutheran" have never established an official position one way or the other.

But without an Ecumenical Council (and yes, Rome regards Trent as such, but only Rome receives it) there simply isn't any final ecclesiastical authority to reach a final and full conclusion to the matter. Neither Luther nor the Pope have this authority; only by the full consent of the Church in Council can something this important be determined.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Please discuss.
Truth is the source of authority.
Churchianity believes authority is the source of truth.
I'm like a native American watching whitemen argue over who owns God's earth.
smh

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All right. Then let's not kick off the thread by denouncing Luther for things he didn't do--or by focusing on him in any way. Instead, let's ask about who has the authority to determine doctrine.
mhm.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Please discuss.

Why do you suppose they lack the authority? After all, their choices were accepted. If their choices were accepted, its another thing to question or accept their authority. What human has the right to determine such authority?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Needs to be honest about...what? I am not vilifying Luther. I am asking where he got the AUTHORITY.

I was responding to your second post....

Never mind.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You recently accused me of not reading the OP on another thread. Please READ the OP. I am pointing out that Luther (and others) made changes to the Bible on their own authority, and not by the Authority of God.

I did read it.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
By and large, this seems like a Strawman fallacy. However, even if Luther or anyone did attempt to change the word of God (I am not saying that evidence has been shown that he did), they do so at their own peril.

Likewise, the Magisterium also has no authority to change the word of God. Nor does the Magisterium define what the word of God is. God defines what the word of God is and no one else.

Both good points! But what I am asking is who gave Luther the authority to make the changes, and not what changes he made, or any modern person making changes.

Also, the Magersterium DOES have the authority, but they have never done so. The Pope is still the successor of Peter, and he carried God's blessing that He gave to Peter “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matt 16:18 KJV) So when the Pope and the bishops of the Church claim the Authority of God, they can do so. So can the Orthodox bishops of the world.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

And God would change His mind from the 4th century to the 15th century?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Both good points! But what I am asking is who gave Luther the authority to make the changes, and not what changes he made, or any modern person making changes.

Also, the Magersterium DOES have the authority, but they have never done so. The Pope is still the successor of Peter, and he carried God's blessing that He gave to Peter “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matt 16:18 KJV) So when the Pope and the bishops of the Church claim the Authority of God, they can do so. So can the Orthodox bishops of the world.

Well, the authority of the Pope and the Magisterium is another topic altogether. I would think that the entirely corrupt history of such would cause at least some doubts and honest questions in this regard.

It does for me anyway.

So, I have to agree that the Magisterium does not have the power to change God's word, which is also why He has never let that happen.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So you don't believe this august body of men had personal ambitions mixed up with their deliberations for a period of time spanning centuries?

Prove that they did, give me book, chapter and verse of the Bible, (You're Sola Scriptura, aren't you?) and show me biographical information to prove that proposition.

• Prayers
Upvote 0