Where did the "plenty of fish" analogy come from anyway?

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We've all heard it, many of us much too frequently. "There's plenty of fish in the sea."

It's true, on a very literal level. I mean, have you ever been to an aquarium? But honestly, who decided to use that statement as a metaphor for dating, and what was wrong with them?

First of all, nobody goes out trying to catch one ideal fish. Yes, there are some fish that you'll throw back right away (too small, not for eating, whatever), but you'll take anything that meets a rather low minimum standard. And you get to take more than one home with you!

And furthermore, the number of metaphorical fish in my metaphorical sea is not "plenty." I am beginning to wonder if it is in fact a real integer greater than zero. (Well, technically, complex would be okay as well, as long as it contains a real component...)

The saying also suggests that the person fishing has the ability to catch fish. But what if I left my tackle at home? What if the 6+3i fish living off my metaphorical shore don't like what I'm using as bait?

And finally, I'm not dating a fish. (Sorry Creature from the Black Lagoon.)

end rant;

For those who are wondering...I did some research, and was unable to find any reliable source on the origin of the phrase. But if you happen to know of one...

Reactions: mina

TriptychR

Investigative Retorter
Jul 3, 2004
Western New York
✟10,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's my theory:

A fisherman was complaining about a recent breakup when his roommate patted him on the shoulder and said, "Don't worry, pal. There are plenty of fish in the sea."

The fisherman gave a small sniffle and looked up. "You mean there are plenty more great women out there?" he said.

The roommate gave a small chuckle. "No. I mean that there are literally plenty of fish in the see. No go get them; we need to pay rent!"

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Here's what I found on Answers.com...

not the only fish in the sea
Also, lots or plenty of good fish in the sea; not the only pebble on the beach. Plenty of other suitable persons, especially for a romantic relationship. For example, When Bob walked out on Sally, all we could tell her was that he was not the only fish in the sea, or Bill knew she wasn't the only pebble on the beach but he was determined to win her over. Both fish and pebble here refer to something available in large quantities. The expressions using fish have been used to comfort jilted lovers since the early 1500s. The variant using pebble was first recorded in a poem of 1896 by Henry Braistead: "If you want to win her hand Let the maiden understand That she's not the only pebble on the beach."

Let's go with pebbles...b/c if the boy is dumb and hurts you, you'll have a ready supply of rocks to throw at him. ;)

Upvote 0

Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, interesting argument. In your example though, if there are 6.7 fish in your metaphorical sea, at some point 26.5 degrees away from you, I'd have to ask, where are you measuring from? In other words, maybe you're sea exists, and your fish are out there, but you're not looking in the right place?

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Here's what I found on Answers.com...

not the only fish in the sea
Also, lots or plenty of good fish in the sea; not the only pebble on the beach. Plenty of other suitable persons, especially for a romantic relationship. For example, When Bob walked out on Sally, all we could tell her was that he was not the only fish in the sea, or Bill knew she wasn't the only pebble on the beach but he was determined to win her over. Both fish and pebble here refer to something available in large quantities. The expressions using fish have been used to comfort jilted lovers since the early 1500s. The variant using pebble was first recorded in a poem of 1896 by Henry Braistead: "If you want to win her hand Let the maiden understand That she's not the only pebble on the beach."

Let's go with pebbles...b/c if the boy is dumb and hurts you, you'll have a ready supply of rocks to throw at him. ;)

Wow. That's amazing. 500 years of cliche! And Shakespeare didn't even come up with it. (The pebble one is more useful, though. :D)

Here's my theory:

A fisherman was complaining about a recent breakup when his roommate patted him on the shoulder and said, "Don't worry, pal. There are plenty of fish in the sea."

The fisherman gave a small sniffle and looked up. "You mean there are plenty more great women out there?" he said.

The roommate gave a small chuckle. "No. I mean that there are literally plenty of fish in the see. No go get them; we need to pay rent!"

Haha. The sad part is that it probably makes more sense than the real explanation.

I wasgoing to respond, but your flamingo hat creeps me out, so now the secret will die with me.

:eek: How can anyone resist the charm of a flamingo captured in hat form?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of fish I should be dating as a Christian. I mean, I don't want to date outside my school, right? Would it be a sin? what if those fish don't swim the same way I do? what if they don't raise their guppies the same way as I was raised?
I've always found myself attracted to rounder fish with colorful scales and really big... fins. Does that make me shallow?

Upvote 0

soccerdad66

Veteran
Apr 4, 2007
Washington
✟13,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I know.... Actually I have him picked out, he just isn't cooperating. He isn't lazy, he is a great dad and is totally my dream man.
You just haven't hooked him yet, huh? Maybe try a different lure. Ok, enough bad puns.

Could be he's not ready. Been there, done that, either way, I'm sure it's in Gods plan. It would be nice to sneak a peek sometimes.

Upvote 0

Laurie919

Apr 4, 2007
Louisiana
✟13,685.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You just haven't hooked him yet, huh? Maybe try a different lure. Ok, enough bad puns.

Could be he's not ready. Been there, done that, either way, I'm sure it's in Gods plan. It would be nice to sneak a peek sometimes.
He is mine I tell ya.... Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine.... I am going to stalk him until he gives in.

Ok maybe not..... Hey but it might work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, interesting argument. In your example though, if there are 6.7 fish in your metaphorical sea, at some point 26.5 degrees away from you, I'd have to ask, where are you measuring from? In other words, maybe you're sea exists, and your fish are out there, but you're not looking in the right place?

...:o

If I am the origin, then the fish will move relative to me, and I'll never reach them. :cry:

Maybe I should try fishing the way Homer did in the Simpsons movie. (I'm not sure what that would translate to in a non-metaphorical sense, though. Electrocuting all my potential mates probably isn't wise.)

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of fish I should be dating as a Christian. I mean, I don't want to date outside my school, right? Would it be a sin? what if those fish don't swim the same way I do? what if they don't raise their guppies the same way as I was raised?
I've always found myself attracted to rounder fish with colorful scales and really big... fins. Does that make me shallow?

Well, if you're a fish, being shallow is perfectly acceptable. There are fish that live in the shallows, and then there are deep sea fish, and then there are those ones miles below the surface with the cool glowy lights. (Are those ones the fish equivalent of ravers?)

Upvote 0

Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
...:o

If I am the origin, then the fish will move relative to me, and I'll never reach them. :cry:

Maybe I should try fishing the way Homer did in the Simpsons movie. (I'm not sure what that would translate to in a non-metaphorical sense, though. Electrocuting all my potential mates probably isn't wise.)
lol, yeah you might want to avoid that one. Don't give up hope, but do keep things in perspective. Dating isn't that important, plus school starts in two weeks ;)

Upvote 0