Where did the light come from?

Originally posted by strathyboy
Genesis 1:3 says that God created light. But not until verse 14 does God create the sun, the moon, or the stars.
I realize that this has probably been discussed in here before, but I couldn't find a thread specifically about it. Any thoughts?

It is a common ancient and pre-scientific belief that the Sun, etc. are signs of light and not the cause of all of it.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In Biblical times, it was also well known that the moon also gave off light.

Yes, waves need sources. Anything hot enough will work fine as a source; that's why the universe would have been well-lit long before the stars formed.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Lacmeh
It is ancient knowledge, that the sun and stars are the cause of the light humans can see.
Light is nothing other than a form of radiation. We all know, that a wave needs a source. No wave can originate from nothing.

The wave nature of light was not known then.

And don't confuse the ancient egghead with ancient great unwashed.

Many people really did belive that the light of day was not the result of the Sun.  This seems so absurd today since people are taught in schools, etc. differently; not to mention the effects of the scientific mind set.  What we take as fairly obvious now was not nearly as obvious way back when.

Of this belief we find survivals among the early fathers, and especially in St. Ambrose. In his work on creation he tells us:

"We must remember that the light of day is one thing and the light of the sun, moon, and stars another—the sun by his rays appearing to add lustre to the daylight. For before sunrise the day dawns, but is not in full refulgence, for the sun adds still further to its splendour." This idea became one of the "treasures of sacred knowledge committed to the Church," and was faithfully received by the Middle Ages. The medieval mysteries and miracle plays give curious evidences of this: In a performance of the creation, when God separates light from darkness, the stage direction is, "Now a painted cloth is to be exhibited, one half black and the other half white." It was also given more permanent form. In the mosaics of San Marco at Venice, in the frescoes of the Baptistery at Florence and of the Church of St. Francis at Assisi, and in the altar carving at Salerno, we find a striking realization of it—the Creator placing in the heavens two disks or living figures of equal size, each suitably coloured or inscribed to show that one represents light and the other darkness. This conception was without doubt that of the person or persons who compiled from the Chaldean and other earlier statements the accounts of the creation in the first of our sacred books.[8]

http://human-nature.com/reason/white/chap1.html

I am sure someone more versed in history of science in ancient times can find references for you.

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
I am going a bit further back than the middle ages. Back then, people didn´t know about the dual nature of light particles. But nowadays we know about it. Therefore I find it quite absurd, that peopel still think, that the light on earth doesn´t come from the sun (well not all the light on earth comes from the sun. Only about 99.99999999999999%)

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
The light could have come from Phosphorus. If you have ever walked on a beach on a dark night where the water contains phosphorus, then you would see the foam on the waves glow, you can also see sparks shoot out from under your feet as the water splashes.

The name Phosphorus means light bearing.

Phosphorus is an element used to make fluorescent lights.
fluorescent lights are used as a source of artificial light for growing plants.
fluorescent lights have been designed to promote photosynthesis to occur.

The most effecient wavelenghts of light needed for photosynthesis are at the ends of the blue and red visible spectrums, these spectrums appear very dim to the human eye.

Another important property of phosphorus is that phosphates come from it, without phosphates there would be no DNA, or RNA replicators.

I'm not saying it was phosphorus, because I realy have no idea, but I think there's a very strong possibilty that it could have been the first source of light.

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
It was a long time ago, that I had lessons in organic chemistry and biochemics and microbiology. But the one thing I remember, is, that not Phosphor but Nitrogen is the integral part of the DNA structure(well Nitrogroup more appropiately).
Not every Phosphor begins the chemical reaction, called oxygenation and emitting a glowing light. Only white phosphor does. (There are three types of Phosphor, all have different crystal structure)
Further, that would mean, that the heavier elements were formed before the lightier elements. Therefore no lighter elements than Phosphor could exist. Through fusion the lighter elements form the heavier ones. on the other hand, there is no way, that hydrogen, helium get formed through radioactive detoriotion. All the detoriation endpoints have heavier elements as hydrogen and helium.
Besides the issue, that there is no amount of phosphor in this entire planet to light the planet for 24 hours, the amount of heat, that is needed for the planet to survive can come only out of a huge fusion reactor.

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
Klamath Falls, OR United States
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by seebs
In Biblical times, it was also well known that the moon also gave off light.

Seebs, you know well that the moon shines because Sol illuminates it. It doesn't give off any of its own light. Are you trying to say that the Bible claims that the moon is a source of light?

As for the question of light, it could've surrounded the newly-formed earth, like an aura (ever seen "Touched by an Angel" and how all of a sudden, their faces and light up?) around it. Then God "separated" light from darkness and day from night. OK, i have to go suddenly.

God bless you, friends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,015.00
Faith
Catholic
Actually, the light you see in the ocean at night is not from phosphorous, it is from tiny marine organisms called Dinoflagellates. This phenomenon is called Phosphorescence, but is not really due to the chemical.

Also, while phophate (PO4) is an intereral part of DNA, phosphates can also be very dangerous. Nerve gas and related phosgene gases ablity to kill so quickly is due to the phosphorous.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even if you don't want to agree with the spiritual side of the "light" which I do by the way...

The sun isn't the only light around... according to your scientists and all... the earth was full of burning lava and all in it's creation. I think lava has some light in it. Also stars have to form from the gases into them correct? Does the Nitrogen and Helium not also produce light before gathered into a central place of emission (sun)? The Bible only says God created "signs" of the day and night... never says God created "emitters" of light, but rather "signs" so God never said that the moon gave off light. (On a side note... don't you find it odd that the moon's orbit is exact enough that the same side of the moon faces us all the time?? That's another highly unprobable event like evolution I mean because of all the planets in all the galaxies... ours is the only one that supports life and has a moon that orbits perfectly... kinda odd just a thought)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
This has been interesting so far, but some of the answers seem a little unconvincing.
What light could God create that would differentiate between day and night, that isn't the sun, moon, or stars? And why does this light go away for part of every 24 hours (or longer, depending on what you believe), in order to result in evening and morning for the next 3 days?

Upvote 0

Julie

ONLY JESUS CHRIST SAVES
Apr 22, 2002
Visit site
✟9,327.00
Faith
Christian
Genesis 1:3
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

1 John 1:5
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Revelation 21:23
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Revelation 22:5
And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
Nice quotes, Julie, those quotes relate to the thread exactly how?

If God created only signs of light, not emitters of light and humans create emitters of light, what does that make humans?

Why is it so hard to accept, that the light on earth comes mostly from the sun (the light reaching the earth from the stars is pretty negleglible). After all it is observable, that the light radiates out from the sun. As well as the other bunch of electromagnetic waves.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
why is it so hard to believe that the earth didn't initially turn around the sun? It has been theorized by some scientist guy (don't know who saw on TV) that the earth could have initially flown through outer space on it's own... light could have been given off from different elements here and there on the first day (before anything else was created on earth) Before Genesis starts talkin about God created this and that... it says that God created the heavens and the earth and that the earth was void and without form (Genesis 1:1-2). If the earth is by itself flying through space before it meets up with the sun to turn around in it's orbit... then the first couple of days there needs not be any sun or moon or stars or anything. Light could be here and there to give light to the earth's surface, but until the earth reaches (or God creates the sun in it's way) then there technically is no sun for the earth to orbit around, or moon orbiting around earth, BUT there is still light, just no signs yet...

Upvote 0