Where did the idea of church buildings come from?

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Reading the Acts of the Apostles and the epistles I see the saints gathering in houses instead of big buildings.
Acts 2:46, Acts 8:3, Acts 20:20, Romans 16:5, 1 Corinthians 16:19, Colossians 3:15, Philemon 1:2

Although there may be no major issue with having church buildings to meet in, I do think that at times it has become more about the building then about the people who gather there. I also think that we need to remember that God is not confined to a building.

The church building is just a meeting place, God doesn't love there.

"He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn’t live in man-made temples, and human hands can’t serve his needs—for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything, and he satisfies every need. From one man he created all the nations throughout the whole earth. He decided beforehand when they should rise and fall, and he determined their boundaries." (Acts 17:24-26)

"David found favor with God and asked for the privilege of building a permanent Temple for the God of Jacob. But it was Solomon who actually built it. However, the Most High doesn’t live in temples made by human hands. As the prophet says,

'Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
Could you build me a temple as good as that?’
asks the Lord.
‘Could you build me such a resting place?Didn’t my hands make both heaven and earth?’ (Acts 7:46-50)

The location doesn't matter, what matters is worshipping the Father in "Spirit and Truth."

John 4:19-24

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Reading the Acts of the Apostles and the epistles I see the saints gathering in houses instead of big buildings.
Acts 2:46, Acts 8:3, Acts 20:20, Romans 16:5, 1 Corinthians 16:19, Colossians 3:15, Philemon 1:2
The solution you offer is house churches with some verse talking about some homes Christians met in. But I don't know the problem you see. What is the problem which concerns you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It's hard to get 30 or more people into someone's home? Not enough bathrooms? No place for a potluck? You'd have to have too many pastors??--Not everyone has a pool for baptisms? Too many tired wives after cleaning up the mess?? Insurance rates too high?? Having to take out all those licenses for public meetings?? Pets getting too upset over all the commotion and barking throughout the services if not biting a few obnoxious children--or adults?? Lack of parking spaces??? Hard to keep it cool enough with soo many people in the summer and hard to get that many people warm in the winter--causing too much body contact for warmth which makes the wife suspicious?? Electrical and water bills go too high for the home?? Everybody too tired from work to clean the house up for that many people to mess up again?? Laryngitis from shouting to make yourself heard above the dogs and kids without a sound system??.........

Reactions: mikedsjr
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The typical church building of modern times is built in the form of a Roman home. Because Christians first worshipped in private homes, this evolution seems quite understandable to me.
Well, actually in the form of larger, Roman civic buildings, for the reasons you stated. Romans temples may have been considered, but they would be too small.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Parking can be an issue as well. Some cities and towns will not allow you to have a large gathering on a regular basis. I'm lucky enough to have a large parking lot a few houses over from mine and, with their permission, my guests park there.

House churches are fine if as long as the leadership is biblical and that's the rub...

Here is a group of house churches that seem to get it right.

Christ Fellowship of Kansas

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Let's not forget Christianity is the natural and prophetic outgrowth of Judaism which met in buildings like the Temple and synagogues. They initially met in homes to celebrate the Christian aspects of their faith like the Eucharist, baptisms and for fellowship apart from the Jews.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0