Where di god come from?

floss76

Oct 16, 2008
✟15,114.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
hi all im totally new to all of this in a disscusion i ahd with a family member i asked the question who created god or where did he come from? are we to believe it has only ever been him in exsitance? as humans i think we are some how programed to only believe something if we fully understand and by fully understanding i think we have to have a begining a middle and an end? i hope im making sense! so i guess my question is the creation is the begining of christianity,but what or how is the begining of god himself?

im guessing i wont actually get the answer to this but i just like to share my thoughts!

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
so i guess my question is the creation is the begining of christianity,but what or how is the begining of god himself?

im guessing i wont actually get the answer to this but i just like to share my thoughts!

I'm afraid this is a question we cannot answer. As far as we, and our universe, are concerned, God always has been, always is and always will be. We can't know any more than that, really.

Sorry not to have more information for you - your questions are all reasonable, but we do not have the answers.

Upvote 0

MrDave

May 14, 2007
✟15,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Friend:

You have asked a question that I'm sure millions have asked. The answer will probably not satisfy you but here's my attempt at it.

I have put that answer further down because I want to add my two cents and figured you would not get to mine thoughts if they followed the "technical answer".

Humans think in terms of what we see and experience. We think in terms of "cause" and "effect" because everything we see and experience stems from that. A "cause" is something that happens that causes something else to happen OR has an "effect". We have never see or experience anything else, so humans have trouble understanding the existence of God because when we think of God, we think there had to be a "CAUSE" for God, or something BEFORE GOD.

BUT GOD IS THE "EFFECT" WITHOUT ANY "CAUSE". Because if God was the result of a cause, then there must be something before God, there would have to be a "cause" to create God. Then we would have to continue to cycle back and back, inifinitely.

Have I lost you completely by now...lol.

What I do know is that what I see and experience is NOT INIFINITE but had a beginning. There are two competing explanations for the origin of the universe. EVOLUTION or GOD CREATED.

I accept by FAITH that GOD CREATED everything or the universe some time in the past because I believe that there had to be a EFFECT WITHOUT A CAUSE. That doesn't mean I fully understand it, "God himself stated, that His Ways and Thoughts were far beyond Human understanding." My paraphase of Isaiah 55:8-10. I have no trouble believing that. And this is precisely why I can not believe in the Evolutionary explanation for everything I see.

Evolution can not explain the EFFECT without a CAUSE. No matter how much time Evolution says it took, they can not explain how it started if there was no STARTER.

Evolution basically says: "NOTHING" plus "NOBODY" times "VAST AMOUNTS OF TIME" = EVERYTHING. No matter what they say, it comes down to HOW DID IT START?, WHERE DID IT COME FROM? WHAT'S KEEPING IT GOING? HOW DID THE INCREDIBLE COMPLEXITY OCCUR? HOW WILL IT END? Evolution has no answers to these questions.

So friend, I beleive GOD did not originate but has always existed. God was the STARTER of everything. God is beyond human comprehension. Yet God loves you and is reaching out to you to believe in HIM and accept HIS free gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ His Son. GOD says, from the moment of your conception you became an eternal being also, but you will exist forever either WITH GOD(Heaven) or separated from GOD(Hell).

I took this "technical" explanation from another website.
Where did God come from?
"We can only partially comprehend the notion of God's existence. To do so, we must use human concepts to speak of God: "without beginning or end"; "eternal"; "infinite", etc. The Bible says that He has always existed: " . . . even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God" (Psalm 90:2). And, "Your throne is established from of old; Thou art from everlasting" (Psalm 93:2). Quite simply, God has no beginning and no end. So, where did God come from? He didn't. He always was.
To us, the notion of time is linear. One second follows the next, one minute is after another. We get older, not younger and we cannot repeat the minutes that have passed us by. We have all seen the time lines on charts: early time is on the left and later time is on the right. We see nations, people's lives, and plans mapped out on straight lines from left to right. We see a beginning and an end. But God is "beyond the chart." He has no beginning or end. He simply has always been.
Also, physics has shown that time is a property that is the result of the existence of matter. Time exists when matter exists. Time has even been called the fourth dimension. But God is not matter. In fact, God created matter. He created the universe. So, time began when God created the universe. Before that, God was simply existing and time had no meaning (except conceptually), no relation to Him. Therefore, to ask where God came from is to ask a question that cannot really be applied to God in the first place. Because time has no meaning with God in relation to who He is, eternity is also not something that can be absolutely related to God. God is even beyond eternity.
Eternity is a term that we finite creatures use to express the concept of something that has no end -- and/or no beginning. Since God has no beginning or end, He has no beginning. This is because He is outside of time."

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if I'm in a minority on this, but even before I became a Christian, I always had this intuitive sense that something must be eternal and "stand-alone". As MrDave said, the universe and everything in it is contingent on there being something before it (everything has a cause). It seems logical to me that there should be one Thing which is not contingent, which is fundamental to all other things. That is God; uncreated, un-caused, eternal.

That means He's always been ("Before Abraham was, I Am"). "Always" is a difficult word, because we humans can't comprehend eternity, but the fact that we can't comprehend it certainly doesn't make it impossible or even unlikely.

Upvote 0

PastorJim

Jul 12, 2006
✟3,601.00
Faith
Baptist
]hi all im totally new to all of this in a disscusion i ahd with a family member i asked the question who created god or where did he come from?[/COLOR]

The question is tricky because it sneaks in the false assumption that God came from somewhere and then asks where that might be. The answer is that the question does not even make sense. It is like asking, "What does blue smell like?" Blue is not in the category of things that have odor, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, God is not in the category of things that are created, or come into existence, or are caused. God is uncaused and uncreated - He simply exists.

Things that are physical must have a beginning and end. God, being spirit, is not physical and so does not have a beginning or end.

Upvote 0

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Simply put to help get your mind around this...

God is outside of time. before the world was made He simply was. I find it easier to wrap my mind around that. We think of things as much as physical distance and space and time, but lay that aside and you may find clearer understanding. Nobody created God; He is.

Upvote 0

Ryft

Nihil sine Deo.
Jan 6, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
✟16,078.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
in a disscusion i ahd with a family member i asked the question who created god or where did he come from? . . . what or how is the begining of god himself?

The question assumes that God came from somewhere, making it a faulty question. No one can answer a question about where God came from if he actually did not 'come from' anywhere. When we say that God is eternal, we mean it literally—he has always been.

It is like someone asking me, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" It is a question I cannot answer, because it is a faulty question. Whether I answer 'yes' or 'no', either answer implies that I have beaten my wife, which is false. Your question is similar: it assumes God came from somewhere, and therefore cannot be answered because God did not come from anywhere.

as humans i think we are some how programed to only believe something if we fully understand

As a point of fact, humans cannot understand ANYTHING fully. The desire to "fully understand" some thing is naive. Knowledge is always tentative and provisional. It is remarkable to think about the things mankind used to 'know' but have since been proven erroneous. Furthermore, there are many things mankind is prepared to believe in the absence of any understanding (e.g. the existence of life on other planets elsewhere in the vast universe).

Upvote 0

m0rk

Oct 19, 2008
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MrDave said:
Evolution has no answers to these questions.
No but it has finely scrutinised theories. Christianity has a 'spiritual' answer, but does that explain the physical truth?

PastorJim said:
God, being spirit, is not physical and so does not have a beginning or end.
I don't think i've heard that said so definitely before. Is he not a 3rd part spirit? Spirit that can create physical matter? That's what we're saying isn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrDave

May 14, 2007
✟15,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mOrk:

The discussion of the validity of evolution belongs in a different catergory. But as I said, evolution has no answers for "where did the physical come from?". Theories are
theories, there like noses and ears, we all have one or more. I'll take God's explanation regardless of what science says. As God said to Job, "where you there?"

Upvote 0

m0rk

Oct 19, 2008
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MrDave

By definition evolution has no answers, It can't. It can only have scientific theories. So I think that's an unfair statement. Your put down of theories is also way too flippant. You dismiss science far too easily. IMHO. Giving unbalanced weight to your point, rendering it unstable.

I take Gods explanation together with science. Science helps explain Gods wonders.

Upvote 0