Western U.S.
✟49,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like to periodically assess the state of my beliefs on what I call the Doubt-O-Meter. Being as honest with myself as I can, how confident am I that what I say I believe will prove to be ontologically true? How confident am I that what I now believe will really match ultimate reality?

I placed this thread in Christian Philosophy & Ethics because philosophy is concerned with the nature of knowledge and the justification for belief (any belief).

I don’t really see this as a debate thread since belief is an individual matter. Anywhere you place yourself on the Doubt-O-Meter is fine with me.

I was born again 50 years ago. I wandered through a variety of Christian communities, from hardcore fundamentalism to Eastern Orthodoxy with lots of stops in between. I’ve extensively studied Christian theology and apologetics. I’ve experienced what certainly seemed to me like the hand of God throughout my life, sometimes in miraculous ways.

I’ve also studied other religions, notably Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism.

Lastly, I’ve studied paranormal phenomena as deeply as I have Christianity. I’ve personally experienced what are termed “afterlife” phenomena, as well as other anomalous phenomena.

With that background, my Doubt-O-Meter looks like this at the moment:
  • 97% confidence (3% doubt) that consciousness (mind), not matter, is the fundamental “stuff” comprising our reality.
  • 95% confidence (5% doubt) that consciousness survives physical death (in some form).
  • 95% confidence (5% doubt) that we live in a created reality.
  • 90% confidence (10% doubt) in theism (meaning a personal creator who interacts with the creation, as opposed to a deistic creator who doesn’t).
  • 90% confidence (10%) that, of the available alternatives, Christianity will prove to be the closest match with ultimate reality. (This could vary from almost 0% to the full 90% if we were talking about specific ostensibly Christian denominations and creeds.)
I thus try to live my life as though my understanding of Christianity were ontologically true, even though it may not be. Even 1% doubt would require me to acknowledge that what I believe may prove to be 100% wrong, as I do.

One legitimate way to claim a 100% level of confidence in Christianity would be to say that I have an actual "knowing" through the internal witness of the Holy Spirit. If I didn't think I had this knowing, I wouldn't claim even a 90% level of confidence. However, I recognize that plenty of people claim an inner knowing for things that obviously aren't true and that I could be just as mistaken.

I’d be curious to know where others place their beliefs on the Doubt-O-Meter.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I like to periodically assess the state of my beliefs on what I call the Doubt-O-Meter. Being as honest with myself as I can, how confident am I that what I say I believe will prove to be ontologically true? How confident am I that what I now believe will really match ultimate reality?

I placed this thread in Christian Philosophy & Ethics because philosophy is concerned with the nature of knowledge and the justification for belief (any belief).

I don’t really see this as a debate thread since belief is an individual matter. Anywhere you place yourself on the Doubt-O-Meter is fine with me.

I was born again 50 years ago. I wandered through a variety of Christian communities, from hardcore fundamentalism to Eastern Orthodoxy with lots of stops in between. I’ve extensively studied Christian theology and apologetics. I’ve experienced what certainly seemed to me like the hand of God throughout my life, sometimes in miraculous ways.

I’ve also studied other religions, notably Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism.

Lastly, I’ve studied paranormal phenomena as deeply as I have Christianity. I’ve personally experienced what are termed “afterlife” phenomena, as well as other anomalous phenomena.

With that background, my Doubt-O-Meter looks like this at the moment:
  • 97% confidence (3% doubt) that consciousness (mind), not matter, is the fundamental “stuff” comprising our reality.
  • 95% confidence (5% doubt) that consciousness survives physical death (in some form).
  • 95% confidence (5% doubt) that we live in a created reality.
  • 90% confidence (10% doubt) in theism (meaning a personal creator who interacts with the creation, as opposed to a deistic creator who doesn’t).
  • 90% confidence (10%) that, of the available alternatives, Christianity will prove to be the closest match with ultimate reality. (This could vary from almost 0% to the full 90% if we were talking about specific ostensibly Christian denominations and creeds.)
I thus try to live my life as though my understanding of Christianity were ontologically true, even though it may not be. Even 1% doubt would require me to acknowledge that what I believe may prove to be 100% wrong, as I do.

One legitimate way to claim a 100% level of confidence in Christianity would be to say that I have an actual "knowing" through the internal witness of the Holy Spirit. If I didn't think I had this knowing, I wouldn't claim even a 90% level of confidence. However, I recognize that plenty of people claim an inner knowing for things that obviously aren't true and that I could be just as mistaken.

I’d be curious to know where others place their beliefs on the Doubt-O-Meter.
What a difficult question to answer.

I would place myself on the doubt scale at a 95% confidence level, with of course, a 5% level of uncertainty.

Upvote 0

Runner12

Site Supporter
Sep 17, 2015
Western U.S.
✟49,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What a difficult question to answer.

I would place myself on the doubt scale at a 95% confidence level, with of course, a 5% level of uncertainty.
I assume you mean a 95% level of confidence in Christianity. Would you have a higher level of confidence in anything else - theism, for example, or the survival of consciousness (both of which are part and parcel of Christianity but could also be true even if Christianity weren't)?

Upvote 0

Allen of the Cross

Apr 25, 2020
Kentucky
Visit site
✟26,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I, 100%, believe in the God of the Bible. I, 100%, believe that Jesus Christ is fully God, and fully man, who came to earth to die for my sins. I, 100%, believe that the Bible accurately portrays the nature and characteristics of the Creator. Oh, I 100% believe that we are created beings. I 100% believe in the resurrection of the dead, eternal rewards/punishments, the new earth... I 100% believe in the God of the bible. Why 100%, rather than, say, 95%?

I have had dreams. Wonderful dreams. Dreams about God the Father, and Jesus Christ. The Father has allowed me to behold His face. He has given me a couple of prophecies - one involving the nation of Iran - and I watched them come true. He has told me things about life that I never would have guessed. Finally, His consistency in His speaking, His mannerisms, His poise, His countenance, and His teaching, and how He always lines up with biblical principles, have lead me to believe with 100% certainty that God is real, communicates with me in dreams, and has died for me to pay for my entry into the Kingdom of Heaven.

I do question things sometimes, but these questions never challenge or shake my intense faith in God. Truly having this type of faith in God is a blessing, and is an answer to a prayer I made when I first became a Christian: for God to give me faith unshakable. He has delivered. God bless you.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I assume you mean a 95% level of confidence in Christianity.
We are logged into Christian Forums, no need to assume what I am referring to.

100% confidence that Jesus was the absolute fulfillment of the prophets and the law. A 5% level of doubt regarding the canon of the scripture.
Would you have a higher level of confidence in anything else - theism, for example, or the survival of consciousness (both of which are part and parcel of Christianity but could also be true even if Christianity weren't)?
I keep it as simple as possible.

The commandment to believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The commandment to love others in an unconditional way as Christ loved us.

To forgive, forget, to transmit the gospel of Jesus Christ to others.

There is not too much more.

Upvote 0