Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  1. Hyper-Calvinism: Beliefs: God is the author of sin and man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only preached to the elect. i.e. duty faith. and anti-missionary Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation, also known as Neo-Gnostic Calvinism. Proponents: Joseph Hussey John Skepp and some English primitive Baptists.

2. Ultra High Calvinism: Beliefs: That the elect are in some sense eternally justified. A denial of: The Well–Meant Offer; Common Grace; and God having any love for the non-elect. Proponents: John Gill, some ministers in the Protestant Reformed Church of America

3. High Calvinism: Beliefs: That God in no sense desires to save the reprobate, Most deny the Well-Meant Offer. Supralapsarian viewing God’s decrees. All hold to limited atonement. Most believe in particular grace and see the atonement as sufficient only for the elect. Proponents: Theodore Beza, Gordon Clark, Arthur Pink

4. Moderate Calvinism: Beliefs: That God does in some sense desires to save the reprobate, Infralapsarian in viewing God’s decrees. Affirms Common Grace. Proponents: John Calvin (some argue that he was a High-Calvinist), John Murray, RL Dabney

5. Low Calvinism: Beliefs: That Christ died for all in a legal sense, so one can speak of Christ dying for the non-elect. That God has two distinct wills. Affirms the Well-Meant Offer and Common Grace, Proponents: Amyraldrians , RT Kendal

6. Lutheranism: Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

7. American Baptist: Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure. Rejects Calvinism, some would even call it heretical. Proponents: Jerry Falwell, Adrian Rogers

8. Arminianism Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is solely based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion. Proponents: Jacob Arminius, John Wesley some Methodists
This was taken originally from http://www.exegiaaudio.org/exegiacalvinsimweb.mht, but the link no longer works.

Also, since non-Calvinists can vote, I did not post this in the Semper Reformanda forum.

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
8. Arminianism

I think once saved always saved is a false doctrine. I'd say the majority of the church today doesn't even think about sin because it's so prevalent in their lives. And what does it matter since they are going to heaven just for believing and sometimes showing up at church.

Jesus did not come to be tortured, humiliated, beaten, hated, and murdered for....nothing. Univeralism is a doctrine of devils. Here is a video which addresses this subject. This man went to heaven AND hell:

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Informative chart. I voted "moderate Calvinist" as I believe that's what Calvin was and that's what most resembles Scripture.

It's a shame that Calvin is only known and named for his views on soteriology. He spent such little time discussing soteriology in all of his works. His greatest contributions have been in the areas of biblical exegesis, pneumatology, and ecclesiology but he is not known for these.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Synergist

Synergism and Monergism are typically spoken of how a person comes to faith, but there are some Calvinists who will use these terms to also define the Protestant view of progressive sanctification. I was surprised years ago to hear that seventeenth century Puritans actually held to monergistic view of sanctification (as seen in the catechisms and standards). Some Calvinists, now me, believe that even sanctification is not a cooperation between us and God, but God working through us as he did in conversion (in our view). Most typical Calvinists today, from what I have seen, believe, as I use to, that we must work with God to grow in the faith.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Synergism and Monergism are typically spoken of how a person comes to faith, but there are some Calvinists who will use these terms to also define the Protestant view of progressive sanctification. I was surprised years ago to hear that seventeenth century Puritans actually held to monergistic view of sanctification (as seen in the catechisms and standards). Some Calvinists, now me, believe that even sanctification is not a cooperation between us and God, but God working through us as he did in conversion (in our view). Most typical Calvinists today, from what I have seen, believe, as I use to, that we must work with God to grow in the faith.

I hold to a complete monergism but do not believe that monergism entails that we do not respond or work at all.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I will give a little more explanation. We are being saved first by God's grace, otherwise it would be impossible for us to get united to him. Our main goal is theosis which is achieved by cooperation between both God and man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok, I will give a little more explanation. We are being saved first by God's grace, otherwise it would be impossible for us to get united to him. Our main goal is theosis which is achieved by cooperation between both God and man.

I've tried to study Orthodoxy a little, and Theosis. I still don't completely understand it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  1. Hyper-Calvinism: Beliefs: God is the author of sin and man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only preached to the elect. i.e. duty faith. and anti-missionary Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation, also known as Neo-Gnostic Calvinism. Proponents: Joseph Hussey John Skepp and some English primitive Baptists.

2. Ultra High Calvinism: Beliefs: That the elect are in some sense eternally justified. A denial of: The Well–Meant Offer; Common Grace; and God having any love for the non-elect. Proponents: John Gill, some ministers in the Protestant Reformed Church of America

3. High Calvinism: Beliefs: That God in no sense desires to save the reprobate, Most deny the Well-Meant Offer. Supralapsarian viewing God’s decrees. All hold to limited atonement. Most believe in particular grace and see the atonement as sufficient only for the elect. Proponents: Theodore Beza, Gordon Clark, Arthur Pink

4. Moderate Calvinism: Beliefs: That God does in some sense desires to save the reprobate, Infralapsarian in viewing God’s decrees. Affirms Common Grace. Proponents: John Calvin (some argue that he was a High-Calvinist), John Murray, RL Dabney

5. Low Calvinism: Beliefs: That Christ died for all in a legal sense, so one can speak of Christ dying for the non-elect. That God has two distinct wills. Affirms the Well-Meant Offer and Common Grace, Proponents: Amyraldrians , RT Kendal

6. Lutheranism: Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

7. American Baptist: Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure. Rejects Calvinism, some would even call it heretical. Proponents: Jerry Falwell, Adrian Rogers

8. Arminianism Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is solely based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion. Proponents: Jacob Arminius, John Wesley some Methodists
This was taken originally from http://www.exegiaaudio.org/exegiacalvinsimweb.mht, but the link no longer works.

Also, since non-Calvinists can vote, I did not post this in the Semper Reformanda forum.
LOL, sorry... I'm off the chart.
I respect the ultra-tight logic of the canons of Dordt and am inclined toward determinism, but have problems with every choice offered here.
Plus I'm frustrated by the broadness of the term "Calvinist" in that while I agree with his soteriology, I part ways with him on sacramentology and ecclesiology especially in the area of... >ahem<, ...church discipline.
Then, as a creative artist/musician type, I am well aware of the limitations of logic.
That said, I'm liberal and tolerant enough of a Predestinarian to accept Free Will Donations. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I take it this way. And the KJV translators were Calvinists. Why would God use people who believe in heresy as instruments?

It is strange that God would use "heretics" to write the bible too. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Synergist. Also Calvinism is a heresy in my Church.

I take it as a compliment, especially when a select few denominations have the audacity to make that claim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I did not vote because the Calvinist descriptions are inaccurate and biased in a way that fences in certain beliefs with other beliefs. I am somewhere between moderate and high, and for the non-Calvinist "options", they are not accurate either. Classical Arminianism, so far as free will is concerned is near to and not a great deal different from Calvinism. Lutherans like Calvinists believe in total depravity and monergistic regeneration. The primary difference with Lutherans is baptism, they hold to baptismal regeneration, I think carried over from Catholocism. On free will, Lutherans are closer to high-ultra high Calvinism. American Baptists, the movement started out with Calvinists, or Particular Baptists, so originally they held the same types of views on free will. Me, I am a compatiblist, I hold to the sovereignty of God and compatiblist free will (as expressed in the Reformed Confessions), with the free will of God sovereign over the free will of man. I no longer see all the divisions in Calvinism over free will as overly helpful, great for maintaining division though, great for maintaining division among pesky Calvinists. The primary group to be concerned about, which has infiltrated all sects/denominations are the neo's, or broadly neo-orthodoxy. What is called hyper-Calvinism belongs to this group, and great preachers of the historical Christian faith like C.H. Spurgeon opposed them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I did not vote because the Calvinist descriptions are inaccurate and biased in a way that fences in certain beliefs with other beliefs

Ironically, I thought this same thing. I happen to blend between Ultra-High, High, and Moderate. But, I thought this was informative nonetheless to post.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The choices were narrow but the closest would be Arminianism... What would have been more appropriate in my humble opinion would be a choice like:

The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church (the four marks of the church).

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
8. Arminianism

I think once saved always saved is a false doctrine. I'd say the majority of the church today doesn't even think about sin because it's so prevalent in their lives. And what does it matter since they are going to heaven just for believing and sometimes showing up at church.

Jesus did not come to be tortured, humiliated, beaten, hated, and murdered for....nothing. Univeralism is a doctrine of devils. Here is a video which addresses this subject. This man went to heaven AND hell:

I've seen some Calvinists reject OSAS.

Upvote 0