• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Where Abortion meets the Death Penalty

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Usethepen, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    Why do we execute women in the US ?
    If there is even one male prison guard at the female prison,
    the woman could be pregnant at the time of execution.
    There is no way to be 100% sure that she is not pregnant.
    Most Republicans believe that life begins at conception and
    most people who support the death penalty are Republicans.

Can we abolish the death penalty for women in the US?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+619
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I'm not sure about your argument, but the death penalty is wrong. It costs too much for one.

Also I think it is unsafe to give the government unnecessary control over life and death. The death penalty is clearly unnecessary. By which I mean it isn't being used in an emergency situation like the defence of others, or war.

The person could turn out to be innocent, but we might only find this out after their death. It is more than bad luck to have the government unnecessarily murdering innocent people. Giving the government control over the life and death of its citizens unnecessarily, could be abused by a corrupt government much more.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,281
    Atheist
    Married
    AFAIK, death row inmates are quite closely monitored. As are the correctional officers employed there (for their own safety.) I think the chance of a prisoner being impregnated by a guard near the time of her execution is vanishingly small.

And anyway, absent a Constitutional amendment, it would violate equal protection to impose capital punishment for men, but not for women.

4. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

+1,614
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Darn. I thought this thread was going to be about fetuses who had been convicted of murder.

5. Glas Ridire

Glas Ridire Well-Known Member

+118
    Celtic Catholic
    Married
    We should abolish the death penalty but it has nothing to do with the OP

6. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    Where the Constitution is not written clearly it becomes a Rorschach test.
    You see what you want to see.

7. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,707
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Is there a big problem with pregnant women getting executed in America?
    I was not aware of that happening at all.

8. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    Women allege widespread sexual abuse at Alabama prison, nonprofit group says

By the CNN Wire Staff

Tue May 22, 2012

(CNN) -- Male guards at an Alabama women's prison engaged in the widespread sexual abuse of female inmates for years, a nonprofit group alleged in a formal complaint filed with the Justice Department on Tuesday.
    The Equal Justice Initiative asked the Justice Department to investigate alleged incidents occurring between 2009 and 2011 at the Tutwiler Prison for Women in Wetumpka, Alabama. The federal agency confirmed that it received the complaint though declined further comment.
    "In interviews with more than 50 women incarcerated at Tutwiler, EJI uncovered evidence of frequent and severe officer-on-inmate sexual violence," the Montgomery-based group said in a statement.
    "This troubling cycle of abuse and lack of accountability has established a widespread pattern and practice of custodial sexual misconduct," said Bryan Stevenson, the group's executive director.
    Stevenson also blamed the Alabama Department of Corrections for under-reporting the alleged attacks, which the group says include rapes, and for responding inadequately.
    The group claims that more than "20 Tutwiler employees have been transferred or terminated in the past five years for having illegal sexual contact with prisoners."
    "It's an ongoing thing, a daily thing," said Stefanie Hibbett, 31, a former Tutwiler inmate. "You see women raped and beaten, and nothing is ever done."
    Hibbett said she was the victim of sexual assault in November 2010. She said she told the prison's warden about the assault, but no charges were ever filed against the prison guard she says attacked her. An Alabama judge dismissed a civil suit she filed in the case in August.
    Several imprisoned women also allegedly became pregnant after being raped by guards, giving birth while in custody, the nonprofit group reported.
    CNN cannot independently confirm that account. The Alabama attorney general's office referred questions to the Alabama Department of Corrections, which did not immediately return a call for comment.
    A 2007 Justice Department report found that Tutwiler maintained the highest rate of sexual assault among prisons for women and 11th overall of those evaluated across the United States.

9. Lilly Owl

Lilly Owl Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?

+76
    Christian
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Women, even on death row, have physicians at their disposal. A pregnant death row inmate would not escape notice.
    If a woman is on death row, there is a particular segment of the guard population that are in charge of that particular section of the prison, as it's segregated from general population.

Furthermore, if a woman happens to be on death row it takes years for the execution of sentence to be carried out, due to the Constitutional guarantees that insure every opportunity for appeal.
    And finally, if a woman is on death row, and is absolutely guilty and not just wrongly accused, she's there for a heinous murder or murders that she did commit. If we're going to kill her, a reprieve due to a fetus in her womb, isn't a game changer.

After all, that woman could have murdered a pregnant woman in order to arrive at death row.
    The death penalty isn't perfect. It should be abolished because of those people for whom DNA testing has been a life saver even from other prison sentences they were serving until testing proved they were innocent. This includes some inmates who were on death row.
    Though it is interesting that long ago one prison's warden, in concert with I think it was the Innocence Project, proposed to all inmates the option for free DNA testing to exonerate the innocent among them. Not one inmate took up the offer.

Some say the death penalty is State sanctioned murder. However, for those inmates who are guilty of the most horrific crimes, if it's available it might as well be employed.
    After all, what's humane about asking the victims family to have their tax dollars help the savage murderer of their daughter or son to live a life sentence and grow to be a senior citizen, when those victims child wasn't allowed that chance due to that inmate?
    The only thing wrong with the death penalty is that it's not broadcast pay per view.
    It's not public like the old days when hangings were carried out in the town square, for instance.
    People should see what savagery costs. And if it appears to be more savagery, at least it sends the message that we'll not tolerate evil survived in a cell for 50 or more years on a life sentence. Free stamps, free cable, free medical that likes of which good free people can't afford, and free attorneys that we pay for, but that we most likely would find hard to budget if the time came ourselves.

Thou Shalt Not Murder
    Those on death row broke the law first
    A fetus in their belly, that being sexism when it's an excuse not to execute sentence, doesn't change a thing.

10. cam44

cam44 Active Member

+19
    Catholic
    Married
    Troll.

11. SolomonVII

+4,707
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
  12. Bethesda

Bethesda Newbie

+16
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Maybe I missing something but are not death row should be abolished and it should be on TV mutually exclusive concepts? I don't personally see Jesus as someone who would support the death penalty and generally I don't (though I might make an exception for Irish terrorists but only in a heat of the action application of rule 5.56); I also find the rather atavistic comments of some on this forum - not this particular thread(re how after the return of Jesus as Lord there will be world wide extermination and capital punishment on a grand scale) slightly chilling - not in that its up to God to decide how He applies justice, but that human beings should rather revel in mass extermination of all those heathens)

13. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Drift and Doubt

+118
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Green
    We should just abolish the death penalty all together. It's an embarrassing anachronism in a 21st century first world nation. This isn't the dark ages anymore. Heck, even in medieval Russia they were civilized enough to abolish it for a while.

14. SPB1987

SPB1987 Newbie

+26
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Death penalty is unnecessary? What do you suppose we do with serial killers and mass shooters(the ones who survive obviously)?

15. GenetoJean

GenetoJean Veteran

+121
    Anglican
    Private
    US-Others
    Keep them in jail for the rest of their lives for less cost than all the legal bills add up before we execute them.

16. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+619
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Lock them up, like we do in most civilised countries.

17. EdwinWillers

EdwinWillers Well-Known Member

+2,847
    Niue
    Christian
    Married
    ...and none of them were pregnant (assuming post-execution autopsies are "100%" accurate).

18. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    I see, then it will not be missed if it is abolished.

Also the death penalty legitimizes hate.
    Forgive my chivalry, but I could never bring myself to hate a woman.

19. SolomonVII

+4,707
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I only see that it is an insignificant issue in the first place.

Yes.
    It expresses the hatred of incorrigible evil.

Whatever.
    If hatred of abortion is the intent, then the political focus would be concerned for the millions that are defined as a woman's moral right, rather than a nonexistent problem that has contributed to no indaverant fetal deaths.
    Justice hates evil, and is blind to the issue of gender.

If you truly love women, you must hate abortion, which demeans and destroys that which makes a woman's natue unique in the first place.
    Capital punishment is so insignificant in that regard that it is not only a non-issue, but a diversion from where attention really ought to be focused in the first place.

20. All Englands Skies

All Englands Skies Christian-Syndicalist

+459
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single

I disagree with Abortion and death penalties.