When you were a child, who brought the Christmas presents for you, according to your parents?

When you were a child, who brought the Christmas presents for you, according to your parents?

• Father Christmas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Santa Claus

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • the Christ Child (Christkindl in German)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Grandfather Frost

• some elf or fairy

• some other mythological figure

• Total voters

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

You may perhaps say: Uncle X - or Aunt Y - but they are not among the options here.
My parents told me it was Father Christmas but I did not believe them. So they stopped saying it.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟171,008.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My parents told us from the very beginning that it was them who put the presents there. Maybe that's why I never understood the logic behind telling children strange stories related to Christmas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟93,732.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My parents told us from the very beginning that it was them who put the presents there. Maybe that's why I never understood the logic behind telling children strange stories related to Christmas.
Let me put it this way: There is more to life than logic.
There are also feelings.
And feelings are not always logical. :)

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟171,008.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let me put it this way: There is more to life than logic.
There are also feelings.
And feelings are not always logical. :)
Feelings aren't always good. Why would you lie to your child about the origin of the presents? When you make your child believe that "Santa Claus" or "Father Christmas" are real, and one day your child finds out that it isn't true, why do you think your child will still believe that God is real?

I think as Christian parents we are responsible to raise our children in the truth.

By the way, children don't need these kinds of stories to enjoy Christmas. I was always looking forward to it. Not only was I grateful towards my parents for the presents (which is much better than thinking that you got them from some stranger), but I also understood that Christ is the center of the holidays, not the presents (nor some mythological creature).

That's what I meant by "I never understood the logic". There doesn't seem to be any good argument for a Christian parent to tell their children such stories. Quite the opposite.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟93,732.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would you lie to your child about the origin of the presents?

Talking of Santa and the Christ Child and Saint Nicholas is not "lying".
Just as telling fairy tales is not lying.

Let us agree to dis-agree. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟171,008.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Talking of Santa and the Christ Child and Saint Nicholas is not "lying".
Just as telling fairy tales is not lying.

Let us agree to dis-agree. :)
Sure :) But I would be very skeptical if a parent tells their children fairy tales as if they are true stories. As a German I grew up with the Gebrüder Grimm, and it was always clear to me that these are fictional. I see no issue telling your children about Santa Claus if it's treated as a fairy tale. But we both know that that's not what happens most of the time.

On a side note: Yes, I do not agree with everything Luther said.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My parents told me it was Father Christmas but I did not believe them. So they stopped saying it.
I figured it out very early based on simple logistics, and accidentally devised a test that same Christmas that confirmed my hypothesis. Was told to keep it secret to keep from ruining Christmas for my friends and cousins, and I did.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Feelings aren't always good. Why would you lie to your child about the origin of the presents? When you make your child believe that "Santa Claus" or "Father Christmas" are real, and one day your child finds out that it isn't true, why do you think your child will still believe that God is real?

This very thing has bothered me through the years. Once, I lied about it, and it bothered me. Later, ours admitted they had already figured it out, but still, I lied. Other than that, I didn't discuss it at all.

I noticed ours figured it out early, too, and concocted tests that were more of the find-the-presents variety. It said much that starting in September, they'd take me on tours of the toy aisles in a department store.

Upvote 0