dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Today I visited my mother who is a christian and 89 years old - shes been a tremendous support to me in recent years when I have been struggling with depression and anxiety. Sometimes she has on a christian TV channel - and over the last year I have said to her watch less news and have sought sometimes to get her interested in other activities - because of the constant stream of COVID reports - I don't know whether it bothers her a lot but she has asked several times when is this virus going to go away - but thats beside the point - today she had on a christian TV channel. I listened for a few minutes and thought it was a pretty good insight was being shared - it was a preacher I hadn't heard of. There was break and when it came back it was another program - preacher / church - who is on this channel quite a bit - I know of this teacher and there is criticism of his teaching from some quarters and I began to say to my mum I wasn't keen on listening to him and why - I found it hard to say clearly why and she said she would listen to him right through at some point and see what she thought - well that just concerned me and I tried to dissuade her. The conversation went on and mentioned the antics of another prosperity teacher I had seen online - earlier I was not sure about what he was saying and doing (such as dancing on money offerings and saying he was blessing it) - there are people who will defend this behaviour and I admit was unsure after reading some of the supporting comments - but when I described it my mother she said "no - thats not right" - however the guy who was on today is less extreme and quite polished and mum commented on the size of his congregation - and wondered if he was wrong why God didn't stop him. I had to just say there is criticism of him and that the Bible says there will be deceivers in the end times.

This TV channel I mention I believe has content that is good and biblical but also seems to have a bit of prosperty teaching and some emergent teaching.

The other day I was reading Derek Prince and he was saying about not speaking evil of other believers - but are we to not say when we are concerned about a mixed message? And how should I do that biblically? When I cannot clearly articulate a concern with what is on TV or when it might seem like I would be criticising something that at other points seems biblical - I usually just pray for my mum that she be shielded from any malign influences or mixed messages.

Last edited:

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The other day I was reading Derek Prince and he was saying about not speaking evil of other believers - but are we not say when we are concerned about a mixed message? And how should I do that biblically?

Hey, I skimmed the OP but just wanted to say I think Derek Prince is a pretty solid guy. I've listened to some of his stuff on YT and he seems like a genuine preacher.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I skimmed the OP but just wanted to say I think Derek Prince is a pretty solid guy. I've listened to some of his stuff on YT and he seems like a genuine preacher.

I agree - Derek Prince is not the subject of my post - I have found one of his books very helpful.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the subject of your post?

You appear to be posting about your mother listing to questionable preachers.

May I suggest you talk to her about watching some of the natural history programmes that are available, to also look at some of the fitnss programmes for her age group, to also introduce her to audio programmes and talking books, music channels and on line sermons. Try the Martin Lloyd- Jones on line sermons. His accent might be a problem being English/Welsh, but he as a very sound Bible depositor in his day.

The idea being to give her some variety in what she is watching and listening to.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is the subject of your post?

You appear to be posting about your mother listing to questionable preachers.

May I suggest you talk to her about watching some of the natural history programmes that are available, to also look at some of the fitnss programmes for her age group, to also introduce her to audio programmes and talking books, musicchannels and on line sermons. Try the Martin Lloyd- Jones on line sermons. His accent might be a problem being English/Welsh, but he as a very sound Bible depositor in his day.

The idea being to give her some variety in what she is watching and listening to.

Its mainly about how this preacher sounds christian but his message was more or less how a person can use faith to become successful - its a man centred message I believe - Some have refered to this sort of preaching as "theology of glory" without a theology of the Cross. I found something online that I can print off for my mum - a critique (by Michael S Horton) of this kind of preaching.

As regards your suggestions I don't think she would be able to do much in the way of exercises as she needs a walking stick and extra hand rails to navigate the house. She watches quizzes and antique shows sometimes if she is resting in the afternoon. I find its best perhaps to leave her to decide what to watch - I did buy her a knitting magazine with wool because she can knit but hasn't for ages - I'd rather she'd take it up of her own initiative though. Otherwise she has some jigsaws she sometimes has a go at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I don't start this thread to mention specific preachers and prefer not to get into a debate about anyone in particular.

The background to this is as follows I was influenced by some prosperity teachers in my earlier life and have begun to see errors in some of these teachers. Today I visited my mother who is a christian and 89 years old - shes been a tremendous support to me in recent years when I have been struggling with depression and anxiety. Sometimes she has on a christian TV channel - and over the last year I have said to her watch less news and have sought sometimes to get her interested in other activities - because of the constant stream of COVID reports - I don't know whether it bothers her a lot but she has asked several times when is this virus going to go away - but thats beside the point - today she had on a christian TV channel. I listened for a few minutes and thought it was a pretty good insight was being shared - it was a preacher I hadn't heard of. There was break and when it came back it was another program - preacher / church - who is on this channel quite a bit - I know of this teacher and there is criticism of his teaching from some quarters and I began to say to my mum I wasn't keen on listening to him and why - I found it hard to say clearly why and she said she would listen to him right through at some point and see what she thought - well that just concerned me and I tried to dissuade her. The conversation went on and mentioned the antics of another prosperity teacher I had seen online - earlier I was not sure about what he was saying and doing (such as dancing on money offerings and saying he was blessing it) - there are people who will defend this behaviour and I admit was unsure after reading some of the supporting comments - but when I described it my mother she said "no - thats not right" - however the guy who was on today is less extreme and quite polished and mum commented on the size of his congregation - and wondered if he was wrong why God didn't stop him. I had to just say there is criticism of him and that the Bible says there will be deceivers in the end times.

Well back when I was in error I knew of this chap then and had prayed that he would be able to teach people how to live for God and enjoy life - but now I think the message is "earthly" (James 3:15) and more or less a mixture of the American Dream and Christianity - its not obviously heretical, yet I think it may be a stepping stone away from true christianity. It is not wrong to enjoy life or any blessing God has given and be thankful - and God wants us to excel in life to some extent - but there is something about this preacher and his message I find troubling. I have found in fact considerable opposition in my life when I have taken a stand biblically on some issues - its actually affected me healthwise at times - and lead to a lot of soul-searching, and I wonder sometimes is my faith wrong when I hear these teachers.

I have found myself not once in my life having to intercede for lengthy period for my whole family (brothers / sister / mother) and other concerns and find other christians sometimes uncomprehending of the sort of spiritual buffeting I sometimes find myself undergoing.

This TV channel I mention I believe has content that is good and biblical but also seems to have a bit of prosperty teaching and some emergent teaching.

I have been more content of late and coming back to Christ and this sort of message would set me back spiritually if I let it - I think it might change my trajectory if I listened to much of it. God has been very good to me as my nerves have not been good and provided me with somewhere to live (the previous place I lived I had some difficult neighbours)

The other day I was reading Derek Prince and he was saying about not speaking evil of other believers - but are we to not say when we are concerned about a mixed message? And how should I do that biblically? When I cannot clearly articulate a concern with what is on TV or when it might seem like I would be criticising something that at other points seems biblical - I usually just pray for my mum that she be shielded from any malign influences or mixed messages.
You should consider what apostle John have said :

I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. -1 John 2:26
But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie'just as it has taught you, abide in him. -1 John 2:27

I hope what He has told you help you.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Is she a person that constantly has to be doing something with her hands or watching TV? If she has the attention span, maybe see if you can get her interested in some podcasts. I use quite a few of them to pass the time when I’m trying to avoid the chaos outside.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is she a person that constantly has to be doing something with her hands or watching TV? If she has the attention span, maybe see if you can get her interested in some podcasts. I use quite a few of them to pass the time when I’m trying to avoid the chaos outside.

No I was just trying to give her or encourage her to do things that keep her mind active and something she can see some meaningful results from and thought knitting would be good towards that end and better than wordsquares and puzzles - she has no internet and would not be able to understand how to use it.

Reactions: CMDRExorcist
Upvote 0