When you speak of "being saved," what does that mean?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me it means Christ paid for all of the sins of those who believe in him and for no others. And my faith is evidence that I'm one of them. Had he not died for me, I could not believe in any true sense.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me it means Christ paid for all of the sins of those who believe in him and for no others. And my faith is evidence that I'm one of them. Had he not died for me, I could not believe in any true sense.

And that is all it means to you? sins paid for.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looking forward to hearing what others believe it is.
Story communicates, and here is our salvation in a story, the full chapter -- Luke 15 NIV. He loved us, even to give his life here, even when we were still enemies of God.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is the entire theme of the Old and New Testament. From God physically saving Israel to Jesus Christ of Nazareth saving the Whole world. It is conquering sin and death through the will of God for humanity.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Salvation is first and foremost a PERSON. Our Lord's name Yeshua [english version Jesus] actually means salvation.

Isaiah 12:3
Therefore you will joyously draw water From the springs of [Yeshua].

Matthew 1:21
She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Salvation [Jesus], for He will save His people from their sins.”

It also means coming into a relationship with the Lord. Everything else flows from that, including eternal life and sins being forgiven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I had a "come to Jesus moment" (hope I'm using that phrase right) and have tried to follow Him as closely as possible since.

However, I don't know if I'll be saved or not, I only know for sure that I have been saved and that I'm being saved.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a "come to Jesus moment" (hope I'm using that phrase right) and have tried to follow Him as closely as possible since.

However, I don't know if I'll be saved or not, I only know for sure that I have been saved and that I'm being saved.
Jesus says whoever believes HAS eternal life. Rejoice!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Being saved is knowing the Gospel in all of it's life transforming effects.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

1 John

1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the Father also loves the one born of Him. 2By this we know that we love the children of God: when we love God and keep His commandments. 3For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome, 4because everyone born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world: our faith.

5Who then overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. 6This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ—not by water alone, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies to this, because the Spirit is the truth. 7For there are three that testify:a8the Spirit, the water, and the blood—and these three are in agreement.

9Even if we accept human testimony, the testimony of God is greater. For this is the testimony that God has given about His Son. 10Whoever believes in the Son of God has this testimony within him; whoever does not believe God has made Him out to be a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony God has given about His Son.

11And this is that testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

13I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Amen.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the word "saved" can have different meanings.

First, one is saved when he or she trusts in Jesus; the person is reconciled with God and forgiven and adopted to now be a child of God.

I think there are scripture verses which talk about how we have been saved so we begin with Jesus >

Romans 8:24 is one.

Also, we have Ephesians 2:5 and 2:8.

And there is 2 Timothy 1:9.

And Jesus told Paul that Jesus was sending Paul to us Gentiles in order to turn us "from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God" > in Acts 26:18. So, this I would say is talking about the initial act of God rescuing us . . . saving us . . . from being in sin and in Satan's kingdom and power. So, "saved" includes being changed so we are no longer under the power of Satan. This comes with being "joined to the Lord . . . one spirit with Him" (in 1 Corinthians 6:17).

And this beginning in Jesus would be what also Titus 3:5 is talking about . . . how God renews a person spiritually so the person trusts in Jesus and begins to be corrected (Hebrews 12:4-11) and become more and more maturely free from how Satanic things can mess the person. But, like I say, the person needs to grow more and more strong in this (Ephesians 6:10).

We still can give in to wrong spiritual stuff > Philippians 2:13-16 < we need to become more and more perfectly and maturely one spirit with Jesus, I consider > Galatians 4:19, 1 John 4:17-18. And this is what other scriptures with "saved" might be talking about > for example >

In 1 Timothy 4:6 Paul talks with Timothy about how Timothy can be able to save his own self and those who listen to him. Now, we understand that already Timothy was saved, but there is still what he needs to do to "save" himself and those who listen to him.

And Romans 5:10 says,

"For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." (Romans 5:10)

So, yes we have been saved by Jesus on the cross > reconciled with God > but Paul says still "we shall be saved by His life". Not saved by His death, but "by His life", Paul says.

So, when people say Jesus "saved" them, they usually mean how already Jesus has died for us and we have trusted in Jesus for salvation and Jesus has forgiven us. Ones are not talking about how "we shall be saved by His life."

I personally understand that His life which will save us is His love living in us (Romans 5:5) to change our nature (2 Peter 1:4) so we are ready to share eternity with Jesus > 1 John 4:17; and God's own correction in us changes us so we so share with Him, in His own holiness in the "peaceable fruit of righteousness" of this love > Hebrews 12:4-11.

Jesus growing in us more and more shares His very own nature of love with us, in our character > Galatians 4:19, 2 Peter 1:4.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I believe that I am a triune being. I am spirit, soul, body. My 'spirit' is made in the "image of God"....and "God is spirit". My spirit lives in a sinful flesh body, just like the one Jesus came in.

ROM 8:3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do: sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh...

A body which Paul and Peter both said was really just a "tent we/I live in".

I also have a soul which is the functioning aspect of the brain as non flesh 'mind, will, emotions'.

Jesus died on the cross to pay the eternal consequence of the sins of the whole world. Whether 'you believe in him or not'. Scripture says He atoned for all.

1JO 2:2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

I believe that accepting what Jesus did gets my spirit saved first. My old spirit is reborn as the 'spirit of Christ in me'. And scriptures supporting OSAS all pertain to my 'new creation spirit', but not my soul or my body. Since getting a saved spirit, I am working out the salvation of my soul. This is a life long process which is marked with 'steps forward' in saving myself (putting on the mind of Christ). And this is a salvation which saves me from this wicked generation. But it has also been marked with times of backsliding and steps backward. The last part of me to BE saved is my sinful flesh body.

But, even as Peter preached the first sermon to the infant church of Jerusalem, I can now be saved from the temporal consequence of the sins of this world I live in too. So I can have not only life in this age, but life abundant in the ages to come. My soul and body do not have to suffer the temporal judgments of God for sins committed in this life that I live. I can deal with sin in this life by 'Christ being formed in me'.

ACT 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost....40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this perverse generation.

So I personally see salvation for all three parts of me as being;
My spirit having been saved is my ticket into heaven in the hereafter.
My soul being progressively saved or being progressively lost, is my ticket into heaven in me here and now but also as rewards in the hereafter. Or judgment here and now for sins not being dealt with temporally.
My body will be a saved and glorified body, in heaven in the hereafter. It is paying the temporal price for temporal sins here and now. And, should the Lord tarry, it will pay the ultimate price of death and returning to ashes or dust from whence it came.

Last edited:
Upvote 0