California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I do not believe you should make light of homelessness. People without homes are, for the most part, miserable...cold, wet, can't get a shower, how to hold a job?
In Isaiah we are told to take the homeless into our homes. That is God's heart about it. Homelessness is a travesty. It should not be. We subsidize the oil companies who make way too much money off of public resources to begin with, we subsidize many evil things. I would much rather see my taxes go to taking care of the people.

Where is your home?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, sounds like you are hanging in there. I am glad to hear that. Yes, I have done many jobs I hated. Right now I am liking my job alright..very nice people and a decent wage.
I disagree though, with what you said about wages. One person should not make thousands of dollars an hour while another makes $12. You just can't live on $12. And the CEO's at those burger joints could show some respect for the workers by taking less and paying more; they would not be rich if not for the workers, and they would not have to raise prices either, if they did that. Also, many of the lowest paying jobs are the most important...caregiving, childcare, people who pick the food for our tables... It is greed, looking out for #1, and God hates it. That's why at judgment he will say to some "I was hungry and you fed me," and to others, "away from me you evil doers..." because they did not.
Love in Christ to you Andrew. I have been praying for you, Robin

The CEO of McDonald's, got $8 Million. McDonald's has 210,000 employees. If you confiscated that entire $8 million, and gave it to the employees, that would be $38 per year per person. Or less than 75 cents per weekly check.

CEO pay is not the problem. The problem is how much is the customer willing to pay for a good or service. If the customer isn't willing to pay more for a burger, then you can't pay your employees more to make the burger.

By the way, you can't actually take that $8 Million and give it to the employees either. Most of that is not actually cash. It's stock. You can't pay hourly wage employees in stock, because they would starve to death. Stock can't be sold for several years after being given to the CEO as compensation. What would an hour wage employee do with stock they can't sell?

And lastly, stores like that run independently of the company. I worked at a McDonald's that was losing money, while McDonald's corporate was making huge profits. It doesn't matter how much money McDonald's Corporate is making, if the store you are working at is losing the money. They can't pay more, even if they wanted to. The store itself is losing money, then there is no money to pay employees more. That store ended up closing and all the employees were laid off.

The solution is to do something of higher value.

I've lived off $10/hour. Actually I lived off of $6/hour for a whole year. That's a long story, but it sucked really bad... but I still did it.

Having lived on $20,000 or less, for more than two decades, I can say that you can do it. Is it fun? No. It is easy? Not at all. But you can live on very little. People around the world live on $2 a day. You just don't need Air conditioning, or a cell phone, or cable TV, or eating out, or expensive organic food. I've lived off Rice and Chicken, for decades.

When I was eye balls deep in debt, I didn't replace my clothes for years on end. All my socks had holes, and all my shirts were ripped. But you can live on very little. Its a choice.

Then people should take their kids to the more expensive caregivers, and daycares, and buy the more expensive food. If you look at the wages that are paid to employees at the expensive businesses, they are higher. So go patron those places.

The problem is, customers want cheap daycare. The daycare can't pay the employee more money, if the customer isn't willing to pay more money.

That's an interesting take on that verse. Everyone I have ever heard talk about that verse, used it reference to those on the street, or people who can't work. Not people who agreed to do a job for an agreed upon wage. In fact, Jesus referenced that in one of his parables. Matthew 20:13

Jesus is talking about the owner of the Vineyard who made an agreement with the workers that they would work all day for single denarious. One denarious as worth about $50 to $60 in US dollars. That means a worker in Jesus day, was actually earning just about what a minimum wage worker earns today.

The workers confront the vineyard owner claiming they should be paid more. Now see what Jesus says:

"But he answered one of them, 'I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money?"​

Jesus affirms directly the right of the owner of the business, to do what they want with their own money. And Jesus is affirming that you are not owed anymore than what you agree to work for. It's up to you to find a job that pays more money, if you want more money. It's not for you to demand the owners pay you more, because you think you deserve more.

Now you want to really laugh about this? Just as I was typing that out, I completely convicted myself. Is that not a joke.....

One of my beefs with this job, is not that I want more pay.... but I am irritated that there are other people who are sitting around screwing off, while I work. I just realized that verse also applies to me, because if the company wants to pay someone else to screw off, its their money to do with as they please. I agreed to work for a wage, and I need to 'Take my pay, and go.'

Is that not a riot or what.... Just nailed myself to the wall with my own post. I really am an idiot. :)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't do 'friends'. Friends are just people who pretend to be nice, before they stab you in the back.

I can understand the hurtfulness of friends.
We are also living in the last days.
But do not lose hope.
There are a few good people out there.
Pray to the Lord for them to come into your life.
I would say that my wife is my best friend.
My best man (who is a Christian) is my next good friend.
It helps if they know the Lord Jesus and truly strive to honor Him and they do not justify sin.

You said:
Honestly I can't think of anything I 'want' to do :)

We should have a desire to do those things that please God, like studying His Word, spreading the gospel, or His Word, helping the poor, striving to love everyone, etc.
This comes when we pray to the Lord to change our heart more to align with what He desires.
Then it will not matter what job you will do for money.
You will already be happy in working for the Lord.

Not aligning with God's will in working for the Lord is why you are not happy right now.

You said:
Well I can, I want to go to Heaven where everything will be great and wonderful :D

Thanks for your post.

Diamonds are pieces of coal that are put under intense pressure.
If life was always easy, we would not really appreciate things.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Andrew77

Do you think the apostle Paul was concerned about his happiness in being a tent maker?
I am not so sure that was his focus. I believe Paul did it as merely a means to preach the good news (of which is what he really wanted to do). Basically, what I am trying to say is strive to follow the Lord Jesus with everything you got, and then you will be happy.

We have to think like God thinks. We have to build up in having the fruits of the Spirit like love, joy, and peace, etc. Ask the Lord for help, and He will help you, my friend. But please, put away the thinking that a job will make you happy. God wants us to focus on loving Him and in loving others. Build on changing yourself from the inside and do not seek for happiness in external things that perish.

For you see life as being something dismal to live.
This is not how it should be. You should be happy despite your outside surroundings. God's promises and good ways should make you happy. But you need to focus on putting God's Word in your heart more in order for it to change you so that you can be happy every day.

I hope this helps.

Peace be unto you in the Lord.

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
You just don't need Air conditioning

That is something that I cannot actually live without.

This time of year, especially in Florida where I live, is too hot and humid for me. It actually makes my asthma 1000 times worse than any other time of year. Basically from the end of March when it starts to get hotter and we have more humid days combined with all the pollen in the air till the first couple of cold fronts that come through in October and November, my asthma is really bad. The air conditioning actually helps to keep my asthma under control with a maintenance inhaler, when I am able to get one.

Air conditioning for me is not a luxury, it is more of a necessity and the electric bill does go up because of it, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I suppose you are right. It just seems like if nothing is going to change, and if growing old and dying is all that I have to look forward to.... Kind of wish there was a fast forward button, ya know?

Andrew, nothing is going to change your life except you. I see someone who has given up on themselves and resigned themselves to being miserable. It doesn't ha e to be that way brother, as Rocky says "Ain't nothing going to hit you harder than life, it ain't about how hard you get hit but it's about how you can get hit and still get up and keep going forward." You hate your job, stick with it but look for another you might like better, your unqualified, maybe look into night school courses, you are alone, get out there, talk to people. Grab life and by the short and curlies and give it a good yank even if that's getting up off your couch and going for a walk for an hour, looking around you and taking in everything around you. YOU can do this, we are not giving up on you, no one is hitting that ignore button brother, it's never too late to change. Trust me I've been there but I did it so can you!

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I suppose you are right. It just seems like if nothing is going to change, and if growing old and dying is all that I have to look forward to.... Kind of wish there was a fast forward button, ya know?

The change you need to make needs to be a life that is spiritual for the Lord in order to be happy. Currently, brother, you are focused on external things to be happy. So I would encourage you to pray to the Lord in dedicating yourself to following Jesus. Whether that is a decision to be a home church Pastor, or a street preacher, or handing out tracts and food to those who are poor on the street. Ask God to change your heart more brother to focus on His good ways. Make the Bible your top mission to know. Seek God's words as if they were treasure. Study His Word more every day on your own time (and not in a church). Make God your delight. Worship Him in secret. Pray to Him in secret. Do good things for others in secret for the Lord. Do not seek the outward approval of men, but only seek to please God. Make Him the #1 of your life, and you will notice a change in your life. Ask the Lord to forgive you if there are any sins standing between you and Him. Ask Him if there are any wrong beliefs from popular Christianity that you are holding on to. You will have a love, joy, and peace that you have never known before if you do, brother.

Again, I say these things in love, and not to control you or anything.
Your choice in deciding to follow the Lord is ultimately up to you.
But I say what I do so that your joy in the Lord may be full.

Peace and blessings to you in the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That is something that I cannot actually live without.

This time of year, especially in Florida where I live, is too hot and humid for me. It actually makes my asthma 1000 times worse than any other time of year. Basically from the end of March when it starts to get hotter and we have more humid days combined with all the pollen in the air till the first couple of cold fronts that come through in October and November, my asthma is really bad. The air conditioning actually helps to keep my asthma under control with a maintenance inhaler, when I am able to get one.

Air conditioning for me is not a luxury, it is more of a necessity and the electric bill does go up because of it, that's for sure.

I volunteer with a construction crew in Appalachia every summer, sort of like Habitat for Humanity. The poverty is intense in a lot of places there. It gets hot & humid as stew but a lot of folks don't have AC or can't afford to run it. Including ones with asthma, the elderly, kids. I read up on how humans stayed cool for all those years prior to AC. We tried to incorporate some of that the best we could.
How Did Humans Handle Intense Heat Before Air Conditioning Became Popular?
15 Brilliant Ways To Keep Your Home Cool Without Air Conditioning

Ice tea is also heavenly when it's hot out.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I volunteer with a construction crew in Appalachia every summer, sort of like Habitat for Humanity. The poverty is intense in a lot of places there. It gets hot & humid as stew but a lot of folks don't have AC or can't afford to run it. Including ones with asthma, the elderly, kids. I read up on how humans stayed cool for all those years prior to AC. We tried to incorporate some of that the best we could.
How Did Humans Handle Intense Heat Before Air Conditioning Became Popular?
15 Brilliant Ways To Keep Your Home Cool Without Air Conditioning

Ice tea is also heavenly when it's hot out.

Iced tea is pretty much all I drink.

The ideas that you mention, I have tried many, but this Florida heat and humidity beats many of those ideas. Especially living on the second floor of an apartment building.

A/C truly is a necessity for me as not only does it cool the air, but it takes out the humidity.

My problem is, the A/C unit is as old as this building. Which means it's going on 35 years old. They will not replace it unless it completely breaks and they have no choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Iced tea is pretty much all I drink.

The ideas that you mention, I have tried many, but this Florida heat and humidity beats many of those ideas. Especially living on the second floor of an apartment building.

A/C truly is a necessity for me as not only does it cool the air, but it takes out the humidity.

My problem is, the A/C unit is as old as this building. Which means it's going on 35 years old. They will not replace it unless it completely breaks and they have no choice.

Have you looked at portable AC units on wheels? Some are pretty effective.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
When you spend all weekend, just dreading going to work. You hate your job, but can't find another, because you are worthless.

I've put out my resume, but the only offers are worse jobs, for lower pay. Why would I do that? So instead I stay at this place that treats me like I am a dog, because.... I finally realized... I am a dog. I have no skills, failed out of college, no abilities, nothing.

I actually am a dog. 41 years old, and no one wants me. But it's my fault they don't want me. Every time I tried to get a degree, or anything, I failed. So it's not their fault, it's my fault. I simply have no value to offer. I can't program, can't do mechanical work, can't manage people, can't do anything.

So I put my resume out, and got offered a job standing on my feet 8 hours straight, picking up 50 lbs boxes, for $11/hours. That's what I'm offered after months of looking. 20 years of experience. 41 years old. A pay cut, and miserable working conditions.

This really is it. This is the end of my story. I stay here at this crap job, with a garbage company, dreading every day of my life... until I get to the end of my life.

Really?

I hate asking 'why' because I know it's a waste of time question that never gets answered.

Yet I still can't help but wonder.... why did G-d make such a worthless human being like me? For what? Stay poor and die? I can't help anyone, not even myself. So why am I here? Just to make rich CEOs wealthy I suppose.

Reminds me of a joke I once saw "Perhaps the purpose of your life is to serve of a warning to others."

To be honest I feel the same way. I'm disabled and stuck at a part job where I'm treated like crap that only accomodates some of my disabilities and no one really thinks about making it so that I don't go home afterwards needing to lie down for the rest of the day in silence to recover and recuperate enough to be able to get out of bed the next day (if I'm lucky). The only reason I still have the job is because getting SSDI is near impossible in this state and I need to pay my outrageous medical costs.

But that's all my life is. Is going to work, staying home bc I can't go out and do normal activities with friends, not dating bc -- again -- i can't go out and do normal activities with friends and because dating men before has gone pretty badly for me and I've decided that the search is too exhausting and not really worth my precious time, dealing with an abusive mother who only sees me as a failure and only had me because she thought I could be "the one good thing" in her life that could blot out the unhappiness and bitterness of her own life, and playing PC games that kinda help me get out of my own head space for awhile.

The only thing keeping me going is the love I have from my few precious friends and the knowledge that despite what I think and despite what my situation is, I still have SOME value. Even if it isn't a lot of value, I still have some.

I fear the day that even that little bit of value is no longer there.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you spend all weekend, just dreading going to work. You hate your job, but can't find another, because you are worthless.

It's not that you are worthless, but that the jobs you are looking for do not fit with your gifts, OR the firms involved aren't able to recognise the worth that you have.
But it sounds like you are not able to believe that.

I've put out my resume, but the only offers are worse jobs, for lower pay. Why would I do that? So instead I stay at this place that treats me like I am a dog,

Do you want them to treat you like that?
How does it make you feel? Angry? Resigned?

because.... I finally realized... I am a dog. I have no skills, failed out of college, no abilities, nothing.

I actually am a dog.

If you actually were a dog you could make a fortune, since dogs can't use computers or write articulate posts.
Dogs are loyal, affectionate and can be trained. Different dogs have different abilities - some instinctively fetch, hunt, seek out and a number of other things. Dogs are used to help disabled people in many ways - guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for those with autism, dogs who have been trained to recognise epileptic symptoms and the start of a fit. Some dogs recognise tumours and can smell cancer. Other dogs are taken into hospitals for those with dementia, the elderly or the depressed to pat, stroke and make a fuss of. Dogs help the police to sniff out drugs and catch criminals and there are dogs in the army. Dogs are valuable, and great companions, to many people.
In other countries, dogs pull sledges and are part of rescue teams.
Which of those are you?

41 years old, and no one wants me. But it's my fault they don't want me.

It's not your fault if the firm you are applying to can't see what you have to offer.
It is your fault if your words, or attitude, say "don't give me a chance, I'm useless/I'll blow it."

Every time I tried to get a degree, or anything, I failed.

Neither I, nor 2 of my brothers, have degrees.

So it's not their fault, it's my fault.

Failing to get a degree is not failure - giving up because you don't think you come up to someone else's standard; is.

I simply have no value to offer. I can't program, can't do mechanical work, can't manage people, can't do anything.

I'm sure there is something you can do. What do you enjoy?

So I put my resume out, and got offered a job standing on my feet 8 hours straight, picking up 50 lbs boxes, for $11/hours. That's what I'm offered after months of looking. 20 years of experience.

20 years of experience in what?
If the answer is "standing on my feet picking up heavy boxes" - you're strong and loyal.
You also know how to write a C.V.

This really is it. This is the end of my story. I stay here at this crap job, with a garbage company, dreading every day of my life... until I get to the end of my life.

Really?

No, not really. Only if you want it to be.
Have you tried doing some voluntary work; in a shop, care home, on a telephone helpline - even with an animal's charity, looking after badly treated pets? Most jobs will involve some sort of training, and in a year or two your C.V will say "volunteered at ......, did ...... and learnt skills of ......". You may even get a reference from the manager/charity director.

And how about looking at your job a different way? Not just "garbage" but "recycling"? Would you be allowed to take any of the bigger items home? Could you restore them; turn trash into cash?
Could you dispose with other types of garbage - help people get rid of the garbage in their lives by becoming a counsellor?

Yet I still can't help but wonder.... why did G-d make such a worthless human being like me?

He didn't, he made someone in his image, Genesis 1:26-27.
YOU are made by God, in his image. And you were made with a purpose - to reflect his image, 2 Corinthians 3:18. HOW you reflect that image is up to you, and may depend on the gifts he has given you. But even if you never did any other job in your life, you can still reflect his image by BEING - being kind, good, pure, Christ-like etc.

I can't help anyone, not even myself.

Then let other people - and maybe doctors - help you until you can.
It may be that you are depressed, that's why you can't see any good in anything.

Reminds me of a joke I once saw "Perhaps the purpose of your life is to serve of a warning to others."

That's not a joke.
Why do you believe your life is a warning to others?
If you really believe your lack of qualifications have led to your current position, and that this COULD be a warning to others, like kids - why not go into schools and tell them? Surely any teacher would welcome a talk on "if you don't study and work hard, you may end up working in garbage"? Why not use your, apparent, warning of a life to help others? Write a book, maybe? It may never get published, but writing everything down could be therapeutic and help you to see more clearly.

• Agree
Reactions: Robin Mauro
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Andrew77

Columbus is expensive to live
-have you thought about moving closing to your parents to any town less expensive to help yourself financially?

- have you ever thought about being a mgr?
at a store or restaurant? these jobs often have job openings as need flexibility & you're flexible since single

-are you sending exact same resume to each place? if so, get some resume help to focus on your qualities for each job applying

-do some soul searching to find out what you're good at/ like to do and is there a job you and your experiences would be a good fit

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Andrew77

at a store or restaurant? these jobs often have job openings as need flexibility & you're flexible since single

-are you sending exact same resume to each place? if so, get some resume help to focus on your qualities for each job applying

-do some soul searching to find out what you're good at/ like to do and is there a job you and your experiences would be a good fit

Ditto the above...get someone else to look at your resume and not friends or family....get an honest opinion does it need to be more punchy, stand out, updated.

There must be courses you can apply for to update your skills or learn something new. I knew a waitress who thought she was doomed to spend her days as a waitress until she did a night course in teaching....she now has a successful career in early education. It's out there but it's not going to look for you, you got to look for it.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
@Andrew77

Columbus is expensive to live
-have you thought about moving closing to your parents to any town less expensive to help yourself financially?

My parents live in Upper Arlington, which is the absolute most expensive place in central Ohio to live. Growing up, I was the only kid that had a $3,000 used car. Kids showed up in Cameros, BMWs, and Jeeps. You know, because their parents wouldn't be caught dead in a car that was an entire three full years old.

No, I have turned down management jobs. I can't see myself as a manager, and I tend to do very poorly dealing with other people.

Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Ditto the above...get someone else to look at your resume and not friends or family....get an honest opinion does it need to be more punchy, stand out, updated.

There must be courses you can apply for to update your skills or learn something new. I knew a waitress who thought she was doomed to spend her days as a waitress until she did a night course in teaching....she now has a successful career in early education. It's out there but it's not going to look for you, you got to look for it.

I have done this multiple times. I am told that my resume looks good. Regardless, people do not believe me when I tell them what kind of jobs I am offered with that resume. So I don't know what the disconnect is.

Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not that you are worthless, but that the jobs you are looking for do not fit with your gifts, OR the firms involved aren't able to recognise the worth that you have.

If you actually were a dog you could make a fortune, since dogs can't use computers or write articulate posts.
Dogs are loyal, affectionate and can be trained. Different dogs have different abilities - some instinctively fetch, hunt, seek out and a number of other things. Dogs are used to help disabled people in many ways - guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for those with autism, dogs who have been trained to recognise epileptic symptoms and the start of a fit. Some dogs recognise tumours and can smell cancer. Other dogs are taken into hospitals for those with dementia, the elderly or the depressed to pat, stroke and make a fuss of. Dogs help the police to sniff out drugs and catch criminals and there are dogs in the army. Dogs are valuable, and great companions, to many people.
In other countries, dogs pull sledges and are part of rescue teams.
Which of those are you?

It's not your fault if the firm you are applying to can't see what you have to offer.
It is your fault if your words, or attitude, say "don't give me a chance, I'm useless/I'll blow it."

Neither I, nor 2 of my brothers, have degrees.

Failing to get a degree is not failure - giving up because you don't think you come up to someone else's standard; is.

I'm sure there is something you can do. What do you enjoy?

If the answer is "standing on my feet picking up heavy boxes" - you're strong and loyal.

No, not really. Only if you want it to be.
Have you tried doing some voluntary work; in a shop, care home, on a telephone helpline - even with an animal's charity, looking after badly treated pets? Most jobs will involve some sort of training, and in a year or two your C.V will say "volunteered at ......, did ...... and learnt skills of ......". You may even get a reference from the manager/charity director.

And how about looking at your job a different way? Not just "garbage" but "recycling"? Would you be allowed to take any of the bigger items home? Could you restore them; turn trash into cash?
Could you dispose with other types of garbage - help people get rid of the garbage in their lives by becoming a counsellor?

He didn't, he made someone in his image, Genesis 1:26-27.
YOU are made by God, in his image. And you were made with a purpose - to reflect his image, 2 Corinthians 3:18. HOW you reflect that image is up to you, and may depend on the gifts he has given you. But even if you never did any other job in your life, you can still reflect his image by BEING - being kind, good, pure, Christ-like etc.

Then let other people - and maybe doctors - help you until you can.
It may be that you are depressed, that's why you can't see any good in anything.

That's not a joke.
If you really believe your lack of qualifications have led to your current position, and that this COULD be a warning to others, like kids - why not go into schools and tell them? Surely any teacher would welcome a talk on "if you don't study and work hard, you may end up working in garbage"? Why not use your, apparent, warning of a life to help others? Write a book, maybe? It may never get published, but writing everything down could be therapeutic and help you to see more clearly.

Years ago in a Church group, we did a group thing where we tried to figure out each others gifts. I could not, and nor could anyone else, figure out if I had any 'gifts'. In the end a 20 year old next to me said "You must have the gift of accepting hospitality!".

If I have any gifts, I do not know what they are, or apparently how to use them, or how they would help in real life. It's been 41 years on this planet. I would expect I would have found something I'm good at by now.

I don't. But the options are, stay here and work, or go somewhere else worse with lower pay. Resigned is the word. I felt resigned when I got the job to start with. I actually turned this job down twice, because I knew how this company was. But when you have a stack of bills, and no money, you have to work and be miserable. That's how life is. You must work no matter how terrible it is.

Which of those are you?

I'm the dog that smells cancers, since that's all I seem to find in life. Joking aside, that was the most interesting twist on my post I've ever seen. Impressive spin towards the positive.

One of the fascinating contradictions in my life, is that if I think the job will be good and I try for it, I blow it. If I hate the job, or don't want it, then I get it.

Let me give you an example. I got a job at a place running a circuit board building machine (surface mount pick and place machine). I loved the job. I worked 10-hour to 12-hour shifts for a month. The job was close to my house. I enjoyed everything I was doing.

They laid me off after working all those hours, and shown the door. Everyone was telling me "they just didn't have any work", but in reality I got a call from a recruiter for that same job. I told the guy they likely wouldn't hire me, but if he could just ask why they didn't want me. He didn't believe me, but called back "yeah they don't want you. Something about upsetting the apple cart". Never saw any apples or a cart in that building the whole time I was there.... but I must have tipped it over.

I have no idea why they got rid of me. But that's how my life goes. If I like the job, they fire me.

Then you spin it around. I'm working at an auto parts store. I *hate* that job. Absolutely hate it. Everyone thinks I'm brilliant. They keep asking if I want to work more hours, and I keep saying no I don't even want to work the hours that I am. I hated that job so much....

The manager of the store comes and offers me a management positions. That's how my life goes. The more I hate and despise the job, the more they want me to work it. The more I love the job, the more they kick me out.

The above story line has played out more times than I can even remember now. I hope you can forgive me if I'm a bit cynical now.

I guess my point was that I don't hold it against other people, when my lack of skill and talent is entirely on me, not them. I don't have an entitlement belief system, that somehow I'm owed a middle class income or something.

If I really was worth more than this, someone out there would be paying me more money for what I do.

That statement is misleading. I should say 20 years of working, not 'experience' because everyone asks 'in what?'. Just in working. Just doing stuff. I've had more than... I think I'm up to 37 different jobs now? Somewhere around there.

Have you tried doing some voluntary work; in a shop, care home, on a telephone helpline - even with an animal's charity, looking after badly treated pets?

Yes, I have done charity or voluntary work, more than a few times, although none of what you listed. Um... I have not ever thought to put that on a resume. That seems... I don't know... that makes me feel odd, to put charity work on a resume. Like 'look at me, I'm generous'. In fact, I don't even like to to tell people what charities I have supported, or how much, or most of the time that I even give to charity.

I'm the kind of guy that buys flowers for the mothers at my company, and does everything I can to hide who bought them. Have a tag that says "From Mega-Corp" or whatever, so they don't know I bought them. I don't like people knowing I'm doing something like that.

So you don't think that's a big deal to put charity work on a resume? Just rubs me the wrong way somehow.

That's not a joke.

I do! One of the things this job does, is have teenagers come and work, usually during summer. I warn kids call the time "don't end up like me". All the time. I see people there with massive talent at stuff constantly. And most of those kids are already earning more than me.

But yeah, I tell them all the time, go get that internship, find a company that will pay for your training, get that certification, get your degree, and move out of here before you end up like me with no future, sitting around waiting for time to go by. I'd say I give that speech every week.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have done charity or voluntary work, more than a few times, although none of what you listed. Um... I have not ever thought to put that on a resume.

have always put volunteer work on resume especially places volunteered a year or more

skills picked up through non paid work can be referenced at interview
if one doesn't have a certain qualification through paid work, one might have picked it up through volunteer work

all the more reason to get professional advice re resume since you're not getting interviews for positions you want

when husband lost his job due to downsizing, he got professional advice/career counselling & sent over 100 resumes out

Upvote 0