Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When I Pray to the Most High and think of Jesus... I see nothing.
I can’t imagine how glorious He is.
I don’t know how my Lord looks. As an Orthodox, even with images I still can’t.
And I don’t want to either. I know He is more wonderful than I could imagine.
Fellow Christians, do you have a “look” on Christ?
My friend says she imagines Him with blue eyes, etc.
What are your thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: Junia

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,198.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well it's good that you don't have any images when you pray. But you're friend imaging is just wrong. Never imagine when you pray or if images come into your mind, whatever may be, don't pay attention to them, since that's the Devil's work. Tell you're friend that she should stop imagining while praying.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well it's good that you don't have any images when you pray. But you're friend imaging is just wrong. Never imagine when you pray or if images come into your mind, whatever may be, don't pay attention to them, since that's the Devil's work. Tell you're friend that she should stop imagining while praying.
Thank you, fellow Orthodox Christian!
I forgot to mention my friend is much younger than me and still has a childish mind.
But yes I will, any age should Pray to God fully.

Reactions: F.E.A.R.
Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,198.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, fellow Orthodox Christian!
I forgot to mention my friend is much younger than me and still has a childish mind.
But yes I will, any age should Pray to God fully.
Well the way you describe her, she's still not aware of it. Imagining or random images won't go away easily. She needs to talk to a priest if she's Orthodox. God hears our prayers because he loves us (as for other non-Orthodox, I don't know how God answers their prayers). The Orthodox Church acknowledges that we are all sinners, and that Jesus Christ is the only perfect person free of sin. As such, it is the belief within the Eastern Orthodox Church and within most jurisdictions that “God will accept the prayers of everyone who prays genuinely from their heart for forgiveness.”

Also I should put this here "Prayer for others is very beneficial to him who prays. It purifies the heart, strengthens the faith, and kindles love for God and neighbor." - My life in Christ p.183 St. John of Kronstadt

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He appears to me like most tradiiotnal Jesus paintings eg more Spanish looking in colouring (light olive, sallow skin) than Middle Eastern (bronze or a deep olive skin, possibly even brown) with a hooked nose and long wavy hair- totally not how Jesus would actually have looked- Jesus was neither an Ashkenazi Jew with an aquiline nose nor a Spaniard with long wavy hair but a Middle Eastern Jew- in other words would have looked like an Arab, hair no longer than around his ears, so i know my image of Him is inaccurate, but never mind- it is His character when i see Him that tells me He is Jesus- His absoloute qiet gentleness and the love in His eyes. How H egently advises me and when i mess up tells what to do better......He is like a loving father to me...

I believe that Jesus personally appears to me this way because 1/ most English churches present him as looking like either a spaniard or an ashkenazi jew with white skin so i grew up with that image of Him even though i KNOW He would have looked very different, that is the image i relate to as i grew up with it imprinted on my brain and He would come to me in a way that i recognise Him, maybe? although am quite sure He capable of doing otherwise

2/ i grew up with a Jesus image that looked angry or disappointed in me all the time. as a young child i had "visions" of what i believed ot be Jesus, appearance like a church painting, white robe and long hair and all, but His face so angry. i knew He hated me. i just knew it. because i was not a good child on the inside- i hated my parents, my dad especially and was full of bitterness and wicked thoughts towards them... due to my dad abusing me, i think. and the other men that did it later on.....

when i got saved I was hsown some lovely demonstrations of His love but i still had a "bad" image in my head that needed replacing... so i decided one day that judging from the Bible, what would Jesus's countenance be when He appeared to me???

So i read these verses on how I am accepted in the beloved and he is well pleased with us as His children, so when i see Him now, His face is different. he still looks Spanish and wears a white robe, like in the painting by that Russian child (Akiane somebody? her exact name escapes me) but His face this time is (also like in Akiane's painting) so full of compassion, tenderness and love. When i mess up i see Him correcting me gently and He smiles at me, taking ismple pleasure in hsowing Himself to me.

When i see Jesus i often see Him laughing, not in a lewd or crass way, but a genuine joy. He is life itself and love itself.....it i shard to describe but I know Him when I see Him

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that Jesus gives us glimoses of who He is but we don't see the whole picture until we meet Him face to face on that glorious Day. we see in a glass dimly, as Paul said.... we don't get the whole picture whilst we are on earth but we will when we see Him.

I remember a church in Jerusalem i visited as a teenager. The Church of All Nations. I remember the stained glass windows each from a different country and they all saw Jesus in different ways, mostly like how He woudl look if He were one of them eg Chinese Jesus, Black Jesus etc i see nothing wrong with that as long as they were just representing Him as they really imagined Him. i have heard that in medieval times and even later, some European artists who did not like Israel or the Jews tried to make Jesus look as European and Gentile as possible to erase His Jewishness. Now that is wrong, becausr the motive is evil and i would say blasphemous. Images should not set out to deny eho Jesus really is and that is when i believe images of Him start to become making Jesus in your own image because youa re tryng to change the reality of who He is. the church of All Nations, i believe, was probably innocent believers who just saw Jesus like one of them (just like me tending to see Him as being white, like me, simply because i grew up as a white (well, mostly white) girl in a white culture. i think that kind of thing is fine, although ultimately only Jesus knows the hearts of those who designed the windows)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've seen things during my spiritual captivity and after my deliverance. I don't like to fixate on subjects like this. It can inspire a desire for supernatural experiences which often includes a measure of deception. I don't allow thoughts about His appearance to enter my mind. I focus on His holiness instead.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've seen things during my spiritual captivity and after my deliverance. I don't like to fixate on subjects like this. It can inspire a desire for supernatural experiences which often includes a measure of deception. I don't allow thoughts about His appearance to enter my mind. I focus on His holiness instead.

~Bella

i suppose it depends on the content of them. if they inspire fear, doubt or isn in us they may be demonically inspired. if they spur us on in our faith, comfort and encourage us, then they are good and can be recieved that way.

hence i changed my mental picture of an UnBiblical angry Jesus to a loving compassioante one (more in line with the Word of God) an dit has helped encourage me in my faith

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
and of course, the Bible is our yardstick. i was speaking with a friend the other day who believes that Bible is not neccessary and that God speaks to us personally. whilst i believe that God certianly does speak to us personally, the Bible acts a yardstick to tell us if what we are seeing or hearing is /are accurate. for example the old Jesus image i used to have was not helpful to me so i replaced it with a more helpful image.

what is wrong usually equals what is not helpful to us and what is right usually equals what builds us up in our hope and love for Jesus (and knowing we are loved by Him). Much better to err on the side of loving too much or having too much grace and compassion for ourselves and others

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. —2 Corinthians 11:14

~Bella

oh yes. i think that is what happened with the visions i had of Jesus as a child....Satan was putting themin my mind....Images of a false Jesus who condemns instead of loves......and they brought fear and despair into my mind, Jesus encourages us not makes us feel hopeless. He is uplifting and everyhting beautiful and hopeful

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
oh yes. i think that is what happened with the visions i had of Jesus as a child....Satan was putting themin my mind....Images of a false Jesus who condemns instead of loves......and they brought fear and despair into my mind, Jesus encourages us not makes us feel hopeless. He is uplifting and everyhting beautiful and hopeful

Not all things from him are gruesome. He deceives more through pleasant messages and comforting images. He knows most won’t question them. That’s why I emphasize motives in my responses.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not all things from him are gruesome. He deceives more through pleasant messages and comforting images. He knows most won’t question them. That’s why I emphasize motives in my responses.

~Bella

oh sure, i guess that could happen too for some people. i think the fruit is whow we know whether it from gOD? if it produces fruit of assurance of salvation, peace, hope, more trust in God etc though we can be sure it is of God.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
of course we cannot judge the walks of others. i am only giving my own testimony here. i do like to encourage others by sharing it.

also my motive was very good- i realised my old picture of jesus as someone who was going to be angry with me and send me to hell wss not helping me in my walk with God so i consciously decided to re-frame my picture of God, sometimes when i pray i feel the old Jesus coming back telling me am not right with God but i choose not to feed that lie of Satan and i fill my mind with positive images of God

Satans best tool is condemnation and discouragement to distract us from our goal of follwoing Jesus. therefore an image of an angry God who is mad at me is a lie from Satan. that is obvious.....whenevr i hear a voice inside me teling me my faith is false i pray in tongue suntil it goes away...and usually it does. i have to battle harder some days than others. we relly are in a war. but the good news is, we have Jesus on our side!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
oh sure, i guess that could happen too for some people. i think the fruit is whow we know whether it from gOD? if it produces fruit of assurance of salvation, peace, hope, more trust in God etc though we can be sure it is of God.

I have the gift of discernment. I can recall numerous instances when it wasn’t the Holy Spirit addressing me. Satan can quote scripture. I listened closely and used to record everything I saw and heard while it happened. Sometimes I knew immediately it was a lie. Others became evident as I wrote.

I measure divine events against the word and confirmation from others. There are people in my life the Lord has used in that capacity. I pay attention to synergy too.

Earlier I shared a comment from a book (I didn’t name it) and someone started a thread about it (same message I mentioned) a little later. That was a 411 for me. Not only because of the synergy but also the insight I was given on the subject.

These are some of the ways He addresses me which are appropriate for my maturity and gifting. But others may have different experiences. He knows how to reach us.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have the gift of discernment. I can recall numerous instances when it wasn’t the Holy Spirit addressing me. Satan can quote scripture. I listened closely and used to record everything I saw and heard while it happened. Sometimes I knew immediately it was a lie. Others became evident as I wrote.

I measure divine events against the word and confirmation from others. There are people in my life the Lord has used in that capacity. I pay attention to synergy too.

Earlier I shared a comment from a book (I didn’t name it) and someone started a thread about it (same message I mentioned) a little later. That was a 411 for me. Not only because of the synergy but also the insight I was given on the subject.

These are some of the ways He addresses me which are appropriate for my maturity and gifting. But others may have different experiences. He knows how to reach us.

~Bella
this is interesting. what is synergy?

like you i also measure my experiences against the word and am a prophetess with a gift of discernment. it osund slike youa nd i have a lot on common. are you also prophetic like me? i am involved in the prophetic movement and it has been amazing ho wmany glorious things God has allowed me to see

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

~Bella

yes, amen! God comes to us as exactly what we need at that moment. like fo rme, i knew i had a lot of fear and condemnation and low self esteem and that is what taught me to change my image of God from an angry heelfire and brimstone type to a loving gentle saviour type.... then he led me to teachings which taught me how God loves His children and to discard anththing that contradicts that picture of Him..... i know satan uses fear and condemnation as a weapon to turn us from the Narrow Path.... if we sare ont he narro wpath we are secure in our identity in Christ...that is one thing i cling to.....i needed that loving God so i chose a new way of thinking about Jesus, discarded the old teachings i had been taught about God demanding perfection and beign hard to please or distant and angry to meet that need and He has been with me ever since,,,,

i love your avatar by the way!!! reminds me of La Nozze De Figaro by Mozart. one of my favourites to sing and lsiten to

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Me either, nor do I expect to neither. I wouldn't despair

sometimes i see nothing. other times He comes to me.....God does whatever He wants....The wind blows wherever it please...so it us with us, who are born of His spirit.

Upvote 0