• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

When will Rome be in the Church?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Light of the East, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ☦Marius☦

☦Marius☦ Murican Supporter

+2,044
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Lol have you ever heard liberal Catholics and conservative Catholics talk about each other?

2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    you were enrolled in the catechumenate?

3. ml5363

ml5363 Well-Known Member

+215
    Christian
    Married
    Yes they were based off of Christ's teachings...not a hierachy

4. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+14,060
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    @Al Masihi
    Some direct questions which may help others as they respond to you

1) Have you been able to attend any Orthodox Churches ?
    2) Have you been able to contact an Orthodox Priest ?
    3) Have you been able to attend any Eastern Catholic Churches ?
    4) Have you been able to contact any priest - Catholic [ Eastern or Latin ] or Orthodox ?

5. Stabat

Stabat Stat Crux, dum volvitur orbis Supporter

+7,663
    Denmark
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single
    nm.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Well-Known Member Supporter

+551
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Christ’s teachings (The Faith) are maintained in their fullness in the Orthodox Church. The Catholic Church added to the faith and Protestant’s have taken away from the faith. The hierarchy isn’t the problem, however, hierarchy is something that inherent in creation, but I will not get into that topic at the moment as it would be a digression.

7. SingularityOne

+551
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    This does not nullify the fact that the Faith is maintained in it’s fullness in the Orthodox Church. The Catholic Church added to the faith and Protestant’s have taken away from the faith. It’s a matter of the Theology that has been maintained throughout all the ages unchanged (not added to).

We can disagree with one another, but that doesn’t mean that The Mind of the Church changes within the Heart of the Orthodox Church. The Heart of the Catholic Church has deviated from the Mind of the Church in it’s teachings/dogmatics. The Catholic Church is in schism.

However, I will agree that it is “by their fruits that you will know them”, but as the goal of a Christian is to crucify one’s mind/heart to the Mind of the Church, then The Mind of the Church should be the one that has been maintained in it’s fullness throughout the ages.

Edit: as I always like to point out... the early Church was conciliar, not papal run.

8. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,748
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Because we are all sinful people in the Church, you will always have squabbles and fights. The fact that we are still one despite all that is testimony to the truth of the Orthodox faith.

9. Stabat

+7,663
    Denmark
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single

10. SingularityOne

+551
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Maybe I wasn’t clear enough... The Mind of the Church (which was developed in a conciliar fashion) is “the central control” within the maintained Theology of The Church. One’s goal as a Christian is to crucify one’s own mind to The Truth. The Truth has been maintained in The Orthodox Church even if there is discord within The Church. This discord is nothing new. God willing, there will be unity someday, but until then I must trust the Holy Spirit within the Church that has been maintained throughout all the ages through prayer, my spiritual father, and other elders that God has blessed me with within the Church. I know where The Holy Spirit is, but I cannot say where it is not, at the end of the day though.

Edit: I will not reply on this thread about this anymore since it is not the correct place to debate. If you would like to open a debate thread in Justin Martyr’s, then I would be willing to debate your stance.

11. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Church history shows otherwise. what is going on with these little schisms and excommunications had happened long before East and West split.

12. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    we don't have a lack of central control. for us, it's Christ and not the guy in Rome.

and to say that we are guilty of folks having many different answers is not an argument to make. both Michael Moore and Pope Benedict XVI are Catholics in good standing (or at least I know Moore was). I am pretty sure if you asked both the theology behind where they stand on gay "marriage," abortion, and women's ordination you'd get two different answers.

13. Ioustinos

Ioustinos Veteran

+156
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Disagreements have occurred within the Church since it's existence. That shouldn't discourage you from its truth. Any family is going to have disagreements, but that doesn't mean its not family.

I noticed your religious designation is "Traditional Catholic". That just points to the fact that even within the Roman Catholic Church there is disagreement and discord. As Marius noted, here in the US there is a huge battle occurring within the Catholic Church between traditional, conservative Catholics and liberal Catholics. Many are even opposed to Pope Francis because he is seen to be very liberal and contradicting Church teaching. For an example, you are SSPX - bring up the Latin Rite vs Novos Ordo of Vatican II amongst Catholics and grab your popcorn. It's like the Apostle Paul before the Sanhedrin.

So Roman Catholicism is not as black and white as you state - its just as messy as Orthodoxy.

14. Al Masihi

Al Masihi Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,308
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    I'm talking about things officially, not individual Catholics.

15. Al Masihi

+2,308
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    Not, yet, because theres no way I could do so.

16. Al Masihi

+2,308
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    I'd unfortunately have to answer no to all of those questions. And it will be like that for a few years.

17. Stabat

+7,663
    Denmark
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single

18. Stabat

+7,663
    Denmark
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single

19. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    so then you aren't a catechumen.

20. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    that's just not true. there are Irish Catholic parishes which banned German Catholics simply because they weren't Irish Catholics, and let's not open what Byzantine Catholics have had to endure.

there is nothing that you can point at us that we can't point right back. simply having a Pope hasn't really helped for actual unity.