Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many long for the "good old days". They want to return to a particular time period.

Where do you all stand?
Ecclesiastes 7:10
Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Some people think back to the 1950's and it is true that we were at peace in the 50's and most families back then had two parents. However, it is also true that the 50's took place before the civil rights movement, when the voting rights bill was passed, Medicare and other important measures. Truly, I cannot say really say when the good old days were. Such is probably a personal perspective and nothing more.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some people think back to the 1950's and it is true that we were at peace in the 50's and most families back then had two parents. However, it is also true that the 50's took place before the civil rights movement, when the voting rights bill was passed, Medicare and other important measures. Truly, I cannot say really say when the good old days were. Such is probably a personal perspective and nothing more.

Is it a personal perspective to reject the idea of the 50's as the good old days? I guess that it so if you were a rich white man, or those who supported the idea of a rich white upper class and upper Middle Class. There was rampant discrimination against blacks, Catholics, Jews and Native Americans. A women's place was in the home. WASP's controlled the political establishment. Even in northern cities like Boston, Catholics were exclude from many clubs, and from jobs at many companies.

I am a child of the 60's, graduating from high school in 1964. My political lineage goes back to Hubert Humphrey. I greatly prefer the country of today to that of the 50's or early 60's.
=========================
Politically, I would say that the good old days were from 1980-2008. The parties worked together. We had surpluses under Clinton. Important social legislation was passed throughout the era, including under both Bush's. I would note that Bush was and is very much pro-immigrant and supported social legislation when he was president.
=============================
HOWEVER, upon reflection, the world and our everyday life is better now than even in 2008. There is much LESS war and disease. We live longer. For all the threats to democracy in 2015-2021, I am optimistic. This year is BETTER than in 2008. And I expect that 2028 will be even better.
============
BOTTOM LINE
The good OLD days are now. The really good days are in future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alexanderfrank1985

Mar 28, 2021
Skreia
✟1,914.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Many long for the "good old days". They want to return to a particular time period.

Where do you all stand?

I never experienced it, but when my father was young he lived when there were no cars and stuff almost and the a little typical picture of a child sitting in a field of grass and playing, but I have tried to make some good memories myself with singing and stuff, I`ve also enjoyed some good movies

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Like end of the 90s, pre 9-11 basically. Neoliberalism still riding high, none of the Bush era silliness.

I am not as dismissive of Bush. He was indeed a passionate conservative, and passed the most important social legislation since Johnson: the establishment of Medicare Part D (prescription coverage).
Bush was, and is, pro-immigrant. He had the support of many Hispanics.

Unfortunately, Bush will be remembered for the wars, our countries response to 911 that was supported by almost everyone in the beginning. As with Johnson and Viet Nam, Bush couldn't find a way out. (neither could Obama or Trump).
====================
But, yes, 911 changed America and the world. Our internal and external reaction was the greatest over-reach ion US history. We've spent trillions overseas and on internal security. And we prevented 2001 style terrorist attacks, while totally failing to prevent cyber attacks, and foreign influence on various US groups (e.g. the NRA).

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,914.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When i was a teenager in the 60's. Good memories of ball games and sock hops, social change and R&B.^_^ Good memories but I don't want to go back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,739.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on if you mean it individually in our life or economically/politically.

Individually, I do not think old days were better than present or future, its on us to be flexible and to get maximum from every stage of our life.

Generally, I would say 90' - much more freedom, privacy, a lot of peace in Europe, after the fall of communism etc. Feminism was not so wild, people were not so oversensitive... and movies were not sociological agendas :)

But scientifically, technologically, regarding the spread of information, economic possibilities, today are the good days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But, yes, 911 changed America and the world. Our internal and external reaction was the greatest over-reach ion US history. We've spent trillions overseas and on internal security. And we prevented 2001 style terrorist attacks, while totally failing to prevent cyber attacks, and foreign influence on various US groups (e.g. the NRA).

On 9-11, just under 3,000 Americans died....despite that horrid attack, one's chances of being killed by a terrorist were (and are) very slim.

From a 2019 Brown University report:
"...since late 2001, the United States has appropriated and is obligated to spend $6.4 trillion on counterterrorism efforts through the end of 2020. An estimated $5.4 trillion of that total has funded, and will continue to fund, counterterrorism wars and smaller operations in more than 80 countries; an additional minimum of $1 trillion will provide care for veterans of those wars through the next several decades."

In a separate report released on the same day, Lutz and Neta Crawford, another Costs of War co-director and a professor of political science at Boston University, estimate that between 770,000 and 801,000 people have died in post-9/11 wars. The total estimate includes civilian deaths — some 312,000 or more — as well as deaths of opposition fighters (more than 250,000), members of the U.S. military (7,014) and journalists and humanitarian workers (1,343).

To date, 566,000 Americans (and 3.1 Million globally) have died from a virus...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not as dismissive of Bush. He was indeed a passionate conservative, and passed the most important social legislation since Johnson: the establishment of Medicare Part D (prescription coverage).
Bush was, and is, pro-immigrant. He had the support of many Hispanics.

Unfortunately, Bush will be remembered for the wars, our countries response to 911 that was supported by almost everyone in the beginning. As with Johnson and Viet Nam, Bush couldn't find a way out. (neither could Obama or Trump).
====================
I graduated high school in 1977 in a Virginia suburb of DC. Nixon had resigned. Gerald Ford was president, then a peanut farmer named Jimmy Carter from Plains Georgia was elected. He is the oldest living president. I am trying to learn as I age. My strength has receded some. Technology and information sharing has increased to the point I think these are the good old days. It reminds me of a Carly Simon song, “Anticipation.”

Jesus said, “Seek first the kingdom of God...and all these other things will be added to you as well.” It is in the Gospels, Acts, Paul’s letters and choice parts of the Old Testament. Jesus was careful about what he quoted from the Old Testament as some verses are better than other verses.

Christ’s teachings against violence may not support a rapid build up of aircraft carriers when we do not have enough computer chips and a pitiful merchant marine fleet.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I was a child of the 70's and 80's, so I would have to say 80's. My personal experience was that the 80's were an amazing decade. If I were to pick one decade, it would be the 50's, just so I could go back and own a vehicle or two from that era and live in a simpler time.

Speaking of the 90's and 2000's, they paled in comparison to the 80's and felt artificial to me in a lot of ways. The music of the time, grunge, highly annoying pop music. I'd say the worst part was seeing society take a nose dive into depravity starting with the late 80's. The Clinton era and scandals, the ridiculous Simpson trial spectacle, the music, TV shows and movies that shaped the way people think today.

I used to look back and wish I was back in the 80's again, but each decade had its own issues. Nowadays, I look forward, to heaven instead. Until that day comes, I live in the present, enjoying creation and doing as I am called to do.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know what made the good old days best..? Less responsibility, resulting in a worry-free lifestyle.

...Worry causes stress, which leads to unhappiness.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think it all depends on what country you've lived in.

To me growing up in the 60's compared to now was more enjoyable. I wasn't an American with the Vietnam thing giving our nation grief being in Canada so I'm guessing Americans wouldn't have liked the decade but the going to the Moon dream was a pretty great thing. As a kid I followed closely everything going on with the U.S. Nasa.....from Mercury project, Gemini, Apollo.....I knew all the astronauts by name like some kids know sports stars.

I'm thankful to them for all the memories. It was a time when there was big dreams, and everything seemed possible. 2001 A Space Odyssey made us actually believe that by the time 2001 year came about we probably would have gone to Jupiter, Saturn....alas....no such thing at least with men on ships. Not sure what the dreams are for our modern day but I think we need dreams to excite and motivate us to greatness.

Upvote 0