Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What does the Lord do when we repent of our sin?
When we repent of our sin, God refrains from chastising us (if we're saved).

When we repent of our disbelief, we receive salvation through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think he "cleanses us of all unrighteousness" - that's from memory - I hope it's the right Scripture.
Do you mean by this that he forgives us of all our sin, or does he cause us to have no more sinful thoughts?

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean by this that he forgives us of all our sin, or does he cause us to have no more sinful thoughts?
It is said that Henry VIII said to Thomas More 'I prayed that the Lord would preserve me from sin so I know I have not sinned'. More asked if he was confident that was the case and Henry replied 'I am the King of England, when I pray, God listens.'

Repentance and forgiveness is more a way of life. There is no inoculation against the evil we are capable of, beyond our determination to l;eave the past in dust and ashes and return to the Lord our God.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It is said that Henry VIII said to Thomas More 'I prayed that the Lord would preserve me from sin so I know I have not sinned'. More asked if he was confident that was the case and Henry replied 'I am the King of England, when I pray, God listens.'

Repentance and forgiveness is more a way of life. There is no inoculation against the evil we are capable of, beyond our determination to l;eave the past in dust and ashes and return to the Lord our God.
I find that though the Lord forgives me for my sin, I still struggle with temptation.

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find that though the Lord forgives me for my sin, I still struggle with temptation.

Everyone does, but the longer you stay away from particular/specific sins the less you are tempted by those specific sins. Doesn't mean Satan won't pop up with a temptation from time to time, but the scripture: "Submit yourselves then, to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you" means that you'll stop being plagued after a time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think he forgives us and cleanses us but I think that we are to "take every thought captive" and not allow our thoughts to dwell on sinful things. Although satan shoots evil thoughts into our minds. I don't think that we have to feel guilty that a sinful thought shot into our mind, but we shouldn't act on it or nurture an evil thought.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the Lord do when we repent of our sin?

The best way to understand repentance is to study what the writer meant and how it is expressed or acted out in Scripture. I you misunderstand, it leads to fruitless learning and barren living. I will demonstrate.

The normal understanding is that repentance means remorse, feeling sorry.

A criminal may feel remorse at depriving a child of a parent he killed, but he may not do more than that.

Repentance is changing of ways of living. Meta noia means "change mind". It's not just the criminal deciding not to kill anymore people. In the Bible, it means switching from serving self interest to serving others, God and people. Hating how men inhabit the humanity that exists and longing for a better type of humanity to occupy.

Now how it manifests in Scripture:

The believer experiences the results of working for self interest: oppression by the paymaster and earnings that do not last.

Hebrews 11:13All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. 14People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Exodus 3:7
The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of My people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their oppressors, and I am aware of their sufferings.

Repentance begins in switching loyalty from serving self interest by recognising it’s evil and inadequate provision and leaving it and promising to serve God.

However, although some hate their previous life, they may not like the life God offers them. God gives them to Christ which is a sample of the life they will live and only those who confirm their faith in God to provide from them after leaving dependence on worldly ways are accepted as clean:

1 Corinthians 10:3They all ate the same spiritual food 4and drank the samespiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them, for they were struck down in the wilderness.

John 13:10
Jesus told him, "Whoever has already bathed needs only to wash his feet, and he will be completely clean. And you are clean, though not all of you."

A simplistic answer to the OP is that when people repent of their sin. serving self interest (all sins are based on this mindset) God gives them a sample of what serving others, Him and people, involves.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The best way to understand repentance is to study what the writer meant and how it is expressed or acted out in Scripture. I you misunderstand, it leads to fruitless learning and barren living. I will demonstrate.

The normal understanding is that repentance means remorse, feeling sorry.

A criminal may feel remorse at depriving a child of a parent he killed, but he may not do more than that.

Repentance is changing of ways of living. Meta noia means "change mind". It's not just the criminal deciding not to kill anymore people. In the Bible, it means switching from serving self interest to serving others, God and people. Hating how men inhabit the humanity that exists and longing for a better type of humanity to occupy.

Now how it manifests in Scripture:

The believer experiences the results of working for self interest: oppression by the paymaster and earnings that do not last.

Hebrews 11:13All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. 14People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Exodus 3:7
The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of My people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their oppressors, and I am aware of their sufferings.

Repentance begins in switching loyalty from serving self interest by recognising it’s evil and inadequate provision and leaving it and promising to serve God.

However, although some hate their previous life, they may not like the life God offers them. God gives them to Christ which is a sample of the life they will live and only those who confirm their faith in God to provide from them after leaving dependence on worldly ways are accepted as clean:

1 Corinthians 10:3They all ate the same spiritual food 4and drank the samespiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them, for they were struck down in the wilderness.

John 13:10
Jesus told him, "Whoever has already bathed needs only to wash his feet, and he will be completely clean. And you are clean, though not all of you."

A simplistic answer to the OP is that when people repent of their sin. serving self interest (all sins are based on this mindset) God gives them a sample of what serving others, Him and people, involves.
Repentance is an easy concept, isn't it? Don't give in to temptation.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In baptism, God calls us out of darkness into his marvellous light. To follow Christ means dying to sin and rising to new life with him.
Therefore I ask:

Do you reject the devil and all rebellion against God?
I reject them.
Do you renounce the deceit and corruption of evil?
I renounce them.
Do you repent of the sins that separate us from God and neighbour?
I repent of them.
Do you turn to Christ as Saviour?
I turn to Christ.
Do you submit to Christ as Lord?
I submit to Christ.
Do you come to Christ, the way, the truth and the life?
I come to Christ.
Common Worship:
Christian Initiation material from which is included here, is copyright © The Archbishops' Council 2006 and published by Church House Publishing.

There are simply two parts, one is turning our back on sin, the world and the devil, and the other is turning to and submitting to Christ to embrace Christ, and truth and the way of life that is in Christ.

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jacob and his family served the world for gains that perish in the wilderness. God gave Joseph a dream that set off a chain of events that carried Israel into Egypt. There they faced an extreme version of what it means to live a life of being exploited by the world, for gains that perish. Their repentance is seen in their rejection of the world system, serving self interest for treasure that rusts, to serving God for treasure that remains in the world to come. Repentance led to God watering them from the Rock, giving them examples of dying and being raised by God. This is called Christ, the process of picking up a cross, daily, and being resurrected daily: so that the world would see God's great works and also come out of Egypt to serve God. Believers are a showcase for God's miracles, a canvas for His word pictures. Of course it is stressful: Israel (and Judas) kept trying to go back to Egypt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums