SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
'When They See Us' Shows The Disturbing Truth About How False Confessions Happen
In the first episode of the Netflix series When They See Us, members of the New York City Police Department lie to five teenagers as they’re interrogated about the brutal rape of a jogger in Central Park. The scenes are painful to watch as the young actors portray the pain and desperation of hour after hour of deceptive interrogation. Their parents, determined to get their children out of the police station and back home, plea with them to say whatever the cops want to hear.

The teenagers, who became known in the press as the Central Park Five, didn’t know each other before they got to the police station, and the cops played them off one another. They told 14-year-old Raymond Santana they had evidence against 15-year-old Kevin Richardson, and if he just helped them build a case against Richardson by placing himself into the crime scene, he’d get to go home. They made the boys believe they were acting merely as witnesses to a crime.

In the end, four of the five boys falsely confessed. And even though no DNA linked them to the scene of the crime, and their descriptions of the victim's clothing and injuries didn't match the crime scene, they were convicted. In 2002, after prison sentences that ranged from six to 13 years, they were all released when a murderer and serial rapist confessed to the assault—and his DNA matched with that found on the jogger.
DVr2yj8XcAAsqVp.jpg:large

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There should be classes in every school that teach students and their parents how to respond to police when being questioned anywhere at any time. DON'T TALK to them, at all. Claim the 5th and ask for an attorney. Don't believe anything they tell you, they lie.

He was campaigning even when he wrote this letter.
I'm still in wonder that he could be elected POTUS.

My dad gave me this advice when I was 10....I guess I took it for granted that everyone else got the same advice.

1. Always obey the police.
2. If they arrest you, don't talk about anything and just ask for an attorney.

Didn't even take 5 mins.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Jharrel Jerome pays tribute to exonerated Central Park Five in Emmy acceptance speech
In one of the most moving moments of the 2019 Emmys, Jharrel Jerome paid tribute to the "exonerated five" as he accepted the award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series for his role in the Netflix drama "When They See Us."

Written and directed by Ava DuVernay, the four-part drama tells the true story of the Central Park Five -- Korey Wise, Antron McCray, Raymond Santana, Kevin Richardson and Yusef Salaam -- who were pressured into falsely confessing to the brutal attack and rape of Trisha Meili in 1989.

Jharrel Jerome is the youngest winner for Lead Actor in a Limited Series in Emmy history.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It was a really good limited series and showed how the boys were let down several ways. The police should not have interviewed a minor when the parent was gone. One parent should not have told his son to confess so that they police would not find out about his own legal issue.
I am glad they were exonerated.

Chernobyl was really excellent, too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums