Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m sharing this here with you from my time of personal devotions with my Lord Jesus Christ, for your encouragement. This one has been shared before but it seemed appropriate today.

A personal note on fasting. Jesus fasted at the beginning of His ministry. Why? The outcome was in being tested by the devil as to His qualifications. "If you are the Son of God" "It's written that the angels will protect you" "Worship You me” Fasting, like with lent, can be from many things.

The enticement was to act outside of God's protection.

We all face those same temptations in various forms. Christ's protection came from using the Sword of the Word of God, His only offensive tool and our only weapon also.

The dove's eye has only single vision and I believe more than anything we need singleness of vision. Duplicity is the biggest enemy that we face. We're still living in Romans 7. We have the body of death tied to us that we drag around wherever we go causing a putrification on that which has life.

For me personally I find that fasting purges in a hurry that toxic effect. Not necessary but as much a tool as any. Yet never can it be a replacement for prayer and knowing God's Word. Without those we've already placed ourselves outside of God's protection.

Looking at doublemindedness as something the bible puts much emphasis upon because without a single vision the mind of Christ is unobtainable.

Double mindedness

James 1:8
being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Psalms 119:113-115
I hate those who are double-minded, But I love Your law. You are my hiding place and my shield; I wait for Your word. Depart from me, evildoers, That I may observe the commandments of my God.

1 Kings 18:21
Elijah came near to all the people and said, "How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him." But the people did not answer him a word.

Isaiah 29:13
Then the Lord said, "Because this people draw near with their words And honor Me with their lip service, But they remove their hearts far from Me, And their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote,

Matthew 23:25-28
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. "You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.

1 Timothy 3:8
Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain,

1 Samuel 7:3
Then Samuel spoke to all the house of Israel, saying, "If you return to the LORD with all your heart, remove the foreign gods and the Ashtaroth from among you and direct your hearts to the LORD and serve Him alone; and He will deliver you from the hand of the Philistines."

Matthew 6:24
"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other You cannot serve God and wealth.

James 4:4
You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

1 John 2:15
Do not love the world nor the things in the world If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Revelation 3:15-18
'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. 'Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked,

.2 Kings 17:33

They feared the LORD and served their own gods according to the custom of the nations from among whom they had been carried away into exile.

Luke 16:13
"No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other You cannot serve God and wealth."

1 Corinthians 10:21
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.

Psalms 12:2
They speak falsehood to one another; With flattering lips and with a double heart they speak.

Psalms 119:113
I hate those who are double-minded, But I love Your law.

Proverbs 25:26
Like a trampled spring and a polluted well Is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked.

*praying constantly is finding the warm place in your heart and abiding there.*

Last edited:

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fasting is definitely a lost discipline within the church. Far too many are under this grace narrative that nothing I can do will affect my relationship with God so I will do nothing because of grace. Or if they do try and fast they fast from everyday items like TV and such. That's not a fast.

A fast is going without something your body, your flesh, needs so your spirit can grow. Going without the external distractions such as TV, etc is good and we should all do that, but it's not fasting. Good post.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fasting is definitely a lost discipline within the church. Far too many are under this grace narrative that nothing I can do will affect my relationship with God so I will do nothing because of grace. Or if they do try and fast they fast from everyday items like TV and such. That's not a fast.

A fast is going without something your body, your flesh, needs so your spirit can grow. Going without the external distractions such as TV, etc is good and we should all do that, but it's not fasting. Good post.
As I mentioned, fasting, like lent, can mean abstaining from many things. Concentration is heightened. But nothing is mandatory.

Upvote 0