When should we use tongues as a sign to unbelievers?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to what Peter stated in Acts 11, that was also known foreign languages, as in Acts 2.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Sure, I never said otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spontaneous tongue-speaking as Cornelius and his household in Acts 10, right?
I dont belive Peter laid hands on Cornelius. Spontaneous means, it was not taught , forced or coerced like what we commonly see today, unfortunately. A youth paster basically walked by me , put his hand on my shoulder and it began.

Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
According to what Peter stated in Acts 11, that was also known foreign languages, as in Acts 2.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

We don't talk in tongues to one another.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 14:22:

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. [KJV]

22 so that the tongues are for a sign, not to the believing, but to the unbelieving; and the prophesy [is] not for the unbelieving, but for the believing, [YLT]

22 So then, tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is not for unbelievers, but for those who believe. [NASB]

Tongues seem to serve multiple functions:
  • For private prayer.
  • For worship (singing in tongues).
  • For prophecy (when interpreted by someone with the gift of interpretation).
  • As a sign to unbelievers (the topic of this thread).
Question: In what circumstances is it appropriate to speak in an unlearned tongue in front of an unbeliever as a sign to them? And a "sign" of what? Why would an unbeliever be impressed if one speaks in tongues in front of them?

This happens still today as the sweet sweet holy Spirit moves not us. Happens all the time "hey did you know what you just said? "no" you were praising God in my language.". I pray in tongues all the time. Its like this with all the gifts which He gives as He wills yet its all Him not us. If someone hears me praying in tongues.. I NEVER meant that to happen. Hmm some things are meat.. there are times praying for someone just comes out .. praise God. Many times alone I don't know how I should pray I pray in tongues. There are other times you get this burden to pray and keep praying in tongues don't stop.. then out of know where you get this great peace.. you stop praying. Anway.. all praise glory to God.. to Jesus Christ king of kings lord of lord.. YES AMEN!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wondering what Jesus meant?
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16

Upvote 0