When should we use tongues as a sign to unbelievers?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 14:22:

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. [KJV]

22 so that the tongues are for a sign, not to the believing, but to the unbelieving; and the prophesy [is] not for the unbelieving, but for the believing, [YLT]

22 So then, tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is not for unbelievers, but for those who believe. [NASB]

Tongues seem to serve multiple functions:
  • For private prayer.
  • For worship (singing in tongues).
  • For prophecy (when interpreted by someone with the gift of interpretation).
  • As a sign to unbelievers (the topic of this thread).
Question: In what circumstances is it appropriate to speak in an unlearned tongue in front of an unbeliever as a sign to them? And a "sign" of what? Why would an unbeliever be impressed if one speaks in tongues in front of them?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. [KJV]

22 so that the tongues are for a sign, not to the believing, but to the unbelieving; and the prophesy [is] not for the unbelieving, but for the believing, [YLT]

22 So then, tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is not for unbelievers, but for those who believe. [NASB]

• For private prayer.
Question: In what circumstances is it appropriate to speak in an unlearned tongue in front of an unbeliever as a sign to them? And a "sign" of what? Why would an unbeliever be impressed if one speaks in tongues in front of them?

The condition for using 'tongues' in public is always the same.

Only when there is someone who can interpret.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

• For private prayer.
When the Spirit wills

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is it anything to do with the choice of a believe who has been gifted to speak in tongues to withold whatever God wants to bring forth. Not only that, but when an interpretation for that tongue is given is that not going to be a word from God to someone in the meeting? How God will use that tongue and it's interpretation is surely up to Him. Not us!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For example, when He gives you the unction to pray, you pray. Some things don't need to be over complicated.

I mean, do you know any examples of the Holy Spirit prompting someone to speak in tongues with the specific purpose of being a sign to an unbeliever?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Tongues are not understood without interpretation, as per scripture.

I know there are a lot of stories about people supposedly talking in tongues to people in their language, but we don't talk to people in tongues we talk to GOD.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mean, do you know any examples of the Holy Spirit prompting someone to speak in tongues with the specific purpose of being a sign to an unbeliever?
Yes, and the situation can vary greatly, that's why we need to follow the Holy Spirit and not make it a formula of some kind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tongues are not understood without interpretation, as per scripture.

I know there are a lot of stories about people supposedly talking in tongues to people in their language, but we don't talk to people in tongues we talk to GOD.

Then I ask you the same question I asked @topher694, do you know any examples of the Holy Spirit prompting someone to speak in tongues with the specific purpose of being a sign to an unbeliever?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, and the situation can vary greatly, that's why we need to follow the Holy Spirit and not make it a formula of some kind.

And what effect did those tongues have on the unbeliever? Did they convert? Were they impressed?

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How is that a sign? God knows how to speak things, which others won't understand in secret to to who he wishes. so that they will be challenged by what it means to them. God does what He will and has no need to explain Himself to anyone!

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Then I ask you the same question I asked @topher694, do you know any examples of the Holy Spirit prompting someone to speak in tongues with the specific purpose of being a sign to an unbeliever?

I don't think we ever use our gift for that "specific" purpose.

GOD doesn't have me march out in battle speaking in tongues to people in Kroger's just to demonstrate something.

If we would happen to have some unbelievers in our audience when the gifts started operating, then yea, that might be a sign to unbelievers, but otherwise no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mixed results, although many times you just don't know or can't know the impact it leaves.

Do you think interpretation is always required as @ARBITER01 asserts? I've heard stories of situations similar to Acts 2 where people would hear a Christian speak their native tongue and would be impressed, but in those situations there is no intermediate interpreter involved.

Upvote 0