When Satan tempted Jesus, he was trying to get him to doubt, but he was not successful...

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
When Satan tempted Jesus, he was trying to get him to doubt, but he was not successful... Also, trying to get him to abuse his power...

"Turn these stones into loaves of bread..." That was the first, but how did Jesus respond, (paraphrasing) I have no doubt that that would happen, but man must live not on bread alone, but the word of God... Second, "throw yourself of this precipice, for it is written, his angels will save thee... I have no doubt that would happen, but you must not tempt the Lord thy God... Finally, all of these kingdoms I will give thee, fall down and do one act of worship before me, and they will be yours... Again, I have no doubt that would become so, but it is the Lord your God you must worship, and no other...

Satan was trying to get Jesus to doubt, or get him to make a mistake but it was not successful he beat him...

Comments...?

God Bless!

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, Satan was not trying to get Jesus to doubt.

Satan did not dispute who Jesus was. Satan was trying to get Jesus to short-cut His route to King of Kings in an earthly sense by accepting Satan's leadership.

Each of those three temptations appealed to Jesus' human nature in succession: Lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life. Each temptation would have gained Jesus what was prophesied for Him...but in a fleshly manner.

Upvote 0

Slytherina

Marchioness of Heaven
Apr 14, 2017
Canada
✟1,869.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the translation that I've read, Jesus didn't say the word ''doubt'' a single time. How do you prove your translation is correct?

For all I know, He was trying to get Jesus to defy God by turning stones into bread and eating. The second time, Yes, It was doubt, In a way. Cause he wanted Jesus to test God. The third time, Again, He wasn't trying to make him have doubt at all. He simply wanted him to lust for power on the earth.

This isn't about doubt. Satan wasn't tying to prove, That he can do all these things. Both Satan and Jesus knew how it was. He simply wanted Jesus to disobey and to become sinful. He didn't need doubt for that. Jesus turned water into wine - He knew he can turn stones into bread and so did Satan. No one was doubting anything.

You're trying to make it sound as if Satan would walk up to somebody, Somebody who was commanded not to blink for 2 minutes by God and Satan would say: ''If you're a human, Then blink.''

That person would never have any doubt about his ability to blink. Satan is just trying to make him disobey.

Upvote 0

Slytherina

Marchioness of Heaven
Apr 14, 2017
Canada
✟1,869.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
satan gave Jesus the same offer he gave to eve that led to adam's fall.

Jesus passed the test, Adam did not.

No, Eve didn't. There's no proof that Satan led Eve to speak to him. It was Eve who failed the test. Satan didn't say a word to Adam. If he went to Adam first, He wouldn't do it. It's really all about Eve. Only thanks to her it all happened.

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the second temptation, why take Jesus to the top of the temple? If it was only to prove something about Jesus' relationship with God, why not to the top of the Great Pyramid? Or the top of Mount Everest?

Because surrounding the temple every day were scores or hundreds of Jews who were waiting for the Messiah, and expecting the Messiah to be revealed in glory and might. What better way for Jesus to reveal Himself to them than by leaping off the temple in their sight and being born aloft by angels?

Makes total sense. Messiah in one day.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Neogaia777, post: 71138823, member: 294131"]When Satan tempted Jesus, he was trying to get him to doubt, but he was not successful... Also, trying to get him to abuse his power...

"Turn these stones into loaves of bread..." That was the first, but how did Jesus respond, (paraphrasing) I have no doubt that that would happen, but man must live not on bread alone, but the word of God... Second, "throw yourself of this precipice, for it is written, his angels will save thee... I have no doubt that would happen, but you must not tempt the Lord thy God... Finally, all of these kingdoms I will give thee, fall down and do one act of worship before me, and they will be yours... Again, I have no doubt that would become so, but it is the Lord your God you must worship, and no other...

Satan was trying to get Jesus to doubt, or get him to make a mistake but it was not successful he beat him...

Comments...?

God Bless!
[/QUOTE
Yes indeed, satan is still today active and succeeding in getting people to doubt God's Word,
to believe what satan says instead of believing God.

Say, that's exactly what the shining one did in the garden of eden too,
no change in tactics really - "did God say?"
and
then JESUS replies "God says"
but people don't always reply "God says"
instead
people readily say ...
hmmm... what do people say ?!

And thus, there are those who say "God says", with JESUS,
rightly,
and are not fooled by satan
and
there are those (a vast majority) who don't know or trust "God says",
and like Havah(Eve) they are fooled.

They might not doubt God's Word, often, simply because they don't know God's Word;
though sometimes they did know it once, like Havah, (and Adam),
and gave in
to temptation anyway.

God's Word does not change.
God reveals His Word as He Pleases, as He says.

His Word is entirely faithful and true, perfectly trustworthy.
Mankind has fallen, and does not trust His Word.

Whoever turns to JESUS out of mankind, can be saved.
JESUS never turns anyone away who comes to HIM.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, Eve didn't. There's no proof that Satan led Eve to speak to him. It was Eve who failed the test. Satan didn't say a word to Adam. If he went to Adam first, He wouldn't do it. It's really all about Eve. Only thanks to her it all happened.

mankind didn't fall in eve but in adam(romans 5)

adam bent to the will of his wife and through adam's decision mankind died. if adam would have abstained mankind would not have fallen.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When Satan tempted Jesus, he was trying to get him to doubt, but he was not successful... Also, trying to get him to abuse his power...

Comments...?

God Bless!

I believe satan had no idea who He was dealing with.. satan must have believed that Jesus was just a man.. An important man yes, The Messiah. But satan did not know when he was tempting Jesus that he was trying to tempt God in the flesh.. satan did not have a chance to suceed in tempting Jesus.. :D Offering Jesus all the kingdoms of the world was pointless when Jesus could take those Kingdoms at any time :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe satan had no idea who He was dealing with.. satan must have believed that Jesus was just a man.. An important man yes, The Messiah. But satan did not know when he was tempting Jesus that he was trying to tempt God in the flesh.. satan did not have a chance to suceed in tempting Jesus.. :D Offering Jesus all the kingdoms of the world was pointless when Jesus could take those Kingdoms at any time :)

Of course Satan knew who Christ was, which is why Satan could accurately quote scriptures that pointed to Him.

Jesus could only take up the kingdoms of the world as the Father intended He should, and Jesus knew that way was through the cross...Satan's offer was to entice Jesus to take an easy way.

• Agree
Reactions: Grandpa2390
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Of course Satan knew who Christ was, which is why Satan could accurately quote scriptures that pointed to Him.

Jesus could only take up the kingdoms of the world as the Father intended He should, and Jesus knew that way was through the cross...Satan's offer was to entice Jesus to take an easy way.

satan did not know Jesus was God.. satan knew that Jesus was the promised Messiah.. The fact that the Messiah was going to be God was hidden from all until the mission had been successfully completed.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
satan did not know Jesus was God.. satan knew that Jesus was the promised Messiah.. The fact that the Messiah was going to be God was hidden from all until the mission had been successfully completed.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn over all creation.

For everything was created by Him,
in heaven and on earth,
the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions
or rulers or authorities—
all things have been created through Him and for Him.

He is before all things,
and by Him all things hold together.

I think Satan was quite aware of Who created him. He may not have been sure whether being manifest in the flesh placed Jesus under his dominion in some way--and he may have been testing that out--but he knew Who created him.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God allowed the serpent/satan to tempt A&E into disobedience in the Garden of Eden. Mankind disobeyed. God disciplined all!

God allowed the devil/satan to tempt Jesus into disobedience for 40 days/nights , but he remained the sinless Son of God/Son of Man.
Jesus obeyed and was always in the will of the Father.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Satan did not dispute who Jesus was. Satan was trying to get Jesus to short-cut His route to King of Kings in an earthly sense by accepting Satan's leadership.

Each of those three temptations appealed to Jesus' human nature in succession: Lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life. Each temptation would have gained Jesus what was prophesied for Him...but in a fleshly manner.

Yeah. that's true. but it is also trying to get him to doubt God's will. about whether or not God really knows what is best. Satan is not just offering him shortcuts, but he is offering them in a way that says that God is a fool and he is a fool for trusting in God because why would God make him go through this.
God has an inheritance for him, all he has to do is wait. But satan is wanting to place doubt in whether or not he will actually be given the inheritance and tries to convince him that he is entitled, there is no reason why he should have to wait, God is a fool and he should just go and take what is his.

You're the son of God, you shouldn't be hungry. What kind of God would make you starve? etc.
You're the son of God, jump from this tower, land safely, do some big miracle and everyone will know. why would God put you through this...

Satan was offering him alternative ways to get what was already his. but in order to get him to try and take that alternative way, satan was playing on trying to get him to reject God's way but creating doubts about God.

We all face these trials, though not close to the same degree as Jesus did.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I think he was trying "everything" with him, grasping at straws Anything and everything as to what would work to stop him...

God Bless!

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I don't understand why you think that Satan was oblivious to who Jesus was. The demons knew he was. Certainly satan did. and all of his temptations are pointed at Jesus being the Son of God.
If you think it is impossible for satan to have tempted Jesus knowing he was God. Perhaps you are asking why would Satan be that Foolish?
Well Satan, in his pride, having seen God, challenged him directly in Heaven... I think we have seen enough evidence that Satan is a fool, and somehow convinces himself that he can defeat God, but gets proven wrong again and again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, just got thru taking a dip in the sweet Holy Spirit and then you think everythings gonna get real good now, nope lets go straight into temptation, weakness, hunger, thirst and loneliness. Gee who should happen to show up? the accuser of all mankind to hopefully cause you to stumble and fall, because he knows the outcome if you should stay dwelling in your thoughts of how God was so pleased and how God touched you so greatly back there at the watering whole

Satans goal was to get Jesus to = speak against the "truth". Shows the power of your words.

Upvote 0