Midwest
✟155,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When reading the Bible, which I’ve been doing more often lately, is this really God speaking to me? The reason I ask is because some Scripture sounds personal and relatable but then when I read the entire sentence or paragraph it sounds more like I’d originally read it out of context and isn’t relatable.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It’s all about context. Some verses are for specific times and people and others are for all who apply.
Good question by the way. Some people read scripture as if it all applies to everyone and end up misapplying the teaching of said scripture.

Upvote 0

JosephT

Apr 30, 2020
Philadelphia
✟8,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is good as long as when you read, be sure to read in context so that you understand . It is wonderful that you trust the words of our savior. Also remember that the Lord will speak you in non-scriptural ways as well. I find God most frequently speaks to me through other people. Just keep an open ear and an open heart and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask God for wisdom to understand.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It can be both, and it is really important to understand that some may be only applicable to certain people (Jews), in a certain place (Israel) at a certain time....and other parts are applicable at all times to all people. Context really matters a lot, but God can also speak in individual parts, use discernment, prayer, and if something does not square with another part of scripture then use the other scriptures to interpret it.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can be both, and it is really important to understand that some may be only applicable to certain people (Jews), in a certain place (Israel) at a certain time....and other parts are applicable at all times to all people. Context really matters a lot, but God can also speak in individual parts, use discernment, prayer, and if something does not square with another part of scripture then use the other scriptures to interpret it.
It seems to me that all Scripture is meant for certain people.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It seems to me that all Scripture is meant for certain people.
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

This verse is for everyone because of the whosoever.
Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

This verse is for everyone because of the whosoever.
Does that make sense?
Yes, but I was thinking more about all (many?) the “Fear not” and “ Peace be with you” Scriptures. They’re said to other people, not me.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, but I was thinking more about all (many?) the “Fear not” and “ Peace be with you” Scriptures. They’re said to other people, not me.
Yeah I get that I’m the same way. The truth is those scriptures are for you but it’s by faith that we realize those concepts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But how are we to know these Scriptures are for us, today? Source?

2 Timothy 3:16

Someone thought it was worth preserving the very words of God for you to read. I think that makes all of it worth reading. Just don't do it in a vacuum (at least not all the time). If there are parts from which you don't get anything, ask your pastor and/or fellow Christians what they think about the passage. I'm always amazed by what people say.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,585.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's a great question, and I wish more people would think to ask it!

In our day, it's very common to read the Bible as either an instruction manual or as a guide on how to succeed in life or overcome certain issues. The Bible certainly holds the wisdom to help guide and direct us, but it's so much more than that!

All of the Bible is about Jesus Christ. There is a sense in which we can summarise that the Old Testament points forward to Christ, and the New Testament points back to Christ. So, the Bible, for the most part, is not about us directly, but is applied to us through Jesus. That is, instead of flipping up any random page and reading a single verse, then closing the book and go "Hmmmmmm. What does this verse mean to me?" - We are much better off reading entire passages in their natural context, considering their immediate context (what's written before and after the verse or passage) and their broader context (the whole Bible).

Take the example of the resurrection of Lazarus. It's gotten popular to rip a few verses out of context, allegorise it, and then shoestring it together into something like: "God can raise up your dead business" or "God can revive your dream". This is just not what the text is about. The application is much better - it's assurance and comfort in God's grace and the living hope of a new life in Christ. It's about our salvation and resurrection, not merely about our career or vision for the future etc.

As a bit of practical advice, I find the Lutheran Study Bible and the Small Catechism With Explanation super helpful for reading the Bible, and it's something I would recommend to anyone who wants a greater appreciation for how the Bible ought to be read and understood - that is, in a Christological way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums