Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since it began airing in the fall of 1969, Sesame Street has become an indelible part of millions of children's formative years. Using a cast of colorful characters like Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, and Oscar the Grouch, along with a curriculum vetted by Sesame Workshop's child psychologists and other experts, the series is able to impart life lessons and illustrate educational tools that a viewer can use throughout their adolescence. You would be hard-pressed to find anyone—even Oscar—who would take issue with the show’s approach or its mission statement.

When Mississippi Once Banned Sesame Street

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I keep thinking of Nina Simone’s old song Mississippi [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] the whole time I read this. I doubt that CF will let me post the exact title but the song is on YouTube

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since it began airing in the fall of 1969, Sesame Street has become an indelible part of millions of children's formative years. Using a cast of colorful characters like Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, and Oscar the Grouch, along with a curriculum vetted by Sesame Workshop's child psychologists and other experts, the series is able to impart life lessons and illustrate educational tools that a viewer can use throughout their adolescence. You would be hard-pressed to find anyone—even Oscar—who would take issue with the show’s approach or its mission statement.

When Mississippi Once Banned Sesame Street

Just like the Wizard of Oz cast, Sesame Street was chock full of characters with no obvious sexual orientation. I can't imagine what gender would be attracted to Big Bird anyway.
I don't remember any family units at all other than Burt and Ernie living together. The writer claimed Bert was modeled after his own partner.

So I can imagine some people might object.

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

ustv-benerdict-cumberbatch-sesame-street.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Interesting how the article take the modern view of television (people just can not live with out it) and brings it into 1960,70's where back then we had three channels at most, and tv was something that was rarely viewed. We were outside, who cared about tv, not many.

Upvote 0