When is the first resurrection?

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Revelation 20:1-3 talks about Satan being "bound" for a 1000 years...
and then he must be "loosened" for a period specifically NAMED a "Little Season".

Verses 4-6 talks about the SOULS of those "beheaded" for Jesus and for the Gospel
"living and reigning with Christ for a thousand years".... but the rest of the dead lived not
until AFTER the thousand years was finished.

So the question is simple:
WHEN was the "first resurrection" referenced in Rev 20:1-6?

(1) Was the "first resurrection" when the Saints are "born again"?
(2) Was the "first resurrection" when the Saints were "raised/resurrected" with Christ?
(3) Was the "first resurrection" when they "lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years"?
(4) Was the "first resurrection" AFTER the Saints "lived and reigned a thousand years"?
(5) Was the "first resurrection" AFTER Satan is "loosened" for his "Little Season"?

Please provide Scripture to support your opinion.

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

and then he must be "loosened" for a period specifically NAMED a "Little Season".

Verses 4-6 talks about the SOULS of those "beheaded" for Jesus and for the Gospel
"living and reigning with Christ for a thousand years".... but the rest of the dead lived not

(2) Was the "first resurrection" when the Saints were "raised/resurrected" with Christ?
(3) Was the "first resurrection" when they "lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years"?
(4) Was the "first resurrection" AFTER the Saints "lived and reigned a thousand years"?
(5) Was the "first resurrection" AFTER Satan is "loosened" for his "Little Season"?

https://billygraham.org/answer/what-is-the-rapture/

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.
‭‭John‬ ‭6:44‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:28-29‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers, Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭2:1, 3‬ ‭ESV‬‬

"That day" referenced in 2 Thessalonians 2:3 is the "day of the Lord" when we are "gathered to him". Also referred by Jesus as the last day.

Notice in John 5 Jesus says THE resurrection of life. Not one of the resurrections to life, or the first resurrection, but THE resurrection. There is only one.

So the first resurrection happens when Jesus comes back to Earth and establishes the millennial Kingdom. The second resurrection, the resurrection of judgement (John 5:29), happens after the millennial Kingdom.

Blessed and HOLY are those who participated in the FIRST resurrection!

“Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭20:4-6‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Upvote 0

jgr

Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,467.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Ephesians 2:1
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Colossians 2:13
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Last edited:
Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So the first resurrection happens when Jesus comes back to Earth and establishes the millennial Kingdom. The second resurrection, the resurrection of judgement (John 5:29), happens after the millennial Kingdom.

So you do not agree with passages (like Eph 2:1-6) that claim we are "resurrected"
from spiritual death to spiritual life when we are BORN AGAIN and "translated" from death
to life? You do not believe our "new life in Christ" is the first resurrection?

If the first death occurred when Adam rebelled and our SOULS were translated from
spiritual life to spiritual death... then the "first resurrection" would be our SALVATION
which involves our SOULS... not our bodies.

Remember... Revelation 20 is talking about the SOULS under the alter being resurrected
to "live and reign with Christ"... the passage is not talking about bodies... just their SOULS.

Besides that reality...
If we are talking about BODIES and not SOULS....
Then the "first resurrection" would have to have occurred when Jesus rose:

Mat 27:51-53 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to
the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;Mat 27:52 And the graves
were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the
graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The KEY to understanding Rev 20:1-6 is to understand that we are talking about
the resurrection of SOULS UNDER THE ALTER... not their bodies in the graves.

Reactions: tranquil
Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ephesians 2:1
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Colossians 2:13
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

The correct answer!
The "first resurrection" is our SOUL being translated from death to life.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is only 2 resurrections and to deny the literal resurrection of the dead is to deny Jesus himself who did rise from the dead, guaranteeing those who believe in him will do likewise.

1 Corinthians 15

Surely you aren't denying the resurrection. And you certainly cannot be saying Jesus was mistaken.

Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is only 2 resurrections and to deny the literal resurrection of the dead is to deny Jesus himself who did rise from the dead, guaranteeing those who believe in him will do likewise.

1 Corinthians 15

Surely you aren't denying the resurrection. And you certainly cannot be saying Jesus was mistaken.

No... I am not denying the resurrection occurring at the Seventh Trumpet.
And, no, I do not think that Jesus was mistaken... did I communicate so poorly
that you got that impression?

First... before we go any further... you need to deal with the SCRIPTURE I provided you.
I showed you a resurrection [Mat 27:51-53] that occurred when the Lord was raised...
so you need to harmonize that into your theories.

Secondly... before we go any further... you need to deal with the SCRIPTURE I provided
showing a SPIRITUAL RESURRECTION when we are "born again". The Bible has many
references to this "resurrection" of the SOUL while we are still living in this corruptible body.

Long story short... we lost our spiritual life when Adam sinned and we receive our
"resurrected" SOUL when we are "indwelt" by His Spirit and "translated" from death
to life as we are "born again"... but our BODY remains in Satan's Kingdom until we die
and are given incorruptible resurrected bodies at the Seventh Trumpet.

The "first resurrection" saves our SOUL.
The resurrection at the last trump saves our BODY.

-----

To just declare "there are two resurrections" is meaningless. Especially when we have
already seen [Mat 27] a PHYSICAL RESURRECTION when the Lord was raised and we
have already seen [Eph 2] a SPIRITUAL RESURRECTION when we are "born again".

You are (unwittingly) teaching that the resurrection at the Seventh Trumpet
is the THIRD RESURRECTION.

The Biblical understanding of Revelation 20 is within the CONTEXT of seeing SOULS
"living and reigning with Christ" during the period when Satan is "bound". Since the
Biblical understanding of Rev 20 turns on understanding the "first resurrection" then
it's important to know there are MORE THAN TWO resurrections taught in the Bible...
and the "first resurrection" is the resurrection of our SOULS while we are still alive.
We are no longer subject to the "second death".... when we are "born again".

This is the traditional Amillennial doctrine.
The "first resurrection" is the resurrection that SAVES our SOUL.
However, we still live within our corruptible bodies after that regeneration.
Then, the "resurrection" at the Seventh Trumpet SAVES our (incorruptible) BODIES.

Again...
we cannot understand Rev 20 until we can identify WHEN the "first resurrection" occurs.
And the Bible is clear that happens when our SOUL is translated from death to life.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 through 3 are all the same thing, and the correct answer. In other words, already happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LastSeven

Amil
Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there are MORE THAN TWO resurrections taught in the Bible
Although there are more than two resurrections taught in the Bible, there are only two that can apply to the same person. That would be the "first" and the "second" as they are commonly referred to.

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

(3) The "first resurrection" (Revelation 20:5) is when "they lived" (Revelation 20:4) in order to reign with Christ a thousand years.

Revelation 20:4-5... And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

• Winner
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Although there are more than two resurrections taught in the Bible, there are only two that can apply to the same person. That would be the "first" and the "second" as they are commonly referred to.

I find some preach a (first) resurrection at the beginning of Satan's "binding"
and anther (second) resurrection at the end of the 1000 year "binding".

The point of posting was to see whether they understand the resurrection
of the soul is the "first resurrection". And, if not, whether they understand
there has already been a physical resurrection (does that just not count?).

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was the "first resurrection" when the Saints are "born again"?

The first resurrection found in John chapter 5 occurs upon faith in Christ.

Joh 5:24  "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. 

The second resurrection found in John chapter 5 is of the body and occurs at the judgment of the dead by Christ.

Joh 5:27  and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. 

Joh 5:28  Do not marvel at this; for
the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 

Joh 5:29  and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. 

Joh 5:30  I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me. 

The timing of the judgment of the dead in the Book of Revelation is found below.

Rev 11:18  The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come, And the time of the dead, that they should be judged, And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, And those who fear Your name, small and great, And should destroy those who destroy the earth." 

The Book of Revelation is not in chronological order.
It is a series of overlapping visions.
This is why the judgment of the dead is found in both chapter 11 and chapter 20.

It is the same event retold in different language.
The Apostle John recorded both John chapter 5 and Revelation chapter 20.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟105,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What Matthew 27:50-53 does and does not say.

Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

1. It does say “many bodies of the saints which slept arose”.

It does not say all saints which slept arose.

2. It does say they “came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many”

It does not say they returned bodily to heaven with Christ at His ascension.

3. It does say “many bodies of the saints which slept arose”

It does not say they were given (changed) (never to die again) bodies as described in 1 Corin 15

4. It does say “many bodies of the saints which slept arose”

It does not say they did not die again just as the others raised from the dead in scripture:

1. Elijah raised the son of the Zarephath widow from the dead (1 Kings 17:17-22).

2. Elisha raised the son of the Shunammite woman from the dead (2 Kings 4:32-35).

3. A man was raised from the dead when his body touched Elisha’s bones (2 Kings 13:20, 21).

4. Jesus raised the son of the widow of Nain from the dead (Luke 7:11-15).

5. Jesus raised the daughter of Jairus from the dead (Luke 8:41, 42, 49-55).

6. Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead (John 11:1-44).

7. Peter raised Dorcas from the dead (Acts 9:36-41).

8. Eutychus was raised from the dead by Paul (Acts 20:9, 10).

1 Corinthians 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

IMHO Matt. 27:50-53 cannot be a resurrection as described in 1 Corinthians 15, because 15:23 says that will take place at His coming. 1 Corinthians 15 does not allude to those raised in Matthew 27.

No doubt there is a spiritual resurrection at salvation but that is not to be confused with a bodily resurrection at His coming, at the end, at the last day, Daniel 12, 1 Corinthians 15, 1 Thessalonians 4, John 6, Job 19, Revelation 11, Acts 24:15, John 5:24-29, Revelation 20.

Matt 27 is not definitive this my opinion with my reasoning.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The first reasurection happens on the day of the LORD Jesus Christ's return.. this is at the start of the 1000 years.. The Saints will take part in the first reasurection and will rule the kingdoms of earth with Jesus for 1000 years and at the end of the 1000 Years satan will be released from His prison to go out and decieve the nations to cause them to attack Jerusalem and the saints there.. But God will destroy them all with fire and thats when the final reasurection and the day of judgement will happen..

The first reasurection of the Saints has not happened yet..

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But God will destroy them all with fire and thats when the final reasurection and the day of judgement will happen..

When does the fire come?

Paul says that Christ returns "in flaming fire", at His Second Coming found in the passage below.

2Th 1:3  We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other, 
2Th 1:4  so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure, 
2Th 1:5  which is manifest evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you also suffer; 
2Th 1:6  since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, 
2Th 1:7  and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 
2Th 1:8  in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
2Th 1:9  These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 
2Th 1:10  when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed. 

Peter says the fire comes on "the day of the Lord", when He "comes like a thief".
The "coming like a thief" is also found at Revelation 16:15-16.

2Pe 3:10  But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 
2Pe 3:11  Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 
2Pe 3:12  looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 
2Pe 3:13  Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. 

Peter was looking for the New Heavens and the New Earth.

I am looking for the fire to come at His Second Coming, just like Paul and Peter.

When does the fire come in Revelation chapter 20?

Also remember that "the time of the judgment of the dead" is found in Revelation 11:18.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first reasurection happens on the day of the LORD Jesus Christ's return
What do you think is meant by John 5:24, if not resurrection?
Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

Isn't passing from death to life the very definition of resurrection?

Also Romans 6:4
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Does it not say that we were buried with him, and also raised with him into a new life? So if we consider Jesus resurrected for those reasons, then how can we not consider ourselves resurrected for the same reasons?

And Romans 6:13
Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life...

Is Paul not literally saying that we have been brought from death to life? Is that not resurrection?

And Ephesians 2:4-6
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus

If we were dead, but raised up with Christ, then to say we were not resurrected with Christ is to say that Christ himself was not resurrected.

Thankfully we were resurrected with Christ, which is why we can say we have new life in him, and for this reason we do not have to fear the second death, and isn't that exactly the promise given to those who take part in the first resurrection?

Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0