1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When is lying not sinful?

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by ByTheSpirit, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    18 "Just as damaging as a madman shooting a deadly weapon
    19 is someone who lies to a friend and then says, “I was only joking.”
    20 Fire goes out without wood, and quarrels disappear when gossip stops.
    21 A quarrelsome person starts fights as easily as hot embers"
    (Proverbs 26:18-21) (NLT).

2. Bible Highlighter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Sometimes you gotta just let that Greek go, man; And just read the Word of God plainly in a language you do undertand.

I have no problem with the explanation. It is clear, Jesus did not simply agree to go with them publically instead of privately. Jesus also did not technically attend the festival because he was watching in secret. Think about it.

3. ByTheSpirit

ByTheSpirit Pray always!!

+3,505
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't think this is the same as playing around with family and friends.

4. 4x4toy

4x4toy Newbie Supporter

+1,742
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Abram told Sarai to say she was his sister, the concept seemed strange to her at first imo but she agreed . We have the same father but not the same mother which I could say of my own wife spiritually speaking and be deceptive but not lying in a spiritual way, Jesus said ''who are my mother and brothers'' kind of way, I know it's a reach on my part so forgive me for now

5. Dan61861

Dan61861 7 days without God, makes one weak.

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree, it would still be a lie. I was being deceptive. Yours would be a lie as well, you are being deceptive. But I never said it wasn't a lie, I said it wasn't sin. Just as your answer would not be sin. Love covers a multitude of sins.

In Christ
    Daniel

6. Apex

Apex Radical Centrist & Ethicist

+398
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That is impossible at this point. It is what I went to school for. I'm hoping to read the Greek NT and the Greek LXX without help one day. It's not as hard as you'd think once you memorize the Greek alphabet and the top 200 most commonly used Greek words in the Bible. Well....grammar is hard. Sometimes you just have to flex those thinking muscles.

7. 4x4toy

4x4toy Newbie Supporter

+1,742
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Another interesting point ''love covers a multitude of sins'' .. Love from the the one being sinned against or the one sinning or both ?

8. AlexDTX

AlexDTX Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,749
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I am still trying to understand discretion since I tend to bluntly say what I mean. I think lying is still a willful deception.

9. Bible Highlighter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes, it is a more intense thing happening in that case and scenario.
    But the underlying truth is there.
    If somebody is offended, the jokester will reply, "I was only joking"
    I think it is important that our words are always truthful and never filled with any kind of lies, even in jesting or playing around. Remember, in Christ's mouth there was no deceit (1 Peter 2:22).

10. Apex

Apex Radical Centrist & Ethicist

+398
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So, if the text did mentioned Terah's daughters, you'd be okay with Abraham marrying his half-sister?

11. Bible Highlighter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    If one sins themselves, and they are also being loving, they still need to repent of their sin. A person's own love does not undo their other evil. That would be like a serial killer who is kind and caring with his victims in other ways by feeding them really good food and rubbing their feet with massage oil, etc. It would not matter because he was going to still kill them. His love in other areas do not count. Ezekiel 18:24 comes to mind.

12. Bible Highlighter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    During that time, the genetic code was stronger (untainted yet by sin). Also, God did not place any prohibitions on marrying those who are close of kin during these early years until the written Law. For how do you think the world populated from Adam and then yet again with Noah?

13. ByTheSpirit

ByTheSpirit Pray always!!

+3,505
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't know, perhaps there is room to use discernment and know who you are dealing with. I know personally a joke aimed at myself is almost always a welcome relief from the stresses of life. I always welcome an opportunity to have a laugh. But not everyone is that way sure.

I guess I can't make fart noises anymore and blame it on others then... :(

14. Bible Highlighter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I joke around a lot with my wife and we laugh and it does not involve deception.
    Granted, I am not perfect sometimes and I do slip up on occasion.
    But I strive to always be truthful in my words, even while joking around.

15. 4x4toy

4x4toy Newbie Supporter

+1,742
    Non-Denom
    Married
    We operate according to our own understanding .. I saw a poor man with kids walk in to a turkey shoot years ago everyone knew, we'll call him Chunk ,when the first round was done the judge took the cards and was saying ''I'm not sure, it's pretty close between Chunk and Dave , nah I think Chunk is closer , Chunks the winner .. Everyone kinda knew the judge had cheated for Chunk and everyone was in agreement , cheating and lying for Chunk ..

16. Bible Highlighter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Lying is saying words that are not true.
    But lying is NOT doing something deceptive like say hiding behind a tree or doing something bodily so as to make somebody to think something else.

If such was not the case, then Jesus would have lied in your view.
    For Jesus physically hid the truth that He was God to various people.
    Jesus did not use the full weight and power as God while He was on the Earth.
    He did not float around all the time and destroy His enemies by crushing them with His hand from far away. Philippians says he became like a servant and was obedient unto death.
    He did this so as to be our substitute so as to save us (as you know).

17. 4x4toy

4x4toy Newbie Supporter

+1,742
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'll cross that bridge when I get to it but I'll cross it based on scripture and not what everyone else thinks

18. Bible Highlighter

+7,566
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    But I can't say Jesus would do that. It would have technically been a lie.
    Think.
    WWJD.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  19. ChristianFromKazakhstan

ChristianFromKazakhstan Well-Known Member

+567
    Christian
    Private
    Rahab the prostitute is an example of super great Faith in God

She lied.

So lying is OK

20. 4x4toy

4x4toy Newbie Supporter

+1,742
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Ha, I agree, did Davids slings shot have any guidance from on high again I don't know, David put in some good practice ..