Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe that it is ever "acceptable." However, since we have strayed so far into violence around the world, it is to be "anticipated."

What does it take for the world to get off of this "war" footing?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If violence is the only way to control a situation ( such as self-defense) then OK but violence should NEVER be the first plan of action.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd look at Jesus to determine what is acceptable. From what I see, it looks like only a very mild form is acceptable, and that's when cleansing the house of God from them that pollute it, and doesn't actually seem to be directed toward anyone. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to cite that as "violence" so, never, would be my proposition.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
"Violence" is required and acceptable when all other means of controlling an already or immanently violent situation are ineffective. As dogs4thewin said, violence should never be the first (choice) plan of action.

"Hurting you is the last thing on my list.

But it IS on the list."

- - Anonymous

• Agree
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi

My question is when is it acceptable to use violence ? for example if a ethnic/religious group or nation is being oppressed
The only thing that is acceptable (in the Spirit) is faith expressing itself through Love, anything else is a sin.
That said, Paul points out that Love always protects which implies resistence against evil for the benefit of the Loved one.
So an action that violates the one that wills evil against another may therefore be in the Spirit of Christ.
Certainly He himself will act in this way against the enemies of God when He returns.

• Agree
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me violence is only acceptable when you have no choice. Like a man breaks into your house with a gun and points it at you. Or if by some chance christians became "illegal" in the USA and we would be rounded up and thrown in prison. Then violence may be ok to do, though I don't think I would do it really.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only reason we are able to live peaceful lives is because there are police who are authorized to use physical force to ensure the law is obeyed. On a larger scale, this applies to the military as well.

For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4 NIV

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums