Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I posted this on another forum, and thought it might be more appropriate to post it here:

I don't know how to write what's on my heart.

I have real issues with the Church. This is a struggle for me, as I really don't like the conduct of those within the Church, and in this I speak to two separate issues:

There is a "herd" mentality in the Church, but not towards things that are necessarily Biblical. I once attended a Calvary Chapel, and the Pastor had a lot of opinions in areas that fell on issues outside of the Bible. Example: he would sometimes pontificate about a specific politician, and the issues that that politician championed. I didn't like the politician, nor was I zealous to pursue the goals of this politician. I likewise didn't care for several news sites that this Pastor used for source material. Again, many of the issues discussed involved world affairs, etc., that fell into "gray" areas.

All that said: the Pastor is free to champion whatever issues he wants (so long as they don't run contrary to Scripture). The issue, however, wasn't so much that the Pastor championed certain issues; the problem is that *I did not agree* with the issues that he championed. I was not disruptive in disagreeing, nor was I disrespectful when I expressed my disagreement. But if you asked me "NDL, how do you feel about such and such," I will tell you. And when you run afoul of the established pattern, people disfellowship themselves with you.

Again, I am not talking about anything Scriptural. Calvary Chapels tend to spend a lot of time analyzing world events, and they often comment to boot. And they are free to do so. The issue I have, is that I am not free to disagree - and I am not talking about disagreeing in a disruptive way, or causing factions or divisions - for to do that is wrong. I am simply saying that in many gray areas, the very act of *not being on board* is a problem; the herd will not allow individual thought. You *will* be excluded. Again, to be clear, I have been disenfranchised over silly issues. I am not a calvanist, but I am do love the work of John MacArthur. I once had a Pastor have a problem with me, as I didn't share in his zeal against calvinism (as much as I told him that I wasn't a calvinist). Fill in the blank. Pick an issue. Pre trib? Post trib? Dividing over such matters is silly. But...you'd *better* agree; you'd better be a part of the herd! If not, you will be excluded from social events, etc. You'll find yourself outside of the "inner circle."

The second issue I have revolves around 1 Cor 5:11:

"But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person."

Okay. Let's be honest: everyone has their good days and their bad days. I am not speaking of public sin, or gross immorality. I am not a carnal believer. But I do have my struggles, and I do have my good and bad days (Pro 27:16). I wish that it were not so, and I do try to yield myself to the Spirit, in obedience to the Scriptures. But sometimes I trip up.

Ideally, a believer is to be treated with grace and charity. Scripture commands us to bear one another's burdens (Gal 6:2), and I wish that this were so.

But it's not.

Someone filled with spiritual pride is marked by certain behaviors (Is 65:5, and Luke 18:11-12). I do not think that the people of whom I speak are filled with pride, but I do think that they are somehow thinking themselves obedient to 1 Cor 5:11. But what happened to bearing another's burdens?

Again. I am not speaking to gross sin or public immorality, but if we're honest, we all have good days and bad days. And sometimes, you might come into the company of a Brother or Sister, who might detect that you had a bad day (or so). And then comes the distancing of one's self.

On again off again. "Draw near to me; go away from me." "Are you in with the herd, or do you color outside the lines?"

Please don't read into this more than what i've said; I have tried to be as transparent as possible.

My Wife & I have been married 17 years, and have a great relationship. I likewise have good relationships with our Parents. I have had a good working relationship with my employers.

But with the church I am disgusted. I am weary of the silliness, and the lack of grace and forbearance. No one is perfect; we all have our bad and good days. We all have liberty of thought regarding topics outside of Scripture (Romans 14). The only reason I have been going to church is out of obedience (Heb 3:13; Luke 19:12-22). I had a couple of great friends in the Lord when I lived in NY (men who were disciples, and abounded in love, grace, and charity); it's been 5 years since we've moved to NC, and I have no real relationships within the church. If I could, I would never go to church again.

I do not understand why people in the church behave in the above ways. No matter what church you go to, it's all the same. And I am weary of going through the motions. It's very silly and shallow. If not for Hebrews 3:13, I would keep to myself and study (which I do almost daily).

Thanks for your time, and God bless

So here's the thing.

Personally, I'm in a church where I do plan to leave for the similar reason you're leaving, because essentially parts of the service is pretty unbiblical, and in my conscious I can't stay. Difference between the time I decided this and now, was my heart towards the idea of a church assembly. It became very easy to criticize that ALL church assemblies are the same, because everyone is not this or not that. God called me out, and such and such, and I can just find a couple of people and I'll be better off. And that may be so. But I would warn you to be careful of how you perceive the assembly. For if your isolation of the church, is due to things beyond just because its unbiblical, if it is causing you to be bitter towards people, then you wouldn't be more in the right than if you have stayed.

For me, no set size of assembly is right or wrong, each have their own problems, whether its only 2-3 or 3,000. For you it probably is better to be among a more intimate setting, but for another, they may need that type of resource and accessibility that a bigger church is able to bring. For the bigger assemblies, Paul established some sort of structure so that there is some order and the church is edified. Being in a small group may be in seasons, it might happen for a longer time. But what would be more of a concern is spiritual bitterness, that somehow whatever decision you make is a valid case to curse out the people who choose to stick to a different route than yours. It is not.

Im sorry that your church experience have left you discouraged and disgusted, but let that not make you bitter towards those who are running the same race as you. Even if you do separated yourself, remember those who have actually done you well, for I doubt you stayed because everyone was horrible to you. And pray for them, and keep in touch with them. At the end of the day, no matter how disobedient you feel they are, they are still part of the body of Christ, they are still your brothers and sisters.

Be encouraged.

Upvote 0

Papa DSNM

Jan 6, 2018
Philadelphia PA
✟10,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I posted this on another forum, and thought it might be more appropriate to post it here:

I don't know how to write what's on my heart.

I have real issues with the Church. This is a struggle for me, as I really don't like the conduct of those within the Church, and in this I speak to two separate issues:

There is a "herd" mentality in the Church, but not towards things that are necessarily Biblical. I once attended a Calvary Chapel, and the Pastor had a lot of opinions in areas that fell on issues outside of the Bible. Example: he would sometimes pontificate about a specific politician, and the issues that that politician championed. I didn't like the politician, nor was I zealous to pursue the goals of this politician. I likewise didn't care for several news sites that this Pastor used for source material. Again, many of the issues discussed involved world affairs, etc., that fell into "gray" areas.

All that said: the Pastor is free to champion whatever issues he wants (so long as they don't run contrary to Scripture). The issue, however, wasn't so much that the Pastor championed certain issues; the problem is that *I did not agree* with the issues that he championed. I was not disruptive in disagreeing, nor was I disrespectful when I expressed my disagreement. But if you asked me "NDL, how do you feel about such and such," I will tell you. And when you run afoul of the established pattern, people disfellowship themselves with you.

Again, I am not talking about anything Scriptural. Calvary Chapels tend to spend a lot of time analyzing world events, and they often comment to boot. And they are free to do so. The issue I have, is that I am not free to disagree - and I am not talking about disagreeing in a disruptive way, or causing factions or divisions - for to do that is wrong. I am simply saying that in many gray areas, the very act of *not being on board* is a problem; the herd will not allow individual thought. You *will* be excluded. Again, to be clear, I have been disenfranchised over silly issues. I am not a calvanist, but I am do love the work of John MacArthur. I once had a Pastor have a problem with me, as I didn't share in his zeal against calvinism (as much as I told him that I wasn't a calvinist). Fill in the blank. Pick an issue. Pre trib? Post trib? Dividing over such matters is silly. But...you'd *better* agree; you'd better be a part of the herd! If not, you will be excluded from social events, etc. You'll find yourself outside of the "inner circle."

The second issue I have revolves around 1 Cor 5:11:

"But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person."

Okay. Let's be honest: everyone has their good days and their bad days. I am not speaking of public sin, or gross immorality. I am not a carnal believer. But I do have my struggles, and I do have my good and bad days (Pro 27:16). I wish that it were not so, and I do try to yield myself to the Spirit, in obedience to the Scriptures. But sometimes I trip up.

Ideally, a believer is to be treated with grace and charity. Scripture commands us to bear one another's burdens (Gal 6:2), and I wish that this were so.

But it's not.

Someone filled with spiritual pride is marked by certain behaviors (Is 65:5, and Luke 18:11-12). I do not think that the people of whom I speak are filled with pride, but I do think that they are somehow thinking themselves obedient to 1 Cor 5:11. But what happened to bearing another's burdens?

Again. I am not speaking to gross sin or public immorality, but if we're honest, we all have good days and bad days. And sometimes, you might come into the company of a Brother or Sister, who might detect that you had a bad day (or so). And then comes the distancing of one's self.

On again off again. "Draw near to me; go away from me." "Are you in with the herd, or do you color outside the lines?"

Please don't read into this more than what i've said; I have tried to be as transparent as possible.

My Wife & I have been married 17 years, and have a great relationship. I likewise have good relationships with our Parents. I have had a good working relationship with my employers.

But with the church I am disgusted. I am weary of the silliness, and the lack of grace and forbearance. No one is perfect; we all have our bad and good days. We all have liberty of thought regarding topics outside of Scripture (Romans 14). The only reason I have been going to church is out of obedience (Heb 3:13; Luke 19:12-22). I had a couple of great friends in the Lord when I lived in NY (men who were disciples, and abounded in love, grace, and charity); it's been 5 years since we've moved to NC, and I have no real relationships within the church. If I could, I would never go to church again.

I do not understand why people in the church behave in the above ways. No matter what church you go to, it's all the same. And I am weary of going through the motions. It's very silly and shallow. If not for Hebrews 3:13, I would keep to myself and study (which I do almost daily).

Thanks for your time, and God bless

Hello There:
You are absolutely right and I agree with you about having good days and bad days. All of us do if we are honest with ourselves. We do fall short many times as Paul stated. But Paul in what he was stating at 1 Co 5:11 was not just talking about casually falling short as we often do. If you examine the context you will see that he was talking about Christians who practice wickedness. As you probably know wickedness is a more serious situation than mere "slip-ups" or weakness. A Christian who refuses to stop serious sinning should be removed from the congregation as a warning to other Christians and to safeguard the cleanliness of it. It is a command that not many religions practice, but it is based on scriptural precedent. I will be glad to share more with you on this if your mind and heart are open to it.

Upvote 0

NDL

Sep 2, 2004
NYC Metro
Visit site
✟11,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But I would warn you to be careful of how you perceive the assembly. For if your isolation of the church, is due to things beyond just because its unbiblical, if it is causing you to be bitter towards people, then you wouldn't be more in the right than if you have stayed.

First, I want to thank you for your time. Second, I thank you for your admonition; it's something I have to consider.

As I write this, I don't think that I am bitter. I did ask a Pastor who Pastored my Wife & I what he thought about all of this, and he did not see me as jaded (though he could not prescribe a solution to my dilemma; I say this as a statement of fact - not to accuse him. He was a good man, but my Wife & I have since relocated several hundred miles away from the church that he Pastored).

For you it probably is better to be among a more intimate setting, but for another, they may need that type of resource and accessibility that a bigger church is able to bring.

A great point; this is something that I have been pondering recently.

But what would be more of a concern is spiritual bitterness, that somehow whatever decision you make is a valid case to curse out the people who choose to stick to a different route than yours. It is not.

I wouldn't say that necessarily; I am just really weary of certain attitudes that prevent relationships from growing.

There are a lot of folks who operate on their intellect, without having humility and self reflection to counter their knowledge. When you recognize your own depravity, when you realize your own failings as a human being, you tend to approach others with grace. Conversely, when you operate on your intellect, you're often an unapproachable person who's obnoxious.

Outside of necessary objectivity, pride can dog the Apostle Peter for his failings in a hundred different ways. You cannot have a genuine relationship with someone that has no empathy or understanding of the human condition. As humans, though we ought not do certain things, there is going to come a time when we might stumble, or lose our temper, etc.

I can comment on Peter's foibles to a degree, but I can not sit in judgment of him. I too, behave stupidly at times, and if I were in Peter's shoes, I might have reacted the exact same way.

I can remember the first time when I thoroughly read through Nehemiah; wow...a guy with human emotions - just like me (Neh 2:2)!

Im sorry that your church experience have left you discouraged and disgusted, but let that not make you bitter towards those who are running the same race as you. Even if you do separated yourself, remember those who have actually done you well, for I doubt you stayed because everyone was horrible to you. And pray for them, and keep in touch with them. At the end of the day, no matter how disobedient you feel they are, they are still part of the body of Christ, they are still your brothers and sisters.

It's been hard. I have a few friends from my old home in NY, and they miss my absence as much as I miss theirs. In other words, the things that I am experiencing they are experiencing as well - be it hard heartedness, or a lack of grace - or a lack of hospitality. People are too busy to make time to build real relationships. Yet on Sunday, it's all show: "peace and be filled dear Brother, etc."

Maybe mine is a bad run. I moved to a new State, thinking that would be easy to find a church. It has not been as easy as I initially thought. Thankfully, we found an area where there appear to be a few good churches. For the past few weeks we started attending a church with some promise (the leadership purposes to do the right things - and I cannot fault the leadership, when they deliberately purpose to do that which is Biblical, even if their execution isn't perfect - because no one is perfect).

Again, I thank you for your time, and will take heed to what you've written.

Upvote 0

pilgrimage

going home
Mar 22, 2006
✟7,686.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thank you for your time, and agree with everything that you've written. Speaking to Luke 19:11-12, I know that the pharisee wasn't saved, but even saved people can behave as pharisees do, if they are operating in the flesh. And because we live in a fast paced world, few meditate on the Scriptures, nor are they introspective. And without introspection, without the true knowledge of what Christ has done in and through us (as believers), we're left to operate in the flesh. People that operate in the flesh lack grace, thus they seek to exclude people from their company on the basis of their faults.

Remember, from the heart comes evil surmising (1 Tim 6:4). A mature believer will take the time to discern what's going on in the life of his brother or sister; the person operating in the flesh accuses and divides. A mature disciple in the spirit will look to grow his brother/sister; a person operating in the flesh says a bunch of sweet words, but won't offer up a minute of his time. A mature believer might see a fault in his brother, discern if his brother wants to make a change in his life, and offer guidance and help to him; he treats his brother with understanding.

If you're a person that has a herd mentality, a lot will be forgiven you; a lot will be ignored. But if you're a person who colors outside the lines, your faults will be amplified. (Coloring outside the lines might consist of gray areas like who you vote for, whether or not you wear fancy duds to church, etc.)

When I was a young believer, I once judged a man for his spotty church attendance. Inconsistent church attendance was his fruit, and I was operating on the basis of how I was taught.

Then one day, I learned that the man was an over the road truck driver. That taught me a lesson that I never forgot.

I hope that my reply doesn't come across as having shot from both barrels. I am grateful for your time, and I took note of how you approached me - with grace and wisdom.
That's very good advise.

• Agree
Reactions: NDL
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church we have today is certainly not like the first church that we read about in the Bible.

It took me a long time to realize this, but with God’s help, He shown me why I stopped going to the church I grew up in. At the time, I didn’t understand the full reason except that there was “something wrong” within that church. Something that just wasn’t adding up and years later He told me why. The love of many had waxed cold.

I’ve had similar experiences like this throughout my life that something just felt… off.

During my journey with God, He’s pulled me away from certain churches, heck He’s even tested me with two certain ones, and I realized that I can’t search for one on my own. I needed His help because He sees all and knows all. Who better to ask than Him? I know He wants us to come together as a church - His churchbride. It’s not just about Him and myself in a relationship but with the community as well. God eventually ushered myself and my dad to a new church that does indeed deliver the message.

But it’s also difficult today for churches because many who are seeking - where do they go to learn? Church. However, sometimes this doesn’t work and we have to invite those who seek God rather than push them away. God does not want any to perish and yet many will. Many walk the wide path to destruction and few find the narrow path to Truth and Life Whom is Christ.

As for the puffiness of knowledge, this is exactly why I didn’t like “Christians”. They were so uninviting and cold and distant rather than Jesus. They acted the complete opposite of Christ Who invited those to follow Him who would hear. This is exactly why I didn’t want to even be associated with those “christians” because I didn’t want to be like them, the spirit of Pharisees. My error in this way of thinking was my following. I didn’t realize I was following only what people of the world were saying rather than relying solely and fully dependant on God’s ways. His ways are much higher than ours - and thank God for that!

I also experience the “pride” in knowledge of what God says in the Bible and I hate it when my flesh wants to pervert that into something to look down on others with. I’ve experienced it a lot and it’s why I can’t participate on these forums much anymore. I know how I ought to be and yet I can’t seem to do them…. Matthew 26:41 & Romans 7:14-25

Sorry this is so long... I just want to follow Christ and have a passion for Him, for the covenant He has given us by His grace, faith and belief (in Jesus Christ). There is truly nothing we can do apart from Him.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, I didn't take anything you said as harsh or arrogant.

I do feel stuck, but I'm only as stuck as I want to be. I know this. I suppose I have forgotten His message to me in a dream earlier this month. Perhaps there is more in that message than what He previously wanted me to see, if that makes sense.

I have to agree with you on our poor quality, however. If you think about how Paul was Sol (I think that's the spelling?), persecuting and pretty much hunting Christians, Jesus came as a blinding light to him and asked him very humbly "Sol, Sol, why do you persecute Me?" Even Jesus had shown mercy and compassion for someone who was previously against Him! How utterly Amazing! Do a lot of us behave in this way? No. But if we just let Him in, He can do this through us! ^_^

Sorry, getting a bit off track.

My point is (and for those like myself who was just lurk-reading) that Sol whom became Paul was educated for 3 years, I think. Is the church today educated like Paul was then? Absolutely not. However, there are people out there like the church back then. We're just scattered ever since Christ's death - our Shepard - and yet brought back together through His grace. Like your best friend, Peter, for example.

I really hope all this makes sense as I do have a hard time trying to convey what is in my heart and what I see. Thanks for the encouragement, brother/sister.
:angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swan7

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh gosh no, lol! We all have our challenges. ^_^ Even Paul had his thorn in his side. Even Jesus prayed that the "cup" to be passed from Him. Heck, most of the prophets of God had their moments of pure struggle.
Ahhh, yes. I have SO been there! I'm willing to give an ear for those who say "hey, this isn't right." if they're being respectful and not outright being disrespectful. I only care what God says about His Word and also His churchbride - the congregation - spiritual Israel. Not just them, but those that have ears to hear.

:runcry: Thank you! I think I'm actually feeling less stuck due to this conversation. Perhaps this is God saying to me: take it slow, but keep pressing forward.

Spoken very true and also a reflection of how I feel as well. Before I came back to God I used to think that I had to DO something to get His approval, love and belonging. I was lied to for years with this thinking! I just wish I went face to face with God a long time ago, but, I can't linger in this thought because otherwise it's no different than being Lot's wife. She didn't want to press forward and looked back. I don't want to look back save only the things God has done in my life. :) I think this is part of the reason why God allows me to only look back for those things He's done, to keep me from being spiritually prideful.

I don't mean to counsel, but merely share my experiences with you and hope they resonate with you. If I am counseling then I believe God is allowing it through His child to another - just as He said we should be uplifting one another.

Thanks again for reading! This thread is certainly a good one!

Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0

MarleneJ

Aug 16, 2016
British Columbia
✟18,935.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Then, there is the question of moving churches too often, and for what reason. I'm speaking of myself.

We had to move churches about 6 years ago, because the pastor just went totally off track. In fact, almost everyone in the church left. We later decided, many of us still being close friends, that the pastor should have left, not all of us. Well, water under the bridge.

So, we found a "better" church, and got involved. Then, we sold our house and moved 500 miles away. We looked around, found a church that was an excellent fit. After about 6 months, the pastor, who was an excellent preacher, pastor and teacher, had to take a long break, because of illness, which we later found out was depression from the stresses of his job. After a year, he resigned, and the church searched for a new pastor. They called someone, presented him as being ordained by our denomination and believing everything that was in our statement of faith. I sensed something wrong, but went along like a sheep.

In conversations with the new pastor, he told me that he did NOT believe the statement of faith, and had gone in a "different" direction. Unbiblical! Now, he is an excellent leader. He has really straightened out the church after a long period without leadership. But, his preaching is always just a big "off." Not in a big way, he uses the bible, but rather than exegete the passage, he uses it as a jumping off point to go in the direction he wants. Call it eisegesis!

My problem is that the church is a biblical church, the long time members are really walking with Christ. My husband has really fit in more than any other church we have attended. But, I dread Sunday mornings, which I used to love. I do believe the elders have pulled the new pastor back a bit, but not enough for me. (Seminary educated, and maybe too fussy about doctrine?)

Can we be too fussy about doctrine? And is it believing doctrine that matters, or living it? Is skirting around the edges of the Bible a reason to leave a church, when everything else is ok?

Now, I have not seen anything happening revolving around the OP's 1 Cor. 5:11 verse. Nothing that gross or blatantly immoral. So, when do we draw the line? When should we leave a church, and how many times should we jump ship? And for what? Or only because God really tells us to move on?

I feel like I have languished in churches for too long, staying because I didn't want to look like I was a church jumper, when my needs, values and especially doctrines had totally changed, or the church changed. And being a couple, I do have to consider where my husband will be happy.

Not sure it this is what the OP is talking, but it really stuck a nerve in my life! Thanks for posting this!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I(Deleted at OP's request).
I would not need to, he saw it coming in 2 Thessalonians 2. They all saw it coming, btw. See 2 Peter 2, Jude 1, 1 John 4 etc.

The fact is that there was a perfect church, but only in the beginning when it was created by those who "worshipped what they knew" (John 4:22, Matthew 18:20, John 12:35). What we have now is the result of a major falling away, where there is no longer a disciple on earth who has all the 100% correct perspective on all matters of truth - it is necessary that every Christian is touched by false doctrines, and to be 100% correct, we need to be purified and refined (Consider Malachi 3:1-6).

False doctrines lend the person to represent deceiving spirits rather than The Holy Spirit when they speak of matters (see 1 Timothy 4:1, also consider Proverbs 18:21 as it relates to Genesis 2:17 and Hosea 4:6 - the whole problem of the fall being reflected in Exodus 20:7 - coveting and misusing God's name for one's vanity).

For this reason, the representation of The Holy Spirit in churches is limited and He is not fully represented in all the time that is devoted toward that purpose. This is not known to the majority of Christians, so even the pastors themselves fall into deception to think that they are 100% representing The Holy Spirit - afterall, they have the position that such authority belongs and have been elected to believe that it is granted to them (consider John 5:41-44).

For this reason, we all must recognise that we must test all things .. although the greater majority (ie: the non-elect) will never do this, instead they remain enslaved to their passions, unable to overcome the world in such way that if they suspect that something is a bit off, they will ultimately concede to belong with the church than to be an opposer at the risk of being outcast.

The greatest problem I see is that churches do not really implement Romans 12:2 and Revelation 18:4, in such way falling on the opposing side when judged by Matthew 6:24. This is because their spiritual food is not exclusively of the origin of The Holy Spirit. Media presents them with spiritual food by way of music, movies, games etc, which all cause their minds to be formed in a manner of thinking that is sinful, demonic, worldly. Accordingly they see success in a worldly way (Ecclesiastes 8:1, Mark 10:42-44) and they then create the church according to that pattern. They have long lost the knowledge of how to operate according to God's ways (Matthew 5:38-48).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Swan7 and NDL
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Deleted at OP's request).
Ahhh, I see. Well, it is important that we remain sanctified in The Holy Spirit. Remember what is written in Galatians 6:1 "you who are spiritual should correct him" .. meaning to say that there are so-called Christians who are not spiritual. If judgement comes from them who are carnal, it is demonic judgement. Yet we who perceive spiritual things (1 Corinthians 2:14), we recognise when someone is not walking in the light - their earthly nature writhes in our presence (James 3:15, John 3:20).

As for what you are saying about practically supporting the weaker brethren while also maintaining it's integrity, keep in mind that judgement comes through first being taught, then subsequently receiving conviction (consider John 15:22, John 16:8). Titus 3:10 shows that we are not to allow the fallen to subdue the righteous, but rather to maintain the strength of the brethren by purging the wicked from it's midst (Proverbs 10:30). There is a proper procedure for this too, described in Matthew 18:15-17. In this way the scriptures of Isaiah 6 and Daniel 12:3 find application to exaggerate the elect from those who take the broad road, and as the fruits are manifest through the refining and strengthening of the proper nation (Matthew 21:43, John 13:35, Jeremiah 15:19), it will draw them to approach in proper manner (contrition) that they, too, may receive the life that is in Christ, the true vine (John 5:39-40, John 4:14).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think Paul was talking about public offenses that the Church can't ignore without becoming hypocritical. I belong to a very liberal congregation. We're not known for discipline. But a few times things happened that we couldn't ignore. We didn't ban contact with the people involved, but they ended up leaving the church rather than face the problem, and thus the membership as a whole had little contact with them.

There are few examples in Paul's letters of actually carrying that out. The one I can think of was for what he considered a gross sexual offense. He acknowledged that he was a sinner himself, and certainly didn't expect others to be without sin. He also counseled toleration of differences in belief. But there are times when you can't ignore something.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OP, just as I am thinking more about this, I have thought that I should offer you to read this booklet that I print, in case there is something in there that The Lord will use to teach you further :)

www.adonai-reigns.life/booklets/the-gospel

Upvote 0