Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
He just finished saying that “anyone who does not abide in Me will be cast away to wither and cast into the fire to be burned”. These who didn’t remain in Christ were also given by The Father.
Do these two passages bear witness to one another?
Hebrews 6:
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift,
and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves
the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those
by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God;
8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.

1 Corinthians 3:
Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones,
wood, hay, straw,
13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it
will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is.
14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.
15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved,
yet so as through fire.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Peoples? What translation are you quoting this from?
Wow! I never noticed that the NKJV translated that way. I normally use that translation for
posting. LOL. Reminds me of an old children's rhyme, with hand motions:
"Here's the church, here's the steeple,
open the door, and here are the people".

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do these two passages bear witness to one another?
Hebrews 6:
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift,
and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves
the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those
by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God;
8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.

1 Corinthians 3:
Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones,
wood, hay, straw,
13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it
will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is.
14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.
15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved,
yet so as through fire.

No, these are completely different teachings. In Hebrews the author is addressing those who have turned away from Christ. 1 Corinthians 3 Paul is referring only to those who are building on the foundation of Christ. The one who builds with good materials or with bad materials will still be saved. What this represents is those who are working for Christ will receive rewards in heaven according to their deeds but if they fail in their efforts they won’t receive the reward but they will still be saved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow! I never noticed that the NKJV translated that way. I normally use that translation for
posting. LOL. Reminds me of an old children's rhyme, with hand motions:
"Here's the church, here's the steeple,
open the door, and here are the people".

Im sorry but that version has been edited to support reformed theology. It should read “I will draw all men to Myself”.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No, these are completely different teachings. In Hebrews the author is addressing those who have turned away from Christ. 1 Corinthians 3 Paul is referring only to those who are building on the foundation of Christ. The one who builds with good materials or with bad materials will still be saved. What this represents is those who are working for Christ will receive rewards in heaven according to their deeds but if they fail in their efforts they won’t receive the reward but they will still be saved.
Addressing disciples here.
John 15:
I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him,
bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered;
and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Right. I use KJV with NKJV in parallel on biblegateway.com

Personally I prefer the NASB because I believe it gives a more literal translation. The KJV has a small tendency to inject commentaries into its translation. For example 2 Peter 3:9

“The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The idea of changing the word from you to us-ward is typically to imply that God’s patience is only towards those who are elected but according to Romans 2:4-5 God’s patience is also towards those who are stubborn and refusing to repent.

There are other subtle examples spread out in the KJV.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Addressing disciples here.
John 15:
I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him,
bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered;
and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

There are many implications here in this very powerful message. In verse 4 Jesus tells His faithful 11 apostles to abide/remain in Him. In verses 4-5 He tells them why they must remain in Him. In verse 6 He tells them the consequence of failing to remain in Him. And in verse 7 He tells them what they can expect IF they remain in Him. The constant implication here is that even His 11 faithful apostles were capable of turning away.

Another example to consider is 2 Timothy 2:11-13.

“It is a trustworthy statement: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him; If we endure, we will also reign with Him; If we deny Him, He also will deny us; If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:11-13‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Keep in mind this is a personal letter from Paul to Timothy. Paul is not addressing a congregation here.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith