City of Jade
✟6,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys. Sorry I've been gone for a while. Been working a lot. Anyway, I've been hearing people on the radio and on YouTube talking about the biblical Doomsday. I personally don't believe in Revelations or any of the nonsense it talks about. But I used to. I was very young when I lost all hope for humanity. And with all the Doomsday preachers taking about all the wars and earthquakes and stuff, I thought for sure we weren't going to make it to see the new millennium. (This was in the 90s). But we did make it and the preachers were wrong.

Then of course, there came the new brood talking about global warming, super hurricanes, California splitting in half, all the new "super threats" that were bigger and badder than the decade before. Surely these had to be what there Bible was talking about. Yet still, mankind goes on like normal.

Eventually I grew up and started to realize that none of that stuff was true. I still believed in God, I just didn't believe he was going to rain fire and brimstone down upon us wicked sinners. When I look back on how my mindset was, I kinda pitied myself. What a mess I was. I had no hope in the future of the human race because I was sure it was all going to be destroyed soon. And I was waiting for that day. I wanted it to happen.

Once I realized none of that Doomsday crap was true, my mind felt free to become the futurist that I am now. I have high hopes for humanity. I see us conquering the stars one day. And I have many ideas on how we're going to do that. But there are still people who think the Tribulation is coming. Even people who don't believe in Hell think it's going to happen. I feel sorry for people like that because I know what it's like to think that way.

I know many of you believe in that stuff so my question is this: How far do you think we will advance as the human race before God comes and destroys it all? You can quote the Bible because I know you will, but I'm looking for personal opinions not based on scripture. I want to know what you personally think about all that.

As for me, I'll just tell you now that if there ever is a world wide catastrophic event, it will not wipe us all. Many people, notably the rich elite and their choosing, will bunker underground and return to the surface when it's safe to repopulste the Earth. They will have access to all the information we have now and will be able to quickly recover our technological advancements and resume our place in the universe. From there they will continue on as they strive to achieve greatness.

Now there are many scenarios that I have thought about concerning this. One of them is the possibility that we may destroy ourselves again and again until we get it right. Then after many thousands of years of trying to advance, we will finally overcome our own limitations and reach our density within the Stars. It may have even happened before. We could have been just as advanced as we are now if not more before a Great Purge annihilated the population.

It is possible that the Earth, in all it's natural glory, eroded all signs of an advanced civilization so that what was left provided very little evidence of such an era. Everything we have now is subject to decay. From our computers to our cars, buildings and entire cities, all are subject to the second law of thermodynamics.

Though I can not say I truly believe that we were once very advanced, I did believe it at one time. I even thought Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 was referring to such a possibility. Nevertheless, I do believe that we will continue to evolve as a species. We will become creatures of the heavens, each with their own unique characteristics forged by their environments. And if we are indeed alone in this universe, it's probably because we haven't populated it yet.

What are your takes?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eh, even if I were not a christian I would still believe the world is doomed and all humans will die at some point. Whether by an asteroid, or nuclear war or even a planet killing us off because of climate change. We humans destroy and maim everything we touch, including the planet itself. And no rich bunker can save anything. There are very few that even bother with that sort of thing. Lets say there was a nuclear war. Even if they live in the bunker for lets say 50 years, there will still be radiation when they get out. There will be no real food to eat and it will be cold. They will die anyways. They are simply delaying the inevitable.

That aside obviously I don't believe that earths fate because I'm a christian and know how it all ends. After all goes down in revelations, fire will sweep across the universe and burn everything into nothingness. Then a new earth will be made and in short... happily ever after. Well at least for those who chose God.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know many of you believe in that stuff so my question is this: How far do you think we will advance as the human race before God comes and destroys it all?
The amount of time before the end is a secondary issue. If the human race endures and individuals live a long time, death is still inevitable. We live in a universe headed for a low energy state where nothing can survive and even atoms will be torn apart.

This is why spirituality is not going away. The intuition of the fulness of incorruptible Being, and our personal union with Being, is fearless because what is eternal cannot be lost. This is joy and the courage to love enemies. Anyone who has tasted this will think that atheism is mad. It really is an aberrant worldview that suppresses the transcendent consciousness that distinguishes us from animals.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My take on the nothing is new under the sun is that the pre-Adamic race has been there done that got the spaceship to show for it.

Could you elaborate a bit, please?
Ezekiel 28:13-14; Isaiah 14:12-15; Luke 4:6; Revelation 20:7-10; 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; Revelation 13:4, are scripture referring to satan's rule before, during and after the church age as well as Matthew 8:29-32; Luke 10:17; Acts 16:16-18; Acts19:12

The world isn't going thru anything new since the world has been made void once already and will again but by fire this time.

It's speculation on my part that they (the fallen angels from pre-Adamic times) would have had the means to leave the planet just as we have the means (and people lining up for tickets) now.

Hth

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 28:13-14; Isaiah 14:12-15; Luke 4:6; Revelation 20:7-10; 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; Revelation 13:4, are scripture referring to satan's rule before, during and after the church age as well as Matthew 8:29-32; Luke 10:17; Acts 16:16-18; Acts19:12

The world isn't going thru anything new since the world has been made void once already and will again but by fire this time.

It's speculation on my part that they (the fallen angels from pre-Adamic times) would have had the means to leave the planet just as we have the means (and people lining up for tickets) now.

Hth
Ah, I see. That makes some sense. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think God will destroy the world. maybe humans survive and maybe they don't. I don't think that it is a good idea to live for something that you will probably never experience for yourself.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys. Sorry I've been gone for a while. Been working a lot. Anyway, I've been hearing people on the radio and on YouTube talking about the biblical Doomsday. I personally don't believe in Revelations or any of the nonsense it talks about. But I used to. I was very young when I lost all hope for humanity. And with all the Doomsday preachers taking about all the wars and earthquakes and stuff, I thought for sure we weren't going to make it to see the new millennium. (This was in the 90s). But we did make it and the preachers were wrong.

Then of course, there came the new brood talking about global warming, super hurricanes, California splitting in half, all the new "super threats" that were bigger and badder than the decade before. Surely these had to be what there Bible was talking about. Yet still, mankind goes on like normal.

Eventually I grew up and started to realize that none of that stuff was true. I still believed in God, I just didn't believe he was going to rain fire and brimstone down upon us wicked sinners. When I look back on how my mindset was, I kinda pitied myself. What a mess I was. I had no hope in the future of the human race because I was sure it was all going to be destroyed soon. And I was waiting for that day. I wanted it to happen.

Once I realized none of that Doomsday crap was true, my mind felt free to become the futurist that I am now. I have high hopes for humanity. I see us conquering the stars one day. And I have many ideas on how we're going to do that. But there are still people who think the Tribulation is coming. Even people who don't believe in Hell think it's going to happen. I feel sorry for people like that because I know what it's like to think that way.

I know many of you believe in that stuff so my question is this: How far do you think we will advance as the human race before God comes and destroys it all? You can quote the Bible because I know you will, but I'm looking for personal opinions not based on scripture. I want to know what you personally think about all that.

As for me, I'll just tell you now that if there ever is a world wide catastrophic event, it will not wipe us all. Many people, notably the rich elite and their choosing, will bunker underground and return to the surface when it's safe to repopulste the Earth. They will have access to all the information we have now and will be able to quickly recover our technological advancements and resume our place in the universe. From there they will continue on as they strive to achieve greatness.

Now there are many scenarios that I have thought about concerning this. One of them is the possibility that we may destroy ourselves again and again until we get it right. Then after many thousands of years of trying to advance, we will finally overcome our own limitations and reach our density within the Stars. It may have even happened before. We could have been just as advanced as we are now if not more before a Great Purge annihilated the population.

It is possible that the Earth, in all it's natural glory, eroded all signs of an advanced civilization so that what was left provided very little evidence of such an era. Everything we have now is subject to decay. From our computers to our cars, buildings and entire cities, all are subject to the second law of thermodynamics.

Though I can not say I truly believe that we were once very advanced, I did believe it at one time. I even thought Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 was referring to such a possibility. Nevertheless, I do believe that we will continue to evolve as a species. We will become creatures of the heavens, each with their own unique characteristics forged by their environments. And if we are indeed alone in this universe, it's probably because we haven't populated it yet.

What are your takes?

Just because a some preachers misinterpreted the End time prophecies of the Bible and their false predictions did not come true does not mean that the predictions in the Bible are not true..

Just because some unwise guy cries WOLF WOLF and then another Cries the same thing a few years later and the WOLF does not appear as they said it would, does not mean that the WOLF does not exist and will not make it's appearance one day in the future...

You hope in mankind is founded on quicksand.. Humans have been humans for a long time and have acted like humans for a long time and will continue to act like humans have acted into the future.. There will be no brave new would utopia whilst mankind is running the show.. How many times does mankind have to prove to people just how faulty and self destructive they are before people wise up and realize no such hoped for utopias are going to be realized on earth until the return of the LORD Jesus Christ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP: "When God destroys the world..."

OOPs! You just acknowledged there IS a God! Read His "Owner's Manual", the miraculous Bible, for details. Start with Matthew 24 and Revelation chapters 19-END!

2 Peter 3 gives exquisite details: FIRE!

WHEN? Only God the Father knows.
WHY? Because God keeps His promises.
HOW? Planet Earth and wickedness therein destroyed by FIRE! SOURCE of the Fire? My Guess: Our life-giving sun

My best guess on a time-space LINE:

1. Begin the birth of the "Church Age" of Grace...Pentecost...Acts 1 + 2
2. Jesus promises to be with us in Spirit until the "end of the age" Matthew 28 end
...ascends/descends from the Mount of Olives...Matt 20:20; Zechariah 14:4; Acts 1:11
3. Pre-Tribulation "Birth Pangs"...NOW!...Matthew 24: 4-8
4. Begin TRIBULATION...first 3.5 years of Daniel's 7 years (Chapters 11-12)
...rise of the anti-christ + REBUILD the TEMPLE! = his appearance in that TEMPLE...Matthew 24:9-20,22
...WHEN it begins? TIME Unknown!...Only the FATHER!
5. Rapture and Second Coming...finally to a throne in Jerusalem as King of Kings . Revelation 20:6
6. Begin GREAT TRIBULATION...Last 3.5 years of Daniel's 7 years...leading up to Armageddon...Matthew 24:21-27
7. Begin the Millenium Reign...Satan Bound...Revelation 20...Jesus wins!
8. Planet Earth and unsaved inhabitants destroyed by fire. 2 Peter 3
9. New Heavens + New Earth + New Jerusalem = eternal spiritual realm...Revelation 21

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What are your takes?

Hey erealmz,

Ok. Here's my 2 cent$. Being that God hasn't given His Revelation to us in a comprehensive manner--and by revelation I mean in general as it is spread throughout the whole of the Bible and not just as represented in the book after that name--some Christians, even those in important leadership positions, have misinterpreted, misapplied, and/or basically gone beyond the provinces of legitimate theology to pronounce upon 'things' of the future for which we have no clear or complete picture.

So......we have several diverse eschatological frameworks out there floating about for everyone to delve into and by which to become thoroughly confused. Confused, that is, if we give too much credence to any one particular eschatological framework, or erroneously assume that God meant for us to "have all the details on a newspaper level...."

Since you were subject to eschatological hype growing up, I'm not surprised you later had misgivings about it all after beginning to scrutinize it. In contrast to your experiences, I fortunately (or unfortunately) didn't grow up in a household that was given over to any study of the Bible, and we only attended infrequently a somewhat liberal church. Instead, I watched Sagan's COSMOS, followed developments at NASA, and dreamed of the future through various avenues of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. It wasn't until later in my late adolescence that I first encountered Dispensationalist sensationalism (i.e. Hal Lindsey type eschatology) and began to wonder what all this revelation stuff was. Even at that point, something didn't quite sound right to me with it all, and through later, successive phases of study, I found out why. :rolleyes: [Note: this isn't to say that I'm dissing my Dispensational brethren, but rather simply to say that I don't quite agree with every jot and tittle of biblical interpretation that they hold to. Maybe on some points they're correct, but on other points, maybe even some important ones, not so much...]

As to your specific question about the extent to which we think humanity will prosper and advance, my answer is: I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. I have my own view on it all, but I hold my view tentatively. All I do know is that even though humanity seems to advance, our specific advancement in technology often becomes a double-edge sword.............................................:preach:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Thessalonians 5

1 Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers and sisters, you do not need to have anything written to you. 2 For you yourselves know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 When they say, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them, as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and there will be no escape! 4 But you, beloved, are not in darkness, for that day to surprise you like a thief; 5 for you are all children of light and children of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness. 6 So then let us not fall asleep as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober; 7 for those who sleep sleep at night, and those who are drunk get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God has destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.

12 But we appeal to you, brothers and sisters, to respect those who labor among you, and have charge of you in the Lord and admonish you; 13 esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. 14 And we urge you, beloved, to admonish the idlers, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them. 15 See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise the words of prophets, 21 but test everything; hold fast to what is good; 22 abstain from every form of evil.

23 May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There will NEVER be "world peace", a planet free of chaos, sin, and the devil. Man is DEVOLVING spiritually, getting further and further from Eden. Man's works can only make him more "comfortable". He cannot "work" his way to God.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There will NEVER be "world peace", a planet free of chaos, sin, and the devil. Man is DEVOLVING spiritually, getting further and further from Eden. Man's works can only make him more "comfortable". He cannot "work" his way to God.
The only successful Christian is one who gets back to the garden. Or is that a successful hippie, I get confused ;P

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ron Gurley

Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
GOD continues to cry out to Mankind like He did in the Garden:
Genesis 3:9 (NASB) Then the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?”

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our planet will be destroyed in 5 billion years or so when the Sun expands as a red giant and engulfs the Earth. But unless we have the technology to colonize other planets, it's likely that Homo sapiens will go extinct before then. Based on the fossil record, that seems to be the eventual fate of all species.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The human race as I know it will end in the next 40 years or so. Simply because I will end in the next 40 years or so. We all eventually have our own personal apocalypse and judgement day.

I don't think we will eventually reach the stars. The distance is too vast. There will eventually be civilization-breaking disasters, wars, pollution and lack of resources. Human kind is too poor at planning ahead for others, the nature is fundamentally flawed. For these reasons, I am not a humanist. When God comes globally, if He does, I suspect it will be as much a mercy as when He comes personally.

I can't speculate a timeframe for a global Revelation style intervention - perhaps tomorrow, perhaps sometime after WWIII? I don't know that I personally have any time beyond the next moment, I only know what the rough outside of my moments here might be.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

erealmz

Oh, that's right...
Aug 28, 2017
City of Jade
✟6,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
OP: "When God destroys the world..."

OOPs! You just acknowledged there IS a God! Read His "Owner's Manual", the miraculous Bible, for details. Start with Matthew 24 and Revelation chapters 19-END!

2 Peter 3 gives exquisite details: FIRE!

WHEN? Only God the Father knows.
WHY? Because God keeps His promises.
HOW? Planet Earth and wickedness therein destroyed by FIRE! SOURCE of the Fire? My Guess: Our life-giving sun

My best guess on a time-space LINE:

1. Begin the birth of the "Church Age" of Grace...Pentecost...Acts 1 + 2
2. Jesus promises to be with us in Spirit until the "end of the age" Matthew 28 end
...ascends/descends from the Mount of Olives...Matt 20:20; Zechariah 14:4; Acts 1:11
3. Pre-Tribulation "Birth Pangs"...NOW!...Matthew 24: 4-8
4. Begin TRIBULATION...first 3.5 years of Daniel's 7 years (Chapters 11-12)
...rise of the anti-christ + REBUILD the TEMPLE! = his appearance in that TEMPLE...Matthew 24:9-20,22
...WHEN it begins? TIME Unknown!...Only the FATHER!
5. Rapture and Second Coming...finally to a throne in Jerusalem as King of Kings . Revelation 20:6
6. Begin GREAT TRIBULATION...Last 3.5 years of Daniel's 7 years...leading up to Armageddon...Matthew 24:21-27
7. Begin the Millenium Reign...Satan Bound...Revelation 20...Jesus wins!
8. Planet Earth and unsaved inhabitants destroyed by fire. 2 Peter 3
9. New Heavens + New Earth + New Jerusalem = eternal spiritual realm...Revelation 21

You are the Christian version of David Icke

Upvote 0