United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
2020 Coalition to End Sexual Exploitation Online Global Summit

This is one of today's videos from the Coalition to End Sexual Exploitation. You must register to watch this video, but registration is free & easy. There are far more talks available than just this one, too, even though this is the one I'd like to discuss.

Also, it's only available for the next 23 hours or so. I'll edit in something that can be seen beyond this time frame later today, but for now, it's a good 18-minute video from a man who works with various sexual abuse healing services, particularly with Jewish & Christian communities.

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Post a summary and I'll read it.
That's a fair request. In brief, the speaker uses a variety of professional articles from psychological research, from sources like the American Psychological Association (APA) & John Hopkins University. What they have found is that people with childhood abuse, which is generally in multiple forms (sexual, physical, mental, etc), tend to reject organized religion, but often maintain a personal spirituality. It is hard for them to trust, especially if the abuse is from a religious leader, but personal prayer, Bible reading, and other individual forms of spirituality are common among abuse victims. The way to address & heal these issues can often be theological, if the damaged spirituality was partially due to someone claiming religious motivations, or if the person comes to have anger or hatred towards God. The speaker has pushed for chaplains to be hired into organizations that work to heal childhood trauma, because psychological research has shown that spiritual healing can be very beneficial in the healing process.

Here's a few of the examples the speaker gave of people he had worked with:

--A girl had a Baptist preacher father, who repeatedly sexually abused her. He claimed Bible passages of Adam & Eve, and again of the family of Noah that came off the ark, to show why incest was permitted by God. A chaplain would try healing this twisted idea of God by pointing to the passage in Matthew's Gospel, where Jesus is tempted by satan. What is satan doing? Quoting Scripture, out of context. Explaining that merely quoting Scripture for personal purposes does not mean that this shows God's will.

--A girl was raised in a conservative Lutheran family, where he father would sexually abuse her. He said he would stop when she received communion at 13, because then she would have Christ within her. The night before she received Communion, as her dad was abusing her, she asked, "This is the last time, right?" He laughed & said, " No, I just said that to keep you quiet. " When she received Communion the next day, she spit in the chalice, and chewed the host with hatred towards God. A minister then worked with her, after she was courageous enough to talk about what was happening. The minister pointed to the Crucifixion section of the Bible, and asked, "What do you see here? People spitting on Jesus, torturing Him to death, and He forgives them all. Now if He can forgive the people who spit on Him during His Crucifixion, why wouldn't He forgive you for spitting in the chalice?"

I'll address your other question later, but I need to help my mom with the laundry now. Thank you for your input , I really do appreciate it!

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is hard for them to trust, especially if the abuse is from a religious leader, but personal prayer, Bible reading, and other individual forms of spirituality are common among abuse victims. The way to address & heal these issues can often be theological, if the damaged spirituality was partially due to someone claiming religious motivations, or if the person comes to have anger or hatred towards God.

If god didn't intervene in the abuse, why would anyone think he gives a damn about healing the victim later? And before anyone says something about "god's plan", I'll point out that any plan that requires sexual exploitation victims is a bad plan.

If someone is dealing with the trauma of abuse, they should seek the help of a licensed, trained psychiatrist or psychologist with expertise in abuse victims.

I absolutely encourage anyone who was abused by a religious leader to walk out of that house of worship (regardless of which religion) and never, ever look back, unless it's from a courtroom.

The speaker has pushed for chaplains to be hired into organizations that work to heal childhood trauma, because psychological research has shown that spiritual healing can be very beneficial in the healing process.

Here's a few of the examples the speaker gave of people he had worked with:

--A girl had a Baptist preacher father, who repeatedly sexually abused her. He claimed Bible passages of Adam & Eve, and again of the family of Noah that came off the ark, to show why incest was permitted by God. A chaplain would try healing this twisted idea of God by pointing to the passage in Matthew's Gospel, where Jesus is tempted by satan. What is satan doing? Quoting Scripture, out of context. Explaining that merely quoting Scripture for personal purposes does not mean that this shows God's will.[/quote]

I would like to see the scholarly papers where medical professionals say it's helpful for abuse victims to hear about Satan and talking snakes and incest. Because I think it's really about damage control.

--A girl was raised in a conservative Lutheran family, where he father would sexually abuse her. He said he would stop when she received communion at 13, because then she would have Christ within her. The night before she received Communion, as her dad was abusing her, she asked, "This is the last time, right?" He laughed & said, " No, I just said that to keep you quiet. " When she received Communion the next day, she spit in the chalice, and chewed the host with hatred towards God. A minister then worked with her, after she was courageous enough to talk about what was happening. The minister pointed to the Crucifixion section of the Bible, and asked, "What do you see here? People spitting on Jesus, torturing Him to death, and He forgives them all. Now if He can forgive the people who spit on Him during His Crucifixion, why wouldn't He forgive you for spitting in the chalice?"

FORGIVE THE ABUSE VICTIM!? Are you * serious???!!

* a long string of expletives

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

Wow this is straight garbage, even by Christianity's standards! And people try to unironically convince me this isn't toxic lol.

I think on this basis alone you can throw out the rest of this so-called course on principal.

• Agree
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It really shows that churches have to publicly make known there procedures for dealing with abuse.
That independent churches need to be part of a covering organisation who will take accusations of abuse seriously, investigate them to the point that the police need to be involved and to support the victims and other family members.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That independent churches need to be part of a covering organisation who will take accusations of abuse seriously, investigate them to the point that the police need to be involved and to support the victims and other family members.

That would be nice, but at least in the Catholic Church, that won't happen. If an abuser confesses, the priest is not required to report it like everyone else would be because "religion".

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Unless I misunderstand, it seems @Unofficial Reverand Alex is discussing specifically the spiritual impact of trauma. There is a psychological impact and in some cases a spiritual impact where the victim rejects organized religion.

Honestly, I'm not sure the the spiritual impact is very important compared to the massive psychological impact. If a victim never attends church again but is otherwise healed from the abuse then I would consider that good enough. However, I can see that the traditional Catholic belief in the crucial role of the sacraments makes it imperative that the victim's aversion to organized religion must also be healed.

It's kind of a depressing subject.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Unless I misunderstand, it seems @Unofficial Reverand Alex is discussing specifically the spiritual impact of trauma. There is a psychological impact and in some cases a spiritual impact where the victim rejects organized religion.

Trying to save the spirituality at the cost of the victims' psychology?
The victim's best interest is clearly not what these ministers have in mind.

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,309.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
My wife's best friend was being battered and verbally abused by her husband. My wife's friend wanted to live by Christian values and so did everything she could to avoid the route of divorce. It took quite a bit of effort but eventually she was able to convince her husband to join her in counseling with a Church counselor. The counseling ended as did the marriage when she was told that she was not being submissive enough to her husband. This all happened 20 years or so ago and she is still really angry at Christianity and pretty wounded with deep fear. With today's chaotic world of uncertainty, that fear for her is more intense these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Trying to save the spirituality at the cost of the victims' psychology?
The victim's best interest is clearly not what these ministers have in mind.
I guess the details are missing, but I imagined that the victims had already received secular counseling and were now receiving religious counseling to feel comfortable in church again.

The healing takes decades for some people, and maybe your instincts are correct that complicating the treatment with religious issues at any stage is a bad idea. Faith in God surely helps some victims though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess the details are missing, but I imagined that the victims had already received secular counseling and were now receiving religious counseling to feel comfortable in church again.

Maybe, but if you need counseling to feel comfortable in church, then you shouldn't be going to church.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That would be nice, but at least in the Catholic Church, that won't happen. If an abuser confesses, the priest is not required to report it like everyone else would be because "religion".

It is a legal requirement in the UK.
Even in the Catholic church it does not have to be the priest who investigates the allegation so the issue of having the secrecy of the confession would not apply.
All any responcibile person would do is hear the allegation inorder to determin just how serious it was before reporting it to the police.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is a legal requirement in the UK.
Even in the Catholic church it does not have to be the priest who investigates the allegation so the issue of having the secrecy of the confession would not apply.
All any responcibile person would do is hear the allegation inorder to determin just how serious it was before reporting it to the police.

Were there objections to the law?
How does the law relate to the Seal of Confession?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Were there objections to the law?
How does the law relate to the Seal of Confession?

There are always objections to every law from all sorts of parties.

My only knowledge is of the procedures set up in the church I attend to safeguard children, vunerable adults and staff,/helpers.
That is that all allegations will be taken seriously, that they will not be investigated by the church, beyond a fact gathering interview, and that any investigation would be conducted by the police.
Part of the reason for the interview is to identify the staff member so they can be monitored for the protection of others, they can be removed from post as that is an accusation of unproved guilt.

I know little about the RCC confession except what appears in films like the Father Brown detective series.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums