Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Has any of you ever seen a female mammal such as a female dog or female cat give birth? I know, because a vet told me, that all mammals have belly buttons. But a belly button arises when the umbilical cord is cut. So my question is, in the wild, when it comes time to cut the umbilical cord, who cuts it for the mother?

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Has any of you ever seen a female mammal such as a female dog or female cat give birth? I know, because a vet told me, that all mammals have belly buttons. But a belly button arises when the umbilical cord is cut. So my question is, in the wild, when it comes time to cut the umbilical cord, who cuts it for the mother?

I have seen many animal births and some have cords and some dont, the mothers chew off the cords and lick them off.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The mother, licks off the birth sac and bites off the umbilical cord.

God Bless.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

As others have said, the mother chews the cord off. A bit of cord remains on the baby and eventually dries up and falls off like a scab.

The babies are each born in a placenta that looks like a membrane sack. The mother licks it off and cleans the baby.

One of the sweetest things i've ever witnessed was when a cat I had gave birth for the first time and didn't know what to do. The first kitten came out in it's placenta but the mother didn't seem to know what it was. I took a paper towel and started to remove the placenta.

The kitten's head was uncovered and it meowed. The mother recognized the sound of its own baby and almost took a fit cleaning it off.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mammals are not born in a placenta. The "sac" posters referred to is the amniotic sac, full of amniotic fluid, which surrounds all mammal babies during gestation. The placenta is the organ that develops in the uterus during pregnancy through which the growing baby receives essential nutrients from the mother. It is delivered after the birth and is often literally referred to as "afterbirth".

Upvote 0