When does the shift from merely human to officially cyborg take place?

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
So what about breast implants?
I don't need them ;)

But seriously, I don't think so, because they don't really provide supra-normal physical capability; the Oxford English dictionary defines it as a, "person whose physical abilities are extended beyond normal human limitations by mechanical elements built into the body." I'm tempted to extend that to include electronic elements too...

But, like most everyday definitions, there are likely to be borderline cases where it's a matter of personal judgement or opinion.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
How much modification would a person have to undergo before we would consider him or her a cyborg is the question. I know that no matter how modified my mom would be, she would always be my mom and never a cyborg to me.
It's not either-or; she will always be your mom, whether she's a cyborg, or a pensioner, or an asthmatic, etc.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
because they don't really provide supra-normal physical capability;
I'm not sure that is the case.

They can seemily take control of buffudled, clearly out of their depth wealthy old guys and make them dance like puppets, biggly.

Like puppets, biggly.

That sounds like a super power.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So it is like a glass eye for aesthetics purposes only? The word cyber means that there is a functional component other than just appearance. That is why a woman with silicon boob transplants would not be considered a candidate for a cyborg.

No, it functions better than her original eye, it definitely works. But maybe it wasn't her retina -all I know is that she had a really bad cataract, and so they cut something out and replaced it with a synthetic one, whatever it was. It is a permanent, bionic, component that allows her to see clearly.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not either-or; she will always be your mom, whether she's a cyborg, or a pensioner, or an asthmatic, etc.
Good point! Motherhood remains unchanged regardless of any type of bionic addition to the mother's body.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, it functions better than her original eye, it definitely works. But maybe it wasn't her retina -all I know is that she had a really bad cataract, and so they cut something out and replaced it with a synthetic one, whatever it was. It is a permanent, bionic, component that allows her to see clearly.

Since your mom sees perfectly I'm sure it wasn't like this one. All this one does is show dots!
But then again his condition must have been different.

_84417073_bionic_eye_624.png

Bionic eye implant world first - BBC News

Sounds more like she got a bionic lense:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I recall a story called gray matters where
brains had to fight and scheme to get
mechanical transport body so they could
get out of storage.

They never thought of them selves as
cyborgs.

How could they fight and scheme while being in storage?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think he's still a human and not at all a cyborg. Interesting thread idea. I'd think a cyborb would have to be created from the start and never human -- it's arguably possible you can take a human and transform them completely into a robot, but you'd have to kill their entire living body or at least most of it in the process - and let's admit we are nowhere near that developed yet. I doubt we'd ever be that advanced with this branch of science, although who knows.
Ever see the film Robocop where a man is killed in the line of duty and his brain is removed and placed into a robotic body?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ever see the film Robocop where a ma is killed in the line of duty and his brain in removed and placed into a robotic body?

Unfortunately, yes I have seen it. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Cloning is unnatural and goes against what Genesis clearly tells mankind to do.

Identical twins are natural clones, so I don't see how clones can be unnatural when they naturally occur all of the time.

The established arrangement in Genesis is for two parents. So obviously that is how God wants us to do things.

The vast majority of species on Earth reproduce by cloning themselves.

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Identical twins are natural clones, so I don't see how clones can be unnatural when they naturally occur all of the time.

The vast majority of species on Earth reproduce by cloning themselves.
I wasn't referring to natural cloning in nature.
I wasn't referring to non-humans when I mentioned the marriage arrangement.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I'd say that the official line would be somewhat hazy, but my personal (completely uninformed) definition would be that a person becomes a cyborg if one or more of his organs are replaced by a mechanical component that acts as well, if not better than the original.

So someone with a pacemaker would not qualify, and neither would someone with a glass eye, but someone with a hand prostetic that is completely articulate and moves naturally would.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'd say that the official line would be somewhat hazy, but my personal (completely uninformed) definition would be that a person becomes a cyborg if one or more of his organs are replaced by a mechanical component that acts as well, if not better than the original.

So someone with a pacemaker would not qualify, and neither would someone with a glass eye, but someone with a hand prostetic that is completely articulate and moves naturally would.

How about someone with a microchips in his brain to give him access to the internet or to phones? Or does it have to be replacement of an organ only?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
How about someone with a microchips in his brain to give him access to the internet or to phones? Or does it have to be replacement of an organ only?
Wouldn't call that a cyborg, no. After all, we use tools to enhance our abilities or gain new abilities every day, since the time man started flintknapping. I don't think that it's a big difference if those tools are implanted in the body.

On the other hand, I don't think that such an implant could be done without replacing some part of the brain with a mechanical part, at the very least as an interface.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't call that a cyborg, no. After all, we use tools to enhance our abilities or gain new abilities every day, since the time man started flintknapping. I don't think that it's a big difference if those tools are implanted in the body.

On the other hand, I don't think that such an implant could be done without replacing some part of the brain with a mechanical part, at the very least as an interface.

Here is an article on using microchips in relation to the brain.
Brain implants: Restoring memory with a microchip - CNN.com

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Starts with the mark of the beast, a chip implant, and proceeds from there...

God Bless!
I was taught that the Mark of the beast, is received whenever a person takes part in this world's political squabbles via voting. The beast was identified as the world political system under Satan. The biblical justification for this was described as the prophecies concerning the beasts in the book of Daniel where thy are described as a succession of world empires. In short, the book of Daniel provides the key to understanding the symbolism of Revelation.

Upvote 0