When does the shift from merely human to officially cyborg take place?

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, God is with us and God loves us and loves life in general so it would seem to make sense that he would work through us and the rest of creation to make everlasting life a reality by making imperishable bodies through the ingenuity of humanity. How? I'm not really sure, but I think it's an interesting topic of discussion. :)

Wouldn't that go completely contrary to the biblical promises Christians believe in? That he will transform a person himself and not via human technology using cyborganism?

1 Corinthians 15:52 (KJV)
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Good point! She was definitely not superhuman in the sense of superhuman abilities whereas the fellow was officially tagged as cyborg based on his ability to receive satellite transmissions directly to his brain. So maintenance or human normal ability seems to be the criterion as you said.

But then I started thinking, suppose a severely injured person who had leg and arm amputations is fitted with limbs which work as normal human limbs do, a mechanical heart that functions as normal hearts, microchips brain implants which make normal sight and normal hearing possible. All these would simply allow him to lead a normal human life. Still not a cyborg? If not, then we would need to change the present definition of cyborg. Correct?

You are right when it comes to stories.

cyborg

p
Definition of cyborg for English Language Learners
  • in stories : a person whose body contains mechanical or electrical devices and whose abilities are greater than the abilities of normal humans

• Definition of CYBORG
  • -------------------------------

• Medical Definition of cyborg

1. : a bionic human
    -----------
The medical definition just says bionic human.

The following definition doesn't require superhuman abilities at all.
the definition of cyborg.
I suppose common-sense and judgement applies. There are no strict boundaries for commonplace (non-jargon) definitions, as Wittgenstein showed.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't that go completely contrary to the biblical promises Christians believe in? That he will transform a person himself and not via human technology using cyborganism?

1 Corinthians 15:52 (KJV)
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Indeed, I'm sure he has a good way to transform us from our corruptible bodies to incorruptible bodies that we can't even imagine.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I suppose common-sense and judgement applies. There are no strict boundaries for commonplace (non-jargon) definitions, as Wittgenstein showed.
There is also the possible stigma of being referred to as a cyborg. I definitely wouldn't like to be referred to in that way no matter what the additions to my body might be.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
what is your view on things like animal domestication?
There is nothing wrong with animal domestication unless cruelty is involved. Making a cyborg out of an animal is definitely repulsive since it has no choice.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing wrong with animal domestication unless cruelty is involved. Making a cyborg out of an animal is definitely repulsive since it has no choice.

What is the difference between animal domestication (including Russians domesticating foxes), and people playing God with creation? Where is the line drawn?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is also the possible stigma of being referred to as a cyborg. I definitely wouldn't like to be referred to in that way no matter what the additions to my body might be.

What do you think the difference is between being a cyborg and simply having some mechanical parts?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is the difference between animal domestication (including Russians domesticating foxes), and people playing God with creation? Where is the line drawn?
One thing to keep in mind is that in Genesis mankind is given dominion over the animals. Also after the Flood we are given permission to use them as food. So we aren't doing anything wrong with animals in those areas unless there is cruelty involved. Also, it isn't playing God to help a human with science so that the human can see, hear, or move about again. So if indeed it is to show compassion turning a person into a cyborg isn't a sin.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One thing to keep in mind is that in Genesis mankind is given dominion over the animals. Also after the Flood we are given permission to use them as food. So we aren't doing anything wrong with animals in those areas unless there is cruelty involved. Also, it isn't playing God to help a human with science so that the human can see, hear, or move about again. So if indeed it is to show compassion turning a person into a cyborg isn't a sin.

What about animal hybrids?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What do you think the difference is between being a cyborg and simply having some mechanical parts?
Maybe its a matter of degree. In fact, that's what I'm trying to determine by getting feedback. Where exactly do we draw the line? Where do you draw the line?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the hybridization causes some type of stress to the animal involved the it is wrong.

So you think wolfdog creation is wrong? From my research it is very unstable-mixing two similar but different creatures to form an unpreditcable intermediate.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So you think wolfdog creation is wrong? From my research it is very unstable-mixing two similar but different creatures to form an unpreditcable intermediate.
What do you mean by unstable? Also, are you comparing this with a human becoming a cyborg?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.