When did the disciples recieve the Holy Spirit?

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high - Luke 24:49

And when He had said this , He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit." - John 20:22

But you shall recieve power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. - Acts 1 :8

If they did not recieve the Spirit until Pentecost, then what is the significance of the passage in John 20:22?

And just another scripture to ponder over as well...

If anyone thrusts, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified - John 7 :37-39

When was Jesus glorified in the sense he speaks of here, post resurrection pre ascension, or post ascension?

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high - Luke 24:49

And when He had said this , He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit." - John 20:22

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. - Acts 1 :8

If they did not receive the Spirit until Pentecost, then what is the significance of the passage in John 20:22?

If anyone thursts, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified - John 7 :37-39

When was Jesus glorified in the sense he speaks of here, post resurrection pre ascension, or post ascension?

Some believe that those passages you quoted were speaking of the same thing, I am not one of them.

In - Luke 24:49 he is speaking of what was to come on Pentecost.

In Acts 1 :8 it speaks of the same time as Luke 24

Both of these books were written by Luke who was not a eye witness so his wording may be ambiguous.

I see that different than what is said by John.

"And when He had said this , He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

This was after the resurrection, it was when he visited them in hiding.

The power that they were given at that time was this:

Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

The later power given was at Pentecost, or Shavuot, it was the power to preach the good news to all the tribes of Israel, in every language they understood, gathered there at that time as it was a commandment to do so.

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some believe that those passages you quoted were speaking of the same thing, I am not one of them.

In - Luke 24:49 he is speaking of what was to come on Pentecost.

In Acts 1 :8 it speaks of the same time as Luke 24

Both of these books were written by Luke who was not a eye witness so his wording may be ambiguous.

I see that different than what is said by John.

"And when He had said this , He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

This was after the resurrection, it was when he visited them in hiding.

The power that they were given at that time was this:

Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

The later power given was at Pentecost, or Shavuot, it was the power to preach the good news to all the tribes of Israel, in every language they understood, gathered there at that time as it was a commandment to do so.

This has been my consideration recently, that the Holy Ghost coming upon them was not exactly the same as them initially receiving the Spirit in John 20. I still wanted to hear any other ideas on it though.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

But you shall recieve power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. - Acts 1 :8

If they did not recieve the Spirit until Pentecost, then what is the significance of the passage in John 20:22?

If anyone thrusts, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified - John 7 :37-39

He caused the Holy Spirit to guide them even since He met them for the first time, however, He had to go to the Father so as to send them the Holy Spirit in all Its fullness - that's the difference

Blessings

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,047.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This has been my consideration recently, that the Holy Ghost coming upon them was not exactly the same as them initially receiving the Spirit in John 20. I still wanted to hear any other ideas on it though.
I posted this in another thread that you may want to consider also

Jesus demonstrated a double baptism of the Holy Spirit received from Him. The first was breathed upon them as disciples. That's the air that all disciples breath. It's for the daily living as His disciples. We breath Him in at all times and breath out that which is foul. Constant vigilance because He has sent us into the world as sheep among the wolves.
But what He sends out He also equips so the fire from on high is also given to accomplish His work. So the first baptism of the breath of God is for living and the other baptism of fire is the mantle for His servants that leads His disciples in their work with Him. Also seen in the OT as the fire by night and the cloud by day but NT as the tongues of fire that are of the Holy Spirit.​

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Dunno.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,047.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe it entailed a time that was post-resurrection but pre-ascension. During the time that Raboni (teacher) told a disciple not to touch Him because He had not yet risen to the Father that He would have presented Himself to the Father before appearing enable to walk thru walls in His glorified state.

Upvote 0