When did the Church begin?

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
There is a fascinating study I wish we had the time and place for. Because the ideas and theories about this range from Adam and Eve comprising th first Christian Church to Pentecost and way beyond. Some of these thoughts are more than a little fascinating.

Nevertheless the beginning of the Church is clearly marked by the day of Pentecost. There is a ton of Scriptural evidence to support this, but naturally I cannot list them all here. However, a couple.

In Matthew 16, Jesus speaks of building His Church in a future tense, thereby indicating that it could not have existed prior to that time, and especially not in Old Testamnet times.

The Book of Ephesians makes it abundantly clear that for the Church to function it was imperative that Christ both arise and ascend.

Ephesians 1:19: "And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, {his mighty power: Gr. the might of his power}
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all."

It is also obvious that the Church could not function without the giving of gifts, which also could not have been given without the ascension. So both the resurrection and the ascension are required.

Ephesians 4:7 "But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. {captivity…: or, a multitude of captives}
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) {fill: or, fulfil}
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:"

Father, help us to understand when the Church began so that we can understand who and what the Church is and where and how we fit into it.

Very interesting thread to study.  My "Everyday Bible" calls the people back in Acts 6, with the choosing of the seven, (verse 7) "The group of followers in Jerusalem became larger and larger," or called them "believers"  like Acts 11:18, "When the Jewish believers heard this, they stopped arguing" and I think it's not until Acts 12 that this version starts using the word "church" -- Acts 12:5, "So Peter was kept in jail.  But the church kept on praying to God for him."

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
The point being that there could be no "Church" without the ministry of the Holy Spirit, Who Jesus said would not come until He ascended. The reason being that according to I Corinthians 1:12,13:12 it is The Holy Spirit that baptizes us INTO the Church, or the Body of Christ, which the Church is.

"¶ For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."

We see this happening in Acts 11:15 and 16 also.

Upvote 0