Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A lot of people might wonder why Augustine makes such a big deal about thieving some fruit, but this act marks an important moment in Augustine's life as a sinner. This is the first of his sins that he can remember. This is the beginning of it all. Sure, Augustine sinned before that, but this is the first time he consciously sins simply for the sake of sinning… and he does so for no apparent reason. He's not even hungry, and he doesn't eat the pears. So this thievery is actually a pretty sinister event, especially considering all of the other sins that Augustine is going to get into soon after: like sex, Manichaeism, and pride. You guessed it: stealing pears was, like, Augustine's original sin.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Speaking of, let's get back to what we were saying about the Garden of Eden. According to Genesis, eating the forbidden fruit was what caused everything to go awry in the world. It was literally the first sin from which all other sins were born, even though it, too, seemed like a minor thing. The point is, in both instances Augustine is showing that there is an impulse in us to sin—Augustine tells us that "If any part of one of those pears passed my lips, it was the sin that gave it flavor" (II.6.1)—and that it is something that has to be actively combated. He's also saying that even in the most innocuous sin are the seeds of greater sins to come, so watch out: it's the little sins that'll getcha.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking of, let's get back to what we were saying about the Garden of Eden. According to Genesis, eating the forbidden fruit was what caused everything to go awry in the world. It was literally the first sin from which all other sins were born, even though it, too, seemed like a minor thing. The point is, in both instances Augustine is showing that there is an impulse in us to sin—Augustine tells us that "If any part of one of those pears passed my lips, it was the sin that gave it flavor" (II.6.1)—and that it is something that has to be actively combated. He's also saying that even in the most innocuous sin are the seeds of greater sins to come, so watch out: it's the little sins that'll getcha.
You're becoming quite a writer, and zeroing in on the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So in this context, can I ask anyone what was your "original sin"?
What was the "small" sin that started it all for you?
I think I had some incident where I enjoyed insulting someone in my teenage years. It gave me a rush. It made me aware of the power of words. And I've used it to "protect" myself. In reality it was an introduction to hating my neighbour instead of loving them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So in this context, can I ask anyone what was your "original sin"?
What was the "small" sin that started it all for you?
I think I had some incident where I enjoyed insulting someone in my teenage years. It gave me a rush. It made me aware of the power of words. And I've used it "protect" to myself. In reality it was an introduction to hating my neighbour instead of loving them.
Like everyone else, I was born in it. Otherwise, I don't want to go there! Praise God, I'm forgiven forever.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I really meant that as a neutral statement. I think Augustine is a poor example in some ways. Turning aside from a wife and family to pursue some platonic ideal of perfect love doesn't seem wise to me, it seems vainglorious. And introspection can be a manifestation of perversity in its own right. Anxiety, neurosis... those are not good things. I agree with Augustine that our hearts are restless, until they rest in God... but God is freely available right here and right now. I don't have to do anything, God has done it all.

I'm going to be contrarian and just say I can't remember having a "pear" type experience. I suppose for me the thing that really hit me was awareness of mortality. And that made me wonder about eternity and God. I had this awareness before I was even a teenager. Maybe it made me a bit serious minded from a young age, perhaps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think a lot of us can identify with the Prodigal Son life that Augustine lived. I find it harder to appreciate the saints who were Godly from the start.
Francis of Assisi too, rejected the life of business and material success after a period of disillusionment. Thomas Merton(yet to be canonised?) is another example .
These saints are accessible. And Augustine is so honest. By reading "Confessions" I can understand the nature of sin and my own issues.
This introspective approach is also a way of keeping track of our Phariseeic tendencies once we accept Jesus as Lord and Saviour.

Upvote 0