Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wheaton College (a conservative evangelical college) professors have penned what is believed to be the first college-level textbook outlining mainstream scientific theories on origins of life and how they fit within a biblical framework, something they say has been lacking in Christian higher education for decades.

“God created nature, He also gave Scripture...So theology is really designed to look at the data of Scripture, right? And science is designed to listen to the data of nature. Well, nature and scriptures shouldn't conflict because they’re both from God.”

Wheaton scholars pen first 'Origins' college textbook bridging the Bible to ‘mainline science’

Last edited:

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Science really doesn’t have anything to do with religion. So this is pointless and a rather silly thing to do. The fact that science debunks some beliefs is not done out of spite. The beliefs are just inaccurate descriptions of nature

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Science really doesn’t have anything to do with religion. So this is pointless and a rather silly thing to do. The fact that science debunks some beliefs is not done out of spite. The beliefs are just inaccurate descriptions of nature
I think you may be missing the point. Rather than engaging in the usual science vs religion argument and inventing pseudoscientific explanations to explain where science disagrees with a literal reading of the Bible, instead they propose to read the Bible in light of mainstream understandings of science, which for a conservative college, that as I understand it once required faculty to sign some sort of theological statement that included statements against evolution, is quite a change.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you may be missing the point. Rather than engaging in the usual science vs religion argument and inventing pseudoscientific explanations to explain where science disagrees with a literal reading of the Bible, instead they propose to read the Bible in light of mainstream understandings of science, which for a conservative college, that as I understand it once required faculty to sign some sort of theological statement that included statements against evolution, is quite a change.
intelligent design isn’t scientific either . It’s a fancied up argument from ignorance I hope that ID is not what they are doing in their book. No I’m not an atheist I’m just scientifically literate

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What in the article specifically do you find to be pointless? What in the article do you disagree with?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What in the article specifically do you find to be pointless? What in the article do you disagree with?
I agree with SJ Gould, non-overlapping magisteria. One has nothing to do with the other . The tools of one are inappropriate to work with the other

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scary is EXACTLY the right word when supposed Christians reinterpret the Bible & promote naturalistic science, mixing truth with error. That has been called heresy since the beginning of the church & doesn't surprise spiritually discerning Christians who have the Spirit of God.

And by the way, Wheaton has not been considered a 'conservative Christian' college for a long time. They have continued to compromise, deceive & outright lie about things. Here is one such example by a gay person the administration with the president's approval hired back in 2016.

How a Top Christian School Turned Against Its Gay Leader

Here is another example from an article from the 'Chicago Tribune':

Professor Larycia Hawkins has been asked to affirm the college’s statement of faith four times since she started teaching at Wheaton nearly NINE YEARS AGO! She was first admonished for writing an academic paper about what Christians could learn from black LIBERATION theology, which relates the Bible with the often-troubled history of race relations in America. Jones said Hawkins’ article seemed to endorse a kind of Marxism.

She was called in a year later to defend a photograph someone posted on Facebook showing her at a party inside a home on Halsted Street the same day as Chicago’s Pride Parade. Last spring she was asked to affirm the statement again after suggesting that diversifying the college curriculum should include diplomatic vocabulary for conversations around sexuality.

Last month she faced questions a fourth time over her Facebook post that Muslims & Christians worship THE SAME GOD. She said she was simply reiterating that there is common ground among the monotheistic Abrahamic faiths, which many theologians have said for centuries.

Here is another excellent article by Dr. Norman Geisler, an internationally known & respected Biblical scholar & textual critic on John H. Walton's book, 'The Lost World of Adam & Eve' (he is one of the main author's of this new book at Wheaton).

Book Review: The Lost World of Adam and Eve

Here is Dr. Geisler's summary & conclusion.

Summary and Conclusion
The Biblical evidence for one man Adam being the progenitor of the entire human race is strong biblically & historically. But, motivated by a “consensus” of contemporary science, some (like Walton) have attempted to REINTERPRET the biblical data to fit into a theistic evolutionary scheme.

However, a strong group of intelligent design scientists have eroded the genetic basis for macroevolution. And an examination of the strained biblical exegesis of Wheaton’s professor Walton has left the whole Biologos evolutionary dreams (to CONVERT evangelical Christianity to theistic evolution) without biblical, historical, or scientific grounds.

The Bible is clear, Adam was the “first man” (1 Cor. 15:45). And God “made from one man every nation of mankind to live on the face of the earth” (Acts 17:26). Further, “sin entered the world through one man & death through sin, so death spread to all men…[and] death reigned from Adam” on to us (Rom. 5:12-14). This is what I was taught at Wheaton a GENERATION ago & have been teaching it ever since.

However, a new generation has arisen that knows not Kantzer, Culver & Kaiser. They have convinced themselves from EXTRA-BIBLICAL SOURCES, in whose light they reinterpret the Bible, that Adam was not the first man; that his body is genetically the same as other early hominids, that all humans are not Adam’s descendants; that human death is not the result of Adam’s sin & that Darwin was basically right about common ancestry!

All I can say is that this is not the Wheaton I knew, nor is it the one to which I can recommend my grandchildren.

So no, Wheaton college is no longer considered a conservative Christian college, due to the many compromises it has made, including those above & then this thread topic of the creation-evolution controversy, seeking to try & compromise the two different world views through compromise, re-interpretation & deception in my opinion.

This is part of the great falling away before the final Antichrist appears and unites the world against God and against His Christ, the Lord Jesus. (Psalm 2; 2 Thess 2, 2 Peter 3, etc.)

Dr. Jonathan Sarfati has written a series of books refuting this evolution/creation compromise & how evolution is directly contrary to the Scriptural account of creation not just in Genesis 1 but ITS CONSISTENT TESTIMONY THROUGHOUT THE BIBLE.

Dr Jonathan D Sarfati - creation.com

Richard Dawkins debated Jonathan Sarfati only ONCE & has avoided him ever since when Sarfati soundly refuted Dawkin's evolutionary assumptions & dismissal of creationism & the Creator.

In Matt 24:24,25 Jesus warns His disciples, “False christs & false prophets will rise & show great signs & wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand.”

Can Satan Deceive God's Elect?

Here are some key critiques of Dr. John Walton & his aberrent interpretations of Scripture--who is one of the key co-authors of this new Wheaton textbook. He & others at Wheaton has linked with BioLogic, a theistic evolutionary group that has helped fund this new book, with Dr. Francis Collins as a main proponent.

Not only have they helped fund this book, but pay for Dr. Walton to travel all over to Christian colleges & seminaries primarily, to try & convince them of this TOTALLY NEW RE-INTERPRETATION of Scripture that is radically different than ancient traditional & historical Christianity concerning Biblical understanding.

Their purpose is to CONVERT us Christians to theistic evolutionary creationism (an oxymoron) & are just as fervent in their desire to do this as we Christians are to preach the BIBLICAL GOSPEL to the LOST & blinded & deceived.

We are now to supposedly re-interpret Scripture from ancient pagan, polytheistic views of the world at that time, devoid of Scriptural truth & force their pagan understanding of the world onto the Biblical revelation of God.

Theistic evolutionists have latched onto this totally new & foreign interpretation of Scripture, so that the naturalistic (devoid of God philosophy) theory of evolution & cosmology can be 'married' to God's revelation of Himself & His creation, compromising & deceiving people & supposedly making us all happy & singing, 'kumbyah.'

Review Walton the lost world of genesis one - creation.com

The Lost World of Adam and Eve: A Response

https://isgenesishistory.com/gnostic-world-of-john-walton/

Lost World of John Walton - creation.com

https://creation.com/images/pdfs/tj/j29_2/j29_2_47-51.pdf

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Scary is EXACTLY the right word when supposed Christians reinterpret the Bible & promote naturalistic science, mixing truth with error. That has been called heresy since the beginning of the church & doesn't surprise spiritually discerning Christians who have the Spirit of God.

And by the way, Wheaton has not been considered a 'conservative Christian' college for a long time. They have continued to compromise, deceive & outright lie about things. Here is one such example by a gay person the administration with the president's approval hired back in 2016.

Professor Larycia Hawkins has been asked to affirm the college’s statement of faith four times since she started teaching at Wheaton nearly NINE YEARS AGO! She was first admonished for writing an academic paper about what Christians could learn from black LIBERATION theology, which relates the Bible with the often-troubled history of race relations in America. Jones said Hawkins’ article seemed to endorse a kind of Marxism.

She was called in a year later to defend a photograph someone posted on Facebook showing her at a party inside a home on Halsted Street the same day as Chicago’s Pride Parade. Last spring she was asked to affirm the statement again after suggesting that diversifying the college curriculum should include diplomatic vocabulary for conversations around sexuality.

Last month she faced questions a fourth time over her Facebook post that Muslims & Christians worship THE SAME GOD. She said she was simply reiterating that there is common ground among the monotheistic Abrahamic faiths, which many theologians have said for centuries.

Here is another excellent article by Dr. Norman Geisler, an internationally known & respected Biblical scholar & textual critic on John H. Walton's book, 'The Lost World of Adam & Eve' (he is one of the main author's of this new book at Wheaton).

Summary and Conclusion
The Biblical evidence for one man Adam being the progenitor of the entire human race is strong biblically & historically. But, motivated by a “consensus” of contemporary science, some (like Walton) have attempted to REINTERPRET the biblical data to fit into a theistic evolutionary scheme.

However, a strong group of intelligent design scientists have eroded the genetic basis for macroevolution. And an examination of the strained biblical exegesis of Wheaton’s professor Walton has left the whole Biologos evolutionary dreams (to CONVERT evangelical Christianity to theistic evolution) without biblical, historical, or scientific grounds.

The Bible is clear, Adam was the “first man” (1 Cor. 15:45). And God “made from one man every nation of mankind to live on the face of the earth” (Acts 17:26). Further, “sin entered the world through one man & death through sin, so death spread to all men…[and] death reigned from Adam” on to us (Rom. 5:12-14). This is what I was taught at Wheaton a GENERATION ago & have been teaching it ever since.

However, a new generation has arisen that knows not Kantzer, Culver & Kaiser. They have convinced themselves from EXTRA-BIBLICAL SOURCES, in whose light they reinterpret the Bible, that Adam was not the first man; that his body is genetically the same as other early hominids, that all humans are not Adam’s descendants; that human death is not the result of Adam’s sin & that Darwin was basically right about common ancestry!

All I can say is that this is not the Wheaton I knew, nor is it the one to which I can recommend my grandchildren.

So no, Wheaton college is no longer considered a conservative Christian college, due to the many compromises it has made, including those above & then this thread topic of the creation-evolution controversy, seeking to try & compromise the two different world views through compromise, re-interpretation & deception in my opinion.

This is part of the great falling away before the final Antichrist appears and unites the world against God and against His Christ, the Lord Jesus. (Psalm 2; 2 Thess 2, 2 Peter 3, etc.)

Dr. Jonathan Sarfati has written a series of books refuting this evolution/creation compromise & how evolution is directly contrary to the Scriptural account of creation not just in Genesis 1 but ITS CONSISTENT TESTIMONY THROUGHOUT THE BIBLE.

Richard Dawkins debated Jonathan Sarfati only ONCE & has avoided him ever since when Sarfati soundly refuted Dawkin's evolutionary assumptions & dismissal of creationism & the Creator.

In Matt 24:24,25 Jesus warns His disciples, “False christs & false prophets will rise & show great signs & wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand.”

Here are some key critiques of Dr. John Walton & his aberrent interpretations of Scripture--who is one of the key co-authors of this new Wheaton textbook. He & others at Wheaton has linked with BioLogic, a theistic evolutionary group that has helped fund this new book, with Dr. Francis Collins as a main proponent.

Not only have they helped fund this book, but pay for Dr. Walton to travel all over to Christian colleges & seminaries primarily, to try & convince them of this TOTALLY NEW RE-INTERPRETATION of Scripture that is radically different than ancient traditional & historical Christianity concerning Biblical understanding.

Their purpose is to CONVERT us Christians to theistic evolutionary creationism (an oxymoron) & are just as fervent in their desire to do this as we Christians are to preach the BIBLICAL GOSPEL to the LOST & blinded & deceived.

We are now to supposedly re-interpret Scripture from ancient pagan, polytheistic views of the world at that time, devoid of Scriptural truth & force their pagan understanding of the world onto the Biblical revelation of God.

Theistic evolutionists have latched onto this totally new & foreign interpretation of Scripture, so that the naturalistic (devoid of God philosophy) theory of evolution & cosmology can be 'married' to God's revelation of Himself & His creation, compromising & deceiving people & supposedly making us all happy & singing, 'kumbyah.'

. Ok I stopped reading when they sorta yelled at that lady for saying Muslims and Christians worship the same God . We do worship the same God Muslims belong to are one of the 3 abrahamic faiths . Judaism Islam and Christianity,. Anyone who doesn’t know that is simply ignorant . And a bible college should know this

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with SJ Gould, non-overlapping magisteria. One has nothing to do with the other . The tools of one are inappropriate to work with the other
They're not entirely non-overlapping. Based on the best scientific and historical information, there was never an actual first pair of humans. That doesn't mean that the idea that we're all morally imperfect is wrong, but I think it impacts theology to some extent. Furthermore, as soon as you start looking at mainstream science, you're likely to look at mainstream archaeology and history as well, and find that many other stories in the OT, up to and including the Exodus, are not fully historical.

The overall impact is to attack the credibility of traditional inerrancy, and make it look a lot more like the Bible is a useful but fallible human record of God's actions with Israel and with Jesus and his early followers.

Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Summary and Conclusion

I'm curious what you think of flat earthism, a byproduct of reading the Bible in the same literal way as creationism.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They're not entirely non-overlapping. Based on the best scientific and historical information, there was never an actual first pair of humans. That doesn't mean that the idea that we're all morally imperfect is wrong, but I think it impacts theology to some extent. Furthermore, as soon as you start looking at mainstream science, you're likely to look at mainstream archaeology and history as well, and find that many other stories in the OT, up to and including the Exodus, are not fully historical.

The overall impact is to attack the credibility of traditional inerrancy, and make it look a lot more like the Bible is a useful but fallible human record of God's actions with Israel and with Jesus and his early followers.
when scientists debunk pseudoscience that’s in the Bible it’s really the believers problem that they believed something nonsensical in the first place. I really don’t have much sympathy for the believer because pseudoscience can be dangerous. Sometimes it’s just silly but sometimes,like with evolution deniers, it can be dangerous because that particular erroneous belief interferes with medical research. these erroneous or pseudoscience beliefs can also target minorities of all types or women for abuse

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"OK. I stopped reading when they sorta yelled at that lady for saying Muslims and Christians worship the same God . We do worship the same God Muslims belong to are one of the 3 abrahamic faiths . Judaism Islam and Christianity,. Anyone who doesn’t know that is simply ignorant . And a bible college should know this."

Anyone not ignorant of the Muslim beliefs & the Qur'an vs the Scriptural revelation of God and their diametrically opposed beliefs knows the clear difference between the two & that the God of Scripture is NOT the false god of Islam.

You are apparently ignorant of what Islam teaches concerning God, concerning Christ, concerning the Bible & how diametrically opposed they are to the truths of Scripture!

Every Bible college teaches the clear differences! You need to become educated on the stark differences between the two & how Islam is teaching a false gospel by a different jesus & by a different spirit.

2 Corinthians 11:3-6,12-15 But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere & pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes & proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough. ndeed, I consider that I am not in the least inferior to these super-apostles. Even if I am unskilled in speaking, I am not so in knowledge; indeed, in every way we have made this plain to you in all things.

And what I am doing I will continue to do, in order to undermine the claim of those who would like to claim that in their boasted mission they work on the same terms as we do. 13For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Islam teaches that God has no partners & has no Son. They deny the Sonship of Jesus to the Father. They deny the Trinity. They deny Jesus is God. Is this God the same God as the Christian God in Scripture. Not only is it not, but they adamantly DENY ALL OF IT.

Islam teaches that Jesus did not die on the cross; someone else died on the cross & the disciples & Mary herself was deceived, thinking it was Jesus!

Islam teaches Jesus not only didn't die on the cross but that He wasn't resurrected from the dead on the third day after He died & appeared to the apostles & the women & over 500 eyewitnesses.

This is the FOUNDATIONAL BELIEF of Christianity & it is the gospel we preach. Islam teaches JUST THE OPPOSITE & denies the resurrection. Is this the same God of Christianity & the Scriptures? Absolutely not.

I Cor 15:3-21 For I delivered to you as of FIRST IMPORTANCE what I also received: that Christ DIED for our sins in accordance with THE SCRIPTURES, that he was buried, that he was RAISED ON THE THIRD DAY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SCRIPTURES & that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than 500 brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.

Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am & his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

12Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is NO resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then NOT EVEN Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain & your faith is in vain. We are even found to be MISREPRESENTING God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom He did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is FUTILE & YOU ARE STILL IN YOUR SINS. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.

20But IN FACT Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.

So a God who says Jesus didn't die, nor did He rise from the dead in accordance to the true prophetic Scriptures, is a false god & not the Biblical God.

I would recommend reading the following materials to educate yourself on the diatmetrically opposed teachings of Islam & their false god vs the true Biblical God of Holy Scripture & the true testimony of who the Lord Jesus Christ is.

Here is an excellent article that will dispel the myth that the God of Islam & the God of the Bible are the same God. This comes from a former Muslim who became a spiritually born again Christian and follower of the Biblical Christ. It also briefly mentions this same woman teacher at Wheaton in the article.

Do Muslims and Christians Worship the Same God?

Is the God of Islam the Same God as Christianity?

No God but One: Allah or Jesus? A Former Muslim Investigates the Evidence for Islam and Christianity | Reformed Faith & Practice

The Message of Islam vs. The Gospel of Jesus

Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?

Hopefully, this will help you in factually understanding that the God of Islam is not the God of the Bible nor is their Isa the Lord Jesus Christ of the Bible. I can give hundreds of more examples, many from former Muslims themselves, who have become Christians & clearly explain the difference.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"I'm curious what you think of flat earthism, a byproduct of reading the Bible in the same literal way as creationism."

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes & examines him.

Here are articulate, historical & hermeneutical refutations of your false premise, that the Bible, those in the historical past & creationists believe that the earth was/is flat.

Does the Bible Teach that the Earth is Flat?

Flat Earth vs Creationism - A Biblical perspective

Refuting flat earth - creation.com

Does the Bible Teach a Flat Earth?

Many more examples can be given but these are more than sufficient. And by the way, those who believe in creationism do not take a TOTALLY literal approach to Scripture, which you SHOULD KNOW IF you are knowledgeable.

The historical-grammatical hermeneutic looks at the literal as the normal view unless the Scripture shows otherwise. So the creationist 'literal' view uses the normal grammatical usages of language when the Bible talks about metaphors, similies, allegories, parables, etc. when the Bible shows that to be the case (Matt 13; Gal 4, etc.)

Were Adam & Eve literal creations of God? Did all human beings come from them or some supposed evolved common ancestor?

Jesus thought so! The prophets like Malachi (ch. 2) did & the apostles, like Paul did (Acts 17). So the argument is not just the 'reinterpreted' Genesis 1 account but creation THROUGHOUT the whole Bible & Jesus, who is the truth & what He said was the truth concerning Adam & Eve. He ought to know. HE WAS THERE, THE DIVINE EYEWITNESS.

One cannot focus solely on Gen 1 & ignore the rest of the Bible & what Jesus, the prophets & the apostles all taught! Thanks by the way for the question! :) I am happy to be able to give a reason for the hope that is within me.

I Pet 3:15 Aramaic in Plain English 'But hallow THE LORD JEHOVAH The Messiah in your hearts & be ready to return a defense (Greek literally is apologia--apologetic) to everyone who requests a statement from you about the hope of your faith, in meekness & in reverence.

Hallow is the same Greek word here used to address God the Son, that is also used in the Lord's prayer addressing God the Father.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe that God created nature?
Do you believe that the scriptures were inspired by God?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe that God created nature?
Do you believe that the scriptures were inspired by God?
Yes but beliefs aren’t the same as verifiable evidence.
Inspired yes , unedited and unchanged , inerrant no. And we also don’t live in a Bronze Age society some things that were accepted then are looked at with horror now

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wheaton College (a conservative evangelical college) professors have penned what is believed to be the first college-level textbook outlining mainstream scientific theories on origins of life and how they fit within a biblical framework, something they say has been lacking in Christian higher education for decades.

It's hard for me to evaluate the book well, because I haven't read it, but it looks like it's intended to guide young Evangelical students into ways of thinking about theology and Scripture that will allow them to accept mainstream science while still holding an inerrantist view of Scripture, and while still holding a belief in the Christian faith more generally. Apparently, Wheaton teaches a course on exactly this topic. (The course is new since my years as a Wheaton student.)

Many students who enter Wheaton were raised to be young earth creationists. I was. Further, they may have been taught that if the earth is old (and/or if evolution is true), then the Bible is not inerrant, and if the Bible is not inerrant, then the Christian faith is false. I was taught that too, growing up. It's important for Wheaton professors, then, to guide students -- especially students in the sciences -- into ways of thinking about their faith that will allow them to remain Christians even as they study biology, geology, astronomy, and so forth. To address one of Brightmoon's concerns, I don't think the authors are going for intelligent design, in a god-of-the-gaps sense; I think the authors practice genuine, mainstream science, and that they're addressing ways that Christian theology can be compatible with mainstream science.

Again, I'll be able to evaluate the book better after I've read it. But I'm encouraged by the efforts of Wheaton's science professors to help their students come to a more mature and robust faith.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I’m wondering how the bolded impacts your perception of Paul’s take on the first pair of humans, if there were in fact no actual first pair of humans? There is quite a discrepancy, I find, of those who take Paul literally yet don’t take what he refers to literally. I’d like to see a comparative study of the two, if those who take Paul literally match up in their view of Genesis. I think that the discrepancy would be quite illuminating.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I’m wondering how the bolded impacts your perception of Paul’s take on the first pair of humans, if there were in fact no actual first pair of humans? There is quite a discrepancy, I find, of those who take Paul literally yet don’t take what he refers to literally. I’d like to see a comparative study of the two, if those who take Paul literally match up in their view of Genesis. I think that the discrepancy would be quite illuminating.
That's why I said that there are theological implications. Please remember that I don't think Paul was inerrant. He probably believed that there was an actual pair of humans. But his argument still works if there aren't. I use fictional characters as examples all the time when I'm teaching Sunday School. They give us a set of shared stories we can use to help talk about and understand things.

In Rom 5, he says Adam was a type of Christ. In 1 Cor 15, as all die in Adam, all will live in Christ. In both cases he's speaking of Adam as as an example to illuminate Christ. He does not say that we inherit Adam's sin. It's hard to see how we could inherit sin from a non-existent person, although we could regard Adam as symbolic even then. But he doesn't say that. He says that sin spread to all because all sinned.

And even if it did cause problem with Paul, given a choice between biologists and Paul on human origins, I'm going to take biologists. We'll accommodate our understanding of theology to what we know.

I noted above that accepting mainstream science, and particularly mainstream science, archaeology and history, really is only consistent with a model where the Bible is a human witness to God's work, but is not God's actual words.

Upvote 0