What's your opinion on healing ministries?

Are you for or against healing ministries?

• For

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Against

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Other (explain in response)

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Carl, these comments make me think that you pray for healings but are not a "healer" in the sense that most of us have in mind or what is meant when people refer to the gifts of the Holy Spirit, one of which is the gift of healing.
I don't get into the theology of healing, I just pray for folks and they get healed. I am partly here to encourage folks to do what He did, there is an exciting life out there with Him. Few seem to be interested, it is a lot easier to sit back and be entertained on Sundays.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
God still does supernatural miracles today. I was delivered from drug addiction through the spirit, small miracle compared to some but to say that there is no such thing as healings anymore to me is ridiculous. There are so many testimonies of people being healed in my church alone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God still does supernatural miracles today. I was delivered from drug addiction through the spirit, small miracle compared to some but to say that there is no such thing as healings anymore to me is ridiculous. There are so many testimonies of people being healed in my church alone.
Its just that the term "Healing Ministry" here has produced two different approaches to the subject: 1) persons who supposedly can heal others...and 2) people who make praying for God to heal the sick their special ministry (i. e. commitment).

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Its just that the term "Healing Ministry" here has produced two different approaches to the subject: 1) persons who supposedly can heal others...and 2) people who make praying for God to heal the sick their special ministry (i. e. commitment).

I believe people can, I believe you can if you seek it. That’s my belief.

Upvote 0

asking_about_healing

May 29, 2019
Colorado
✟16,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I voted "for" healing ministries, but as that term may mean any number of things, I thought I should explain.

It seems to me we should be in favor of people being healed. That is why we go to doctors after all. And Jesus miraculously healed a lot of people, so healing surely can't be wrong by default. It's also worth noting that Jesus was accused of being occult in his healing practices, and that some of the things he did (spitting on blind eyes, sticking finders in deaf ears, etc.) are more like the sorts of things shamen do than what good Jewish boys ought to be doing. The outward appearance of Jesus' healing work had more in common with back-street magicians than with doctors or priests.

I don't see any reason healing needs to happen in a "healing meeting," and if Craig Keener's excellent two volume work, Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts, is any indication, most miraculous healings don't happen in those meetings; they happen in the relative anonymity of peoples regular daily lives.

I have a friend who had a large benign tumor on her ovary. Because of the size of the tumor and the risk of it twisting and causing incredible pain resulting in an emergency operation, the doctor wanted to proactively operate and remove the ovary along with the tumor. At a home bible study, someone told my friend they "didn't want to freak her out but they thought they had the gift of healing." They prayed for her and the next time the doctor scanned the tumor it was gone. It seems to me the person who prayed for my firnd might have a healing ministry, but it's nothing like what most of us picture when we hear those words.

If Jesus miraculously heals multiple people through the faithful obedience of a person who quietly lays hands on the sick without seeking any fame or fortune, I think that's fantastic. So yes, in that context, I am absolutely in favor of healing ministries.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm expressly against healing ministries in the vein of those who 'touch to heal' and whatnot, as I find it rooted in pagan practices and not historic Christianity, in which healings were dramatic and obviously of God and were real and lasting.

There's a passage in Sirach that, I realize isn't regarded as Canonical by the majority of Protestants, but is still nevertheless I think wise to heed,

"Give doctors the honor they deserve, for the Lord gave them their work to do. Their skill came from the Most High, and kings reward them for it. Their knowledge gives them a position of importance, and powerful people hold them in high regard.

The Lord created medicines from the earth, and a sensible person will not hesitate to use them. Didn't a tree once make bitter water fit to drink, so that the Lord's power might be known? He gave medical knowledge to human beings, so that we would praise him for the miracles he performs. The druggist mixes these medicines, and the doctor will use them to cure diseases and ease pain. There is no end to the activities of the Lord, who gives health to the people of the world.
" - Sirach 38:1-8

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. I agree. If Benny Hinn truly has this gift why doesn’t he go to hospice and empty the place? I also believe the purpose for such miracles broadly speaking were to show the power of the Gospel of the Lord and not to awe at someone’s “talent”. And there in lies the problem as one doesn' hear the Gospel from these folks rather they are fed a false hope for a price
Yes, for a price they sell us their doctrine and promise healing. They never miss a chance to write and sell a new book, or film and sell a new video series, but they cant visit shriners hospital once.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Does this not also apply to preachers - Why arn't our 'acclaimed' preachers preaching in the Streets?

A pastor's vocation and ministry is to his congregation, as Minister of Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,477.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes but in the same way big name healers don't go to hospitals - big name preachers arn't seen on the streets.

We dont have big name 'preachers' in the Catholic church. Our priests do visit hospitals though. Almost every day too.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm expressly against healing ministries in the vein of those who 'touch to heal' and whatnot, as I find it rooted in pagan practices and not historic Christianity, in which healings were dramatic and obviously of God and were real and lasting.
No one has the gift of healing, only God heals. If a ministry is focused on healing then they do not know Jesus Christ of Nazareth as His ministry was focused on the Kingdom of God.
Blessings!

Upvote 0