What's your garden like at this time of year?

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I read your post I began thinking of Australia. Your description seemed to find that continent so closely. Then when I read your profile and discovered that, indeed, you do live in Australia, it all made perfect sense. You do have my sympathy.

Don't worry, I feel sorry for myself when I'm trudging along!!
I get so hot and sweaty (yuk)

Its not all awful, yesterday I took the time to sit outside and watch the little birds in the birdbath having a splendid time.
Then the red and blue parrots eating some seed I had put out.
The little birds, firetail finches, wrens, honeyeaters and others are always so happy in their lives and don't worry about being close to you, the chirping and shaking themselves after their bath just reminds me to see the joy in the simple things and be content like they are.
It well illustrates Matthew 6 where we are told not to worry, that God feeds the birds, how glorious the lilies of the field are and I'm reminded that He cares so much and we are to seek His kingdom first and His righteousness and to simply be thankful.

Having said that I must say that I love to watch the UK programs with the most beautiful countryside and woods.
The hedgerows, the lanes, the fields with poppies, The green! So many shades.
Just gorgeous!

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟114,965.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
My garden is waking up, and it’s beautiful. (it’s not as beautiful as Eden of course)

I didn’t know where else to post this complaint, so, in the interest of trolls, this pointless thread will do.

I keep getting ads when I log in, such as;
Tarot readings and horoscopes, and underwear. As I never look at any of that muhumbo jumbo, why am I getting these pagan ads?
Think I’ll have to leave here. It was nice while it lasted...not!

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,419.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Don't worry, I feel sorry for myself when I'm trudging along!!
I get so hot and sweaty (yuk)

Its not all awful, yesterday I took the time to sit outside and watch the little birds in the birdbath having a splendid time.
Then the red and blue parrots eating some seed I had put out.
The little birds, firetail finches, wrens, honeyeaters and others are always so happy in their lives and don't worry about being close to you, the chirping and shaking themselves after their bath just reminds me to see the joy in the simple things and be content like they are.
It well illustrates Matthew 6 where we are told not to worry, that God feeds the birds, how glorious the lilies of the field are and I'm reminded that He cares so much and we are to seek His kingdom first and His righteousness and to simply be thankful.

Having said that I must say that I love to watch the UK programs with the most beautiful countryside and woods.
The hedgerows, the lanes, the fields with poppies, The green! So many shades.
Just gorgeous!

Thank you for the lovely description of your birds. I also enjoy the birds here. Our cardinals stay through the winter. This past week I saw my first robin - a sure sign of spring. Our state bird is the lovely goldfinch. God has truly blessed us with his glorious creation.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My garden is waking up, and it’s beautiful. (it’s not as beautiful as Eden of course)

I didn’t know where else to post this complaint, so, in the interest of trolls, this pointless thread will do.

I keep getting ads when I log in, such as;
Tarot readings and horoscopes, and underwear. As I never look at any of that muhumbo jumbo, why am I getting these pagan ads?
Think I’ll have to leave here. It was nice while it lasted...not!

Your garden must be lovely there.

As far as the ads I have gotten similar and just keep clicking on the little box in the right hand corner with an x (its a faint pale blue on my phone). Eventually they have gotten less.

They do crop up now and again and I do the same as before.

Don't let those rubbish things prevent you from coming on the forum. Us Christians need to stick together in an increasingly UNgodly world.:groupray:

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the lovely description of your birds. I also enjoy the birds here. Our cardinals stay through the winter. This past week I saw my first robin - a sure sign of spring. Our state bird is the lovely goldfinch. God has truly blessed us with his glorious creation.

You are so right with your comment on Gods glorious creation.
Your birds sound lovely too. I've seen a picture of cardinals, they are red aren't they? We do have robins, but I may see one per year.
Well peace was shattered this morning with a group of cockatoos arguing loudly up in the gum trees screeching at one another and then tonight too, much to the great annoyance of my two dogs. They don't mind other birds but they bark and chase the cockatoos. Don't worry they always get away and are quite destructive, they have almost finished up my plum tree they have come back the last two years and sat in it and methodically broken off the ends of the branches and dropped them on the ground just for the heck of it.
I think I will have to get another tree, its half dead already.
I think I started my dogs off chasing them by me going out trying to shoo them away.
Now they bark and run back to me proudly "Look what we've done for you!";)

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟114,965.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Your garden must be lovely there.

As far as the ads I have gotten similar and just keep clicking on the little box in the right hand corner with an x (its a faint pale blue on my phone). Eventually they have gotten less.

They do crop up now and again and I do the same as before.

Don't let those rubbish things prevent you from coming on the forum. Us Christians need to stick together in an increasingly UNgodly world.:groupray:
Sorry for moaning, And Thank you. I just need to tap the inappropriate box.
I’m on other forums which doesn’t have them, so I do spend more time them :)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Sorry for moaning, And Thank you. I just need to tap the inappropriate box.
I’m on other forums which doesn’t have them, so I do spend more time them :)
I don't think that Christian Forums has any control over the ads which pop up, but I'm glad that you are deciding to stay. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Abide with me.

Jan 8, 2021
Norfolk
✟40,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's mid May here in East Anglia UK and our garden looks it's most beautiful this time of year, we have approximately 2 acres of garden, orchard, 2 ponds and a paddock, and house & road free countryside views, we have a huge variety of trees which are all out in blossom at present, the orchard is filled with cherry and apple blossom, the ground is covered with cow parsley, bluebells and so many wild flowers its hard to count, the lilac and horse chestnuts are blossoming it's all SO colourful, the flower beds are yet to spring into colour, the peonies are about to burst out, but the conservatory boasts a mass of red and pink Giant peligoniams, and Geranium's which are huge because I overwintered them, and I also have a grapevine and lemon tree in there.
The whether this May is unusually cold, wet and windy for the driest, sunniest part of the country, but I LOVE to sit in my conservatory, reading my Bible with my morning cofee in the sun and looking out over the pond at our rare breed geese, it's so warm and still in there, mmmmm lovely!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,419.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is gloomy with a light, steady rain here in Iowa today. On my minuscule house lot, which is heavily shaded by very large trees, including the largest pin oak in Iowa, I have a lilac bush in full bloom and irises which are just beginning to bloom.

Upvote 0

Abide with me.

Jan 8, 2021
Norfolk
✟40,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Summer is definitely here in the UK in June, after SUCH a long spell of cold dark wet weather, it's finally really warm sunny and still, but after all that rain everything is growing like crazy, even the weeds!

I thought I heard a large drone flying over my house the other day, but it was a swarm if bees settling into our 16th century chimney pot, spectacular! And quite a thing to see them making their way down the chimney and out of the wood burner on our living room!

I encountered them again last week when I was finally planting out the multitude of delphiniums and lupins I have been growing from seed since March.
I got stung by a bee on my foot when I realised they were coming out en mass from an Airbrick below our dining room window, I guess they are also nesting under our dining room floorboards!
My foot and ankle has swollen up to double it's size and is the colour of a lobster, and has the texture of orange peel! And is burning hot! To make matters worse, I got a mosquito bite on the same foot the other night! And had to sleep with my foot in a bucket of cold water by my bed!
The Lupins are beautiful though!:amen::clap::oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,419.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Iowa has passed into summer now. The bulb flowers are done as are the irises. My hostas are exceptionally robust this year and are ready to flower.

Take care with bees. I was stung once on my wrist and had to go to urgent care for treatment after my hand ballooned up and the swelling began going up my arm. That was the first and, hopefully, last serious allergic reaction I have had to a bee sting.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I can't tolerate temps in the nineties. I almost had heatstroke once. So even though I need to be weeding and planting, I can't.

Good News:
I grew a hollyhock from seed. In all these years I'd never planted a hollyhock. I had no idea what color it would be. It began to bloom a couple of days ago and it's a gorgeous light pink!

I hope the wasps don't like it. I can't handle wasps.

Helpful:
The Truth about Hollyhocks - Surfing Hydrangea Nursery, Inc.
1 Pink Hollyhock.jpg

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Summer is definitely here in the UK in June, after SUCH a long spell of cold dark wet weather, it's finally really warm sunny and still, but after all that rain everything is growing like crazy, even the weeds!

I thought I heard a large drone flying over my house the other day, but it was a swarm if bees settling into our 16th century chimney pot, spectacular! And quite a thing to see them making their way down the chimney and out of the wood burner on our living room!

I encountered them again last week when I was finally planting out the multitude of delphiniums and lupins I have been growing from seed since March.
I got stung by a bee on my foot when I realised they were coming out en mass from an Airbrick below our dining room window, I guess they are also nesting under our dining room floorboards!
My foot and ankle has swollen up to double it's size and is the colour of a lobster, and has the texture of orange peel! And is burning hot! To make matters worse, I got a mosquito bite on the same foot the other night! And had to sleep with my foot in a bucket of cold water by my bed!
The Lupins are beautiful though!:amen::clap::oldthumbsup:

Oh, I'm so concerned. I hope you've seen a doctor! PLEASE see a doctor.

Lupins grow wild in New England and they're very beautiful. I haven't seen any here in the midwest. An expert gardener might be able to grow them though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abide with me.

Jan 8, 2021
Norfolk
✟40,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I'm so concerned. I hope you've seen a doctor! PLEASE see a doctor.

Lupins grow wild in New England and they're very beautiful. I haven't seen any here in the midwest. An expert gardener might be able to grow them though.
Thank you for your concern, but the swelling is going down now, but not before I got it sunburned and nettle stung today! I could of have avoided the garden altogether today but what gardener can ignore trees taking root in amongst the weeds in flower borders! They are the devil to get out once they have become established.
I bet new England wild lupins are stunning, are they native?
I planted out the lupins I grew from seed, they said they'd grow to 5 foot tall, but they have started flowering and are only 10 inches tall, is this normal for the first year?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you for your concern, but the swelling is going down now, but not before I got it sunburned and nettle stung today! I could of have avoided the garden altogether today but what gardener can ignore trees taking root in amongst the weeds in flower borders! They are the devil to get out once they have become established.
I bet new England wild lupins are stunning, are they native?
I planted out the lupins I grew from seed, they said they'd grow to 5 foot tall, but they have started flowering and are only 10 inches tall, is this normal for the first year?

I can't tell you about what is normal for lupines(American spelling) as I've not had any luck with them!

Today I was getting rid of little maple tree seedings along the edge of a flower bed. I have to do it annually as my neighbors have a mature maple in their front yard.

Lupinus polyphyllus, the large-leaved lupine, big-leaved lupine, many-leaved lupine, blue-pod lupine, or, primarily in cultivation, garden lupin, is a species of lupine (lupin) native to western North America from southern Alaska and British Columbia east to Quebec, and western Wyoming, and south to Utah and California ...
Lupinus polyphyllus - Wikipedia

I thought they were native to the U. K.! LOL.

The herbaceous lupin Lupinus polyphyllus arrived in Britain from North America in the 1820s, brought over by David Douglas. Almost a century later, George Russell, a horticulturist from York, UK, started to breed the (later famous) Russell hybrids (Lupinus × russellii hort).[6][7] Lupinus polphyllus were originally of basic colours and had large gaps in the flowering spike. Without the use of modern-day plant breeding techniques, Russell took to ruthlessly pulling out any plants which he deemed to be unacceptable in growth or display. He spent two decades single-handedly trying to breed the perfect lupin, crossing L. polyphyllus with L. arboreus, L. sulphureus and one or more annual species (maybe L. nootkatensis).

--- wikipedia

Texas Bluebonnets photo:

https://www.amazon.com/Outsidepride-Texas-Bluebonnet-Seed-Seeds/dp/B006F6PCJM

Texas bluebonnets won't grow in our northern states. I've never visited Texas in the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We are in the middle of a disastrous heat wave/drought in the Southwest. The garden is suffering but the mice are "enjoying" our new plants regardless. My wife says that 2021 may be a garden-less year.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,419.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We are in the middle of a disastrous heat wave/drought in the Southwest. The garden is suffering but the mice are "enjoying" our new plants regardless. My wife says that 2021 may be a garden-less year.

I have been seeing about the plague of mice in the news. It looks really terrible. I hope they are not in your house, as well.

Upvote 0