What's your garden like at this time of year?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you, rebornfree! What color(s) are your tulips?

When I opened my front door today I saw the package with my hummingbird garden plants. YAY! But it feels cold out there, so I put the plants in the garage.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
A mixture of pink and yellow. A neighbour gave them to me as a 'thank you' for cat feeding. They are the tallest tulips I've ever seen. Unfortunately I've no means of taking a photo at the moment.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A mixture of pink and yellow. A neighbour gave them to me as a 'thank you' for cat feeding. They are the tallest tulips I've ever seen. Unfortunately I've no means of taking a photo at the moment.

Those are colors I love! I had some tulips but something kept eating them --- probably rabbits.

I can't take photos now either. I'm only posting old photos.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
IMG_20190419_141739.jpg

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A few of my white violets have bloomed! I had so many daffodils in bloom yesterday that I decided to cut a whole bunch (five or six different kinds) and give them to my neighbors who invited people over for a pizza party.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Everything is starting to come out in bloom now! Here in England we've been enjoying more milder weather compared to previous weeks. As I returned from work early this morning, some of the tree lined roads have come out in cherry blossom colours.

Hope your neighbours enjoy their pizza party! :)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
A few of my white violets have bloomed! I had so many daffodils in bloom yesterday that I decided to cut a whole bunch (five or six different kinds) and give them to my neighbors who invited people over for a pizza party.
How lovely! :)
Everything is starting to come out in bloom now! Here in England we've been enjoying more milder weather compared to previous weeks. As I returned from work early this morning, some of the tree lined roads have come out in cherry blossom colours.
It's been a beautiful few days, hasn't it? :) On Saturday evening some neighbours and I sat outside having drinks and a chat until nearly 10pm. Tonight I watered the plants, which I can't ever remember doing in April before.

I love blossom. The tree which overhangs my garden is just producing leaves as well; the green and pink look beautiful together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm confused about my tulips. Maybe the rabbits aren't guilty. Would deer eat them? The deer stopped coming around when the neighbors got rid of their apple tree. They bought the house from previous neighbors and removed about five trees.

? I thought trees are good. ?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have some good news. The pigeon's nest is now empty. Mother pigeon and squabs have now moved on to their new home. It was so nice having them to stay!

And not bad to have them go! ;)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I've made the most of another sunny spell by filling one of my hanging baskets with petunias, lobelia, verbena, geranium and ivy as well as planting troughs with busy lizzies and petunias. I've also bought another fuchsia - I can never resist them! I'm hoping to grow herbs in my remaining basket, but that will have to wait for a few days. :)

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've made the most of another sunny spell by filling one of my hanging baskets with petunias, lobelia, verbena, geranium and ivy as well as planting troughs with busy lizzies and petunias. I've also bought another fuchsia - I can never resist them! I'm hoping to grow herbs in my remaining basket, but that will have to wait for a few days. :)

Hope your neighbours enjoy their pizza party! :)

That all sounds so beautiful, I am in Victoria, Australia and am currently in Autumn. Because of the way the weather has changed only the very hardiest plants survive. For me so long as I can keep the trees alive is an achievement after Summers here. I remember our garden before the weather pattern changed permanently and our garden was a cottage garden with foxgloves, hollyhocks,roses, cornflowers, daffodils of many kinds, jonquils, tulips, snowdrops, multiple daisies, sweetpeas, etc in Spring. There wasn't a time that we didn't have fresh flowers in the house.

For around the last twenty years after brutal droughts, it has all changed. The only flowers I have now are daisies, geraniums (in pots) and petunias (in pots). I concentrate on hardy shrubs and keeping the trees going.
The sun is so harsh now that my one surviving rose, when it does bloom, the petals burn and dry. Even the geraniums burn in the Summer and they are not in full sun.

Still we finally have had some rain over the last few weeks and I am so happy to see green emerge where you would think no grass would ever grow again and what garden I do have seems to have heaved a sigh of relief!

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
No, wonder Mr. McGregor was upset! I saw Peter outdoors eating my violets near my favorite tulip and the tulip has been eaten, too!

:argh:
I'm so sorry that your violets have been eaten too! You'll have to find some less delicious plants to grow (but no making rabbit pie! :eek:) :D.

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
That all sounds so beautiful, I am in Victoria, Australia and am currently in Autumn. Because of the way the weather has changed only the very hardiest plants survive. For me so long as I can keep the trees alive is an achievement after Summers here. I remember our garden before the weather pattern changed permanently and our garden was a cottage garden with foxgloves, hollyhocks,roses, cornflowers, daffodils of many kinds, jonquils, tulips, snowdrops, multiple daisies, sweetpeas, etc in Spring. There wasn't a time that we didn't have fresh flowers in the house.

For around the last twenty years after brutal droughts, it has all changed. The only flowers I have now are daisies, geraniums (in pots) and petunias (in pots). I concentrate on hardy shrubs and keeping the trees going.
The sun is so harsh now that my one surviving rose, when it does bloom, the petals burn and dry. Even the geraniums burn in the Summer and they are not in full sun.

Still we finally have had some rain over the last few weeks and I am so happy to see green emerge where you would think no grass would ever grow again and what garden I do have seems to have heaved a sigh of relief!
That is really interesting Heavenhome. :) Your cottage garden had the same sort of plants as we grow in England, only you seem to have been much more successful than I have in producing a good display of flowers. :D I always imagined Victoria to be the most lush of the mainland Australian Provinces, and although I know your country has had some bad droughts in recent years, I didn't know that they had affected the SE so much. I can't imagine petals burning in the sun. :( I'm pleased however that you've now had rain and I hope that your garden thrives this autumn. Have the leaves on the trees changed colour?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm so sorry that your violets have been eaten too! You'll have to find some less delicious plants to grow (but no making rabbit pie! :eek:) :D.

That's okay. My violets are as prolific as rabbits! Then everything in our neighborhood got pelted by large hail Saturday night before I went to bed! There were leaves in the yards and streets all over town on Sunday. Our roofs are going to be inspected.

Today was FUN! I'm good with children and it's so rewarding when they see me and yell, "Hi!" Well, today I had loads of neighbors show up in my yard! As I started weeding and was going to plant, I got up and was going inside for something, I looked down and saw a large polyphemus moth just beneath the front door. I called the kids over from across the street and their mother wanted to see what we were doing. Well, then another neighbor came over to talk about the hail damage. Pretty soon her husband joined us. He said he's never seen such a large moth. I said, "Are you serious? Haven't you see a luna moth?" No? I had one on the door to my garage one year. I guess it's because I spend so much time tending my flowers. So while we were talking another neighbor was pushing his daughter in a stroller and one of the neighbors on my little 7' x 9' porch asked him to come and look.

Upvote 0