Helena
✟206,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I bought a Mossberg 590 shockwave just thinking of for HD because it's small, light, and easy to move around with in hallways, but expected it to not be very fun to shoot.. I expected it to absolutely wreck my wrists because people say pistol grip shotguns really suck to shoot but.. I've had a blast with it at the range, the fact that it does not have a stock means it doesn't beat me up so much, the way the raptor grip feels and deals with recoil force along your arm.. really liking it. Takes a little bit of practice because it doesn't have a stock, and I've heard friends have given themselves a nice punch in the face the first time they've handled it, so I threw on a laser so I don't really need to "aim" it, but provided I'm not putting my face behind it, pretty fun to shoot.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
12gauge or 20 gauge? Ears are a consideration for me as well. Anything inside a house will damage the ears.
I was only able to find it in 20ga, but maybe that's ideal for the lower recoil, although if I'd gotten it in 12ga they have those minishells you can use that are probably less recoil overall.

as for ears.. well.. my left ear constantly has the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE of tinnitus anyway.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was only able to find it in 20ga, but maybe that's ideal for the lower recoil, although if I'd gotten it in 12ga they have those minishells you can use that are probably less recoil overall.

as for ears.. well.. my left ear constantly has the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE of tinnitus anyway.
me too, wish I had been wiser years ago. I would settle on the 20 gauge as well. I have always understood the 12 gauge was settled on as a 12 g. magnum could stop a charging leopard and became the standard for stopping a threat.
A friend of mine was an armorer in the USMC when the contract for shotguns went to Mossberg, he told me they dug into the deep dark recesses of the armory for the old nasty, crusty shells and tried to get it to fail, they couldn't, it went "bang every time".

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
me too, wish I had been wiser years ago. I would settle on the 20 gauge as well. I have always understood the 12 gauge was settled on as a 12 g. magnum could stop a charging leopard and became the standard for stopping a threat.
A friend of mine was an armorer in the USMC when the contract for shotguns went to Mossberg, he told me they dug into the deep dark recesses of the armory for the old nasty, crusty shells and tried to get it to fail, they couldn't, it went "bang every time".
Well the caveat with 20ga is that there's less ammo variety and less aftermarket support 12ga has pretty good support since it's the most common shotgun gauge and the military uses it.
Like I said with the 12ga you can use the aguila minishells, but they're not in 20ga. I can fit 5 2 and 3/4" shells in the mag tube (and one in the chamber) on the shockwave though which is not bad for such a small firearm, with a 14" barrel (technically it's not a shotgun by definition since it's not shoulder fired, so it has a shorter barrel). But with the 12ga minishells I hear you can fit 8 or 9 shells in it. It needs a small adaptor to feed the minishells properly but it's not that big a deal. Eitherway though, it's mossberg, and yeah, their name speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Which make and model of shotgun is your favorite, from personal experience?

My main focus is home defense, rather than hunting or trap/skeet.

Why is it your favorite (smooth action, reliability, accuracy, ease of use, etc.)?

I have an 870 home defense hardwood for this purpose (~$350), but if money be no object, the Mossberg 930 Tactical would be my top pick.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0